• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

oh my god guys school in a power conference known for its academics with an old white guy as a mascot and the colors black and gold

i think roy will retire soon and he'll be lured by $ there

Wellman apparently loves to hire from the MAC, are we looking at Toledo or Ohio's coach?

Wake should be a better bball job than Vandy

oh my god guys school in a power conference known for its academics with an old white guy as a mascot and the colors black and gold

Anybody who dreams about Vandy would be happy with Wake.

Wellman apparently loves to hire from the MAC, are we looking at Toledo or Ohio's coach?

Eh, Ohio's coach failed at his previous stop (TCU). To be fair, that isn't an easy job though.

Would've loved it if Wellman had hired Ohio's coach back in 2010 when this whole nonsense started. #GroceIn

Not sure if it was posted back in October, but here's an article from 2013 on energetic, ambitious Michael White.

"We've talked as a team about the NCAA tournament being our only goal," White said. "We accomplished all of our other goals last season except for that, so it has definitely simplified our goals for this season. We're striving every day to find a way into the NCAA tournament. If we don't get there, we'll be disappointed."

Wow, stated goals other than "we want to be historically competitive."

I want the best coach who will bring in good kids that will win on the court and be successful off, all while enjoying being a part of the Wake community(coach and players). I don't really care where he comes from.

What are people's thoughts on Josh Pastner? If it helps with this crowd, he actually fired his brother-in-law (S&C coach). I remember Lute Olsen saying Pastner was born to be a coach when he was a walk-on at Arizona. That is definitely a nice way of saying he was not a great player. Not sure if it also means Lute really thought he had "it" when it comes to coaching, but it did stick with me for some reason.

Pastner probably wouldn't come here and we probably wouldn't pursue him anyway. He signs A TON of JuCo players, just got a contract extension last spring, and is doing just fine recruiting top 10 classes with (no academic restrictions) and winning a game or two in the tournament every year as is.

Pastner: NO. Terrible coach. I think there's some story about him writing letters to all the coaches about wanting to be a coach himself because he was "coaching" his local AAU team and Lute being the only one to answer, but Lute really only wanted him because he could bring Stephen Jackson and then Jackson couldn't get into school. He spent the next four years doing everything he could to be on TV. I have this vision of one particularly painful piece of him helping Gene Edgerson with his (horrible) free throw shooting. He's also just won one tournament game, a two point win as a six seed over the #11 St. Mary's. Then he got killed the next round.

I hate Josh Pastner. More than I should, and not all of it is rational.

I was thinking that you had a very specific hate of Pastner.

I went to high school in Tucson with a bunch of rabid UofA fans and my friends and I all hated him (and still hate him). But part of it was that we just liked hating him.

"Michael White's pressuring man-to-man defense and fast-paced, dribble drive offense has certainly paid huge dividends for the Louisiana Tech men's basketball team as he enters his third season as head coach after coming off one of the most historic seasons in the program's 84-year history."

White's style of play is exactly what we need to attract higher quality recruits to Wake.

17th fastest tempo in the country and 20th best defense in terms of adjusted defensive efficiency. His offenses aren't as efficient, but they're still more efficient than ours and I'm sure he would attract better athletes.

La. Tech getting votes in the latest poll.

Meantime, we haven't ever gotten any votes since Bz came to Wake.

Back