• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

i fly in and out of midway and not o'hare so I don't know how it goes around the country, but the difference between clear and pre-check is like five minutes saved with clear at most

I like the Clear concept. Feel like execution is lacking
It was great for a time (before they folded and then came back). They are supposedly upgrading it so it’s more like Delta digital ID in Atlanta, where you don’t do anything other than stand in front of a camera and then the TSA agent says go ahead. But I’ll believe it when I actually see it.

It was great for a time (before they folded and then came back). They are supposedly upgrading it so it’s more like Delta digital ID in Atlanta, where you don’t do anything other than stand in front of a camera and then the TSA agent says go ahead. But I’ll believe it when I actually see it.
I'm completely spoiled by Delta Digital ID.

Flying to GSO tomorrow to get the miles I need to hit Delta Platinum for next year.

I'm completely spoiled by Delta Digital ID.

Flying to GSO tomorrow to get the miles I need to hit Delta Platinum for next year.
It is far and away the best security screening anywhere at this point!

Enjoy platinum - I hit it 2 flights ago this year, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be gold at best with the new rules next year. I’m a big fan of the regional upgrade certificates for the choice benefit. People complain about the availability of upgrades, but I’ve been able to upgrade flights to Denver and Salt Lake during ski season and to flat beds to LAX.

Clear somehow has. Ore people working the line than TSA does

No way they are making any money.
Just following the typical arc of tech companies:

1) Get a bunch of venture capital funding
2) Use the VC money to run the business at a loss to acquire market share and get customers locked in <---- Clear is here
3) Cut costs which makes the service shittier
4) Stock price goes up, founders cash out
4) Offload the business for pennies on the dollar to private equity

Just following the typical arc of tech companies:

1) Get a bunch of venture capital funding
2) Use the VC money to run the business at a loss to acquire market share and get customers locked in <---- Clear is here
3) Cut costs which makes the service shittier
4) Stock price goes up, founders cash out
4) Offload the business for pennies on the dollar to private equity
yep. every tech company...

Apple, Google, Microsoft, Zoom, InstaCart, DoorDash, Uber. All pennies on the dollar...disasters.

Last edited:
if you had asked me which of those companies was (or ever had been) profitable my guess would have been just the first three: apple, google, microsoft

Clear is bullshit. All of those resources should be forced into making TSA work better instead of allowing a private company to profit off of airport security.

Bookmarking this for the next Biff anti-government take.

The default preference for private industry and privatization over public and government run entities cost us so much money and time.

I agree re: Clear. There are certain things the government should handle. This is one of them.

I’m in favor of an even more expedited lane for a higher fee. Pre pre check if you will

Detroit is probably the best major airport international arrival experience I've had. Plenty of room, easy to get through and for connections you just go up two sets of escalators and hop back in the TSA line. Minneapolis is also a pretty easy international arrival experience as well.
How do you avoid absorbing the depression emanating from the populace though? Not merely bagging on Detroit for fun; it absolutely feels like hopelessness in that airport (and city in general)

Back