• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Dominion fires bball coach Taylor

94Deac

Grouchy SOB
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8918095/blaine-taylor-fired-basketball-coach-old-dominion-monarchs

With a style built on rebounding and rugged defense, the Monarchs reached the NCAA tournament four times in the past eight seasons, winning in the first round in 2010. They have also played in the NIT, reaching the semifinals in 2006, won the championship of the inaugural collegeinsider.com tournament in 2009 and also played in the CIT last season and in the College Basketball Invitational in 2008.

Taylor has the most wins in school history, compiling 239 victories over 12 seasons

Old Dominion's 28-6 record in 2004-05 is the best in school history, and Taylor guided the Monarchs to 27-win seasons in 2009-10 and 2010-11. His record at Old Dominion is 239-144, and his career mark, including seven years as the head coach at his alma mater, Montana, from 1991-98, is 380-210.

However, being 2-20 this season, along with some other issues, brings Old Dominion to fire him during the season.

"This decision is not based solely on wins and losses, but a number of factors by which a head coach is evaluated," Selig said. "At this point, in regard to our head men's basketball coach, our student athletes need more mentorship, leadership and guidance. Our fans and alumni need encouragement. Our administration needs confidence in our leadership."

So. ODU > WFU?

No idea what happened to ODU this year, but if you look at Taylor's coaching record, it's impressive. I think he was at Montana before ODU.

And yes, sadly ODU apparently has higher basketball standards than Wake.

Sounds like the inmates were running the asylum.

Do not understand the reason for an in-season move unless the issues went beyond W-Ls, which appears to be the case.

Yeah, I was thinking something really serious but speculation could go anywhere. Maybe we need to get some chick to pass out in Bzz's Prius.

"This decision is not based solely on wins and losses, but a number of factors by which a head coach is evaluated," Selig said. "At this point, in regard to our head men's basketball coach, our student athletes need more mentorship, leadership and guidance. Our fans and alumni need encouragement. Our administration needs confidence in our leadership."

I mean, just read the quote. It must have been really bad. Like REALLY bad.

As multiple people said, there is something else here. Plus they didn't fire another coach less than three years ago. Plus ODU is not on the same level of competition as Wake is supposed to be.

Johnny D@757clubjd The Voice of the Fan in Hampton Roads. Host of Johnny D and The 757 club 5:00pm weekday afternoons.The Bruce Smith Show.

Told by 2 sources that Coach showed up 30 minutes prior to tip last night not "game ready" if u know what I mean

As multiple people said, there is something else here. Plus they didn't fire another coach less than three years ago. Plus ODU is not on the same level of competition as Wake is supposed to be.

All that was missing from this post is you claiming to know well placed hoops media sources.

Sounds like they need a culture change. I know a great coach ODU should be contacting.

I'd be willing to give a couple of coaches another chance to do something good.

Jeff Jones, Blaine Taylor. Off the drink, on the wagon, come join the baptists. We'll do your drinking for you.

My ODU contact says it was the drinking, not the losing. Sadly, Coach Taylor fell off the wagon last summer.

So who wants to take Bzzz out for drinks prior to the FSU game Saturday?

Back