• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

2&2 does realize that schools are closed today due to his fellow parents, right?

We were originally gonna have an early release (my ideal day, as you don't have to make it up) but they ended canceling after parents raised concerns about transportation safety this afternoon.

Trust me, the last thing teachers want to do is to make these days up. Especially since the second make up day in Wake County is a Saturday next month.

Last edited:
Yeah. The weakening wind is super deceptive-- the damn thing actually grew in size last night.

2&2 does realize that schools are closed today due to his fellow parents, right?

We were originally gonna have an early release (my ideal day, as you don't have to make it up) but they ended canceling after parents raised concerns about transportation safety this afternoon.

Trust me, the last thing teachers want to do is to make these days up. Especially since the second make up day in Wake County is a Saturday next month.

Declared State of Emergency though, so no make up days, right?

Declared State of Emergency though, so no make up days, right?

Not according to the email they sent out yesterday. Makeup days are Halloween (previously teacher workday at end of 1st quarter) and Saturday Oct 13th. I came in today so I don't have to make up the missed workday, which we still have to work at some point.

I never understood why all the schools could never figure out how to get that work day to occur on November 1st when kids are out the night before eating a bunch of sugar and staying up late.

What concerns about transportation safety? It isn't going to even rain here for another 2+ days. If the school admins don't have the ability to tell the "concerned parents" that there is no legitimate cause for concern, then they are the ones who clearly need the education. How are they in charge of anything? Fire the sons of bitches.

And no, I'm not complaining just to complain. I do give the meteorologists some credit in that there is likely going to be a pretty strong storm over the weekend, so I assume that school will have to be legitimately cancelled probably Monday and potentially Tuesday and beyond, depending on how things go. So those days are going to be have to made up, along with the associated lack of general work productivity because of all the parents that have to stay home with their kids next week. So with that known, why would they voluntarily and unnecessarily add additional days on the front end for no valid reason? It just increases the the makeup days, lack of productivity, etc. It makes absolutely no sense.

2&2 is probably on the spectrum and generally way the fuck off, but he ain’t wrong on this one.

Yeah, we're in Charlotte, not Raleigh. Today is one of the nicest days in weeks. Private schools are open today and haven't announced whether they're closing tomorrow yet.

Schools are open in literally every surrounding school district.

Most models now have Florence making landfall somewhere between Wilmington and Oak Island with the bulk of the models indicating Carolina Beach/Sea Breeze more specifically.

The radar over the next few days is wild, the storm stalls out and just shits all over Wilmington/SE NC.

Wrightsville Beach is about to be straight up gone, and I’m pretty butthurt about it.

I get the argument about why or why not western NC schools should be closed right now. But I have what might be the most ridiculous storm cancellation.

One of our neighborhood charter schools that our friends go to - in Washington, DC - is not having their back to school night tonight (Thursday) because of Florence. Huh?

I get the argument about why or why not western NC schools should be closed right now. But I have what might be the most ridiculous storm cancellation.

One of our neighborhood charter schools that our friends go to - in Washington, DC - is not having their back to school night tonight (Thursday) because of Florence. Huh?

I have to think that some of these closures are because some critical decision maker in administration was like, "fuk, I totally need an excuse to not have to do X thing on Thursday/Friday, let's use the hurricane as an excuse."

you can definitely see the end of the pier sway multiple feet each time a wave hits

Back