• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

If the very worst piece of shit MAGA fascists are the ones the most dissatisfied with McCarthy, doesn’t it make sense to pull against them?

Maybe. Regarding congressional republicans I think it’s naive to expect better than McCarthy and neglectful not to try and prevent worse. For a party that has been so desperate for any measure of bipartisanship from Trump-era Republicans, i’m just surprised we aren’t rewarding the first sign of it.
This is something I'd expect a typical liberal to say.

Good interview with Pramila Jayapal on why she's not for helping McCarthy (start at 1:00:48).

I’m going on the board as totally disagreeing that Republican congressional dysfunction is going to help Democrats electorally. A stalled government makes everyone look bad and disengages voters from all sides.

I’m going on the board as totally disagreeing that Republican congressional dysfunction is going to help Democrats electorally. A stalled government makes everyone look bad and disengages voters from all sides.
But McCarthy has run a dysfunctional Republican House. So why keep a dysfunctional leader in power?

But McCarthy has run a dysfunctional Republican House. So why keep a dysfunctional leader in power?
if McCarthy is replaced by some reasonable middle of the road Republican I’ll be sure to eat crow on this thread.

I think Hakeem Jefferies sucks, extremely doubtful I’m ever going to be satisfied with the Republican speaker.

if McCarthy is replaced by some reasonable middle of the road Republican I’ll be sure to eat crow on this thread.
There are none. So the idea that McCarthy is a better alternative than someone else is a false choice.

I”m seeing a lot of the same opinions “fuck McCarthy”, I get it - he’s an asshole, but he literally just capitulated to move the vote on a clean funding bill. Are we not concerned that 2 months down the road we will have to do all this shit over again? I guess I’m just not seeing the upside to Dems not supporting McCarthy here. I don’t see how this creates leverage, knowing that congressional Republicans and Republican voters are less concerned with a government shutdown. Is this an actual strategy or are we just rolling with spite?
He “capitulated” but not even to the thing he already agreed to in May after holding the entire world hostage over the debt ceiling. Under McCarthy we have wallpapered over unmanaged chaos as opposed to openly unmanaged chaos without him.

I’d ask you the opposite…why would the Dems negotiate and make agreements with a guy who clearly cannot be trusted to follow through?

There are none. So the idea that McCarthy is a better alternative than someone else is a false choice.
So in essence you are saying “It couldn’t be worse.” We’ll see.

I have no idea what the outcome will be (but I would hope Dems have a better vision based on conversations they're having). I just see this hurting Pubs more than Dems. I agree it will likely turn off voters on both sides.

He “capitulated” but not even to the thing he already agreed to in May after holding the entire world hostage over the debt ceiling. Under McCarthy we have wallpapered over unmanaged chaos as opposed to openly unmanaged chaos without him.

I’d ask you the opposite…why would the Dems negotiate and make agreements with a guy who clearly cannot be trusted to follow through?
to me, it appears as if you (and others) are taking on this stance to refuse to acknowledge that the house Republican majority has any leverage, because they don’t really want a shutdown. You’re playing chicken. I think that’s dumb. I think Democrats are far more concerned about a shutdown. So this notion that no matter who is speaker, the house Republicans will ultimately vote to prevent a shutdown, is extremely naive.

I have no idea what the outcome will be (but I would hope Dems have a better vision based on conversations they're having). I just see this hurting Pubs more than Dems. I agree it will likely turn off voters on both sides.
I don't know how they're going to be able to even agree on a Speaker at this point given the divide we see and such a narrow margin the GOP has to start with.

I mean I guess if the Gaetz Republicans are willing to go Scalise it could move pretty quickly there? But I mean...hard to imagine another name at this stage IMO

It's wild to me that Gaetz led this charge less than a year after being "cleared" of, checks notes, a sex trafficking investigation. I guess you just HAVE to ride that momentum.

(Don't worry, it was only his friend that was sex trafficking)

So Gaetz used Democrat votes to vote McCarthy out for making a deal with Democrats.

Isn't Scalise getting chemo at the moment?
Yes believe he has blood cancer.

McHenry seems to be a little close to McCarthy personally where I think there would be some hesitation from the GOP folks who voted to oust. But if you get outside of the closer knit folks around McCarthy as far as the next speaker, do you think the McCarthy proponents would then support another bid for Speaker from a more random person when they already had power as of 15 minutes ago?

The whole thing is just wildly bizarre. And yeah any takes out there from folks (media or otherwise) who say Democrats let the country down by not voting to "maintain institutions" or whatever garbage should immediately be discredited as a reasonable person.

If McCarthy wanted to stay in power, he could negotiate with the Dems. He chose not to. Why should the Dems save him anyway?
They shouldn't, he's trash. Saving him would have been such a hypocritical, weak move. Dude feeds Jan 6 footage to Tucker Carlson and folks want the left to support him. Embarrassing.

Back