• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

outside perspectives are funny...

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
Probably not worth a new thread but what the heck - it probably wouldn't get seen otherwise.

I went to the ACC tourney games last night and sat next to a couple of older ladies who were pretty typical Duke fans. They found out I was a Wake fan and asked if I had been at our game. I said no and they said "just as well - it was awful".

When I said we, as a fanbase, were just waiting for Bzz to be fired, they kind of agreed but said things like, "Yea, I think he just had to be brought in to clean up after Gaudio." I didn't feel like asking them what exactly needed to be cleaned up. Then they brought out the old wisdom of "we would have fired Coach K after 3 years if it had been up to the fans, so you never know." Really? My only response was, "yea, sometimes you do know".

Revisionist history is revisionist - I don't think the Duke fans were really that upset with K after 3 years. Sure, there were grumblings over the record and such, but, during that 3rd season he also signed the class of Dawkins, Bilas, Alarie and Henderson which, to anyone that was paying attention, showed that the program was going in the right direction.

Their only description of Bzz was that he seems "flat" - which is actually a pretty good description of his personality. Not exactly what you want in a head coach.

Oh, and when I mentioned how bad we were going to be next year the one lady said "We, on the other hand, are going to be breathtaking next year!" That's right, she said breathtaking. And, she is holding out hope that Parker and/or Hood will stick around - I told her not to hold her breath.

Even if they both leave Duke will be stacked next year. Duke is going to be damn good.

It seems every non-Wake fan I talk to about wanting a new coach kind of looks at me funny and says, "well you guys have had some good wins this year against Duke and UNC." I guess 1) they think we should be happy just to get wins against Duke and UNC and 2) since they don't really follow Wake they don't realize the train wreck that has been the [Redacted] era and while yes we had a few good wins this season, we've had a lot more embarrassing games under [Redacted].

"we would have fired Coach K after 3 years if it had been up to the fans, so you never know."

Flawed analogy: [Redacted] wouldn't make it 34 years at Wake Forest even if he were a great coach. He'd have to coach until he was 91.

Good posts on this thread...Goes to show that outside the Triad it is indeed LOWF...Ronnie boy, can I hear an "Oh Heaven's Yes"

Have been amazed by recent comments by random sports people, including those doing ESPN telecasts, about how Bz has not been given a fair chance.

I get that fans over-analyze their favorite team, and how fans inflate expectations, but this is not that situation here. Bz has been awful from day one (yes, starting with the press conference); he never connected with the fan base; he has not recruited particularly well; he has been unable to articulate a vision for the future of WF basketball; and most importantly, his results on the court have been deplorable (I am not talking about losses to Cuse and Duke; I am talking a 1-5 record against Clemson; 1-6 against GT; 2-6 against NC State; 1-3 against Richmond, losses to Winthrop, UNC-W, Presby, Wofford, Iona by 26; all teams that WF is on the same level with or has a massive edge on).

While I think that viciousness of the hatred expressed toward Bz by some of the WF fans has been over-the-top. Bz failed at WF, and all reasonable people should agree that it was time to move on. Hard for me to accept the opinion on any other subject of any person that claims WF failed to give Bz a fair chance.

I am against punching women or men for that matter, but I wouldn't have blamed you if you slapped one of them. Duke and Unc fans are smug and worthless. I pray for the day Wake has a coach and AD. Perhaps it is today

Have been amazed by recent comments by random sports people, including those doing ESPN telecasts, about how Bz has not been given a fair chance.

I get that fans over-analyze their favorite team, and how fans inflate expectations, but this is not that situation here. Bz has been awful from day one (yes, starting with the press conference); he never connected with the fan base; he has not recruited particularly well; he has been unable to articulate a vision for the future of WF basketball; and most importantly, his results on the court have been deplorable (I am not talking about losses to Cuse and Duke; I am talking a 1-5 record against Clemson; 1-6 against GT; 2-6 against NC State; 1-3 against Richmond, losses to Winthrop, UNC-W, Presby, Wofford, Iona by 26; all teams that WF is on the same level with or has a massive edge on).

While I think that viciousness of the hatred expressed toward Bz by some of the WF fans has been over-the-top. Bz failed at WF, and all reasonable people should agree that it was time to move on. Hard for me to accept the opinion on any other subject of any person that claims WF failed to give Bz a fair chance.

Meanwhile, people act like James Johnson being fired is a foregone conclusion. His record is bad, but he had a disaster of a roster last year, and he's only in year 2. And this year he had 9 single digit losses in ACC play, including to Pitt, Virginia, and Carolina.

Guess it shows you how important the AD talking points really are.

Random sports people rely on SIDs to feed them information. They don't really do their own research or even remember much. They bought the story of cleaning up Wake and ran with it. Bilas spread the story and didn't even realize he was trashing Dino with it.

One big difference b/t Krzyzewski and [Redacted], Coach K was coming off 5 years at Army in which he went 73-59 with an NIT appearance. At ARMY. Duke fans were grumbling since Foster had taken them on a nice NCAA for three straight seasons- but the reality is before Foster, Duke was mediocre at best. So their patience wasn't quite at the same level as WF fans.

I am against punching women or men for that matter, but I wouldn't have blamed you if you slapped one of them. Duke and Unc fans are smug and worthless. I pray for the day Wake has a coach and AD. Perhaps it is today

You got it now. Bzzz beat Duke, unc-cheat, and State.

Now that Duke is getting into the 5-star one and done game, I think they're going to be stupid good every year (not that they aren't already)

Now that Duke is getting into the 5-star one and done game, I think they're going to be stupid good every year (not that they aren't already)

dook has a coach that knows what he has to do and the type of player he must recruit in order to remain an elite program. As much as I hate the rat, he's a good coach and he has balls enough to change the "personality" of his program to match changes in the sport and the way it's played, the type of athlete playing the sport, and what the fans want.

We do not have that. We won't have that as long as RW is the AD.

Interestingly, Jabari Parker doesn't seem to hurt Duke's academic reputation.

Interestingly, Jabari Parker doesn't seem to hurt Duke's academic reputation.

In fact Coron is the only player on Wake's roster to make the All-Academic team, which Parker did. Undermines yet another aspect of the mythical "culture" change.

Back