• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

One hand perpendicular on top of the other means...

He did much better with use of timeouts tonight.

The infatuation that fans have with coaches calling timeouts really fascinates me.

It seems like some people think a timeout will make a magical difference. I would like to see some statistical analysis.

Called a timeout last night after a 5-0 State run at the 13:46 mark of the second half. After the timeout they came back out and went on another 11-0 run on top of it stretching to the 10:59 mark of the second half (after the under 12 media timeout). Danny sent guys to the table shortly after the timeout (or maybe even right at the timeout) and there wasn't a dead ball until the 12:09 mark (at which point the total State run was at 13-0 with Wake in the lead 44-43).

I would like to see some stats on it as well. I imagine timeouts don't make much of a difference during runs and it's just something people want coaches to do because that's the way it's always been done. It would be interesting to see though.

Last edited:
Called a timeout last night after a 5-0 State run at the 13:46 mark of the second half. After the timeout they came back out and went on another 11-0 run on top of it stretching to the 10:59 mark of the second half (after the under 12 media timeout).

Probably because neither DT nor BC was re-inserted into the game. Pretty sure they sat the entire length of time of State's 16-0 run. That is borderline inexcusable.

Well the real question is what would you do about it if you're Danny Manning at that point? You've already used two of your four timeouts and there are still 13 minutes left in the game. You called a timeout at the beginning of the run - something fans wanted him to do more of - so you're not likely going to use another timeout, leaving yourself with only one remaining timeout. We could have told Watson to grab someone if he gets beat by a step to get Devin and company back in or we could have put Devin or someone back in after the first timeout we took, but we obviously had the guys out to get them some well-needed rest after a frantic pace to the second half. I don't really know what you're supposed to do there if you're Danny. Damned if you do, damned if you don't IMO.

ETA: At the 5-0 run when we took a timeout, the starters had only been out of the game for a minute and 37 seconds. Manning likely wanted them to get more rest than that.

The time to rest is between the 12 and 8 min marks when you have a chance to increase your lead to 20+ with the lineup that is destroying its opponent. State had no answer for Crawford, our ball movement and Dinos' hot hand. I'd rather get the lead to 20-22 if possible, then rest DT for 2-4 mins around the 12 min mark. Unfortunately, BC forced Manning's hand by drawing that silly 3rd foul in the back court, then compounding it with an immediate fourth foul before you could say Bryant Crawford. But that was even more reason to get DT back in the game when he called that timeout after State scored 5 quick points.

The infatuation that fans have with coaches calling timeouts really fascinates me.

Seems like most people still haven't recognized the significance of the loss of that fifth timeout. It's really changed coaches' patterns - and willingness to burn a timeout just to try to quash an opponent run.

Seems like most people still haven't recognized the significance of the loss of that fifth timeout. It's really changed coaches' patterns - and willingness to burn a timeout just to try to quash an opponent run.

Did they go from 5 to 4 this year?

Did they go from 5 to 4 this year?

One of the five team time outs was converted to "use it in the first half of lose it" status, thus leaving coaches with a maximum of four to use in the second half.

I guess it's not THAT significant, since coaches would burn TO's in the first half anyway, but I do think it has affected TO strategy to a certain degree.

One of the five team time outs was converted to "use it in the first half of lose it" status, thus leaving coaches with a maximum of four to use in the second half.

That rule was in there already actually as coaches used to always burn a first half timeout on their final possession in a use it or lose it scenario. Teams get 4 total instead of 5 total, with only 3 in the second half. What they have done this year in an additional rule change to help speed the game up, is if a coach uses a timeout within 30 seconds of the coming media timeout, it automatically becomes a "full" TO and wipes out the next media TO. NC State got confused with that last night as it doesn't happen very often, but at the 8:16 mark of the 2nd half, they called a 30 second TO. It became a "full" media, but they were still charged with the 30 second TO.

Remember also that coaches can't call a TO during a live ball. Coach Manning called a TO last night which was legal, because it was after a made basket. Even though the clock is running, it is a "dead ball" situation until NC State picks the ball up for the throw-in, making the ball live again. A shot becomes dead when it passes thru the net and does not become live again until the throw-in starts. Used not to really matter to the casual observer, but with this new TO rule, it matters.

It's amazing how much longer ACC games (and likely most power conference games) last than other conferences even when the other games are on tv. I watch a good number of CAA games and its clockwork: in and out under two hours regularly.

Back