• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paid Basketball League to Compete with NCAA?

You make a fair point, but let's not pretend that guys like K, Roy, Cal, etc have kids' best interests in mind all the time either.

I am absolutely sure they do not. But I think most if not all programs put in a system of checks and balances in to protect the university, their reputation, etc... For example, a coach is going to play his best players to get the best record in order to better guarantee his multi-million salary and the salaries of his/her assistants. So, a whole apparatus is in place that requires the players to do a minimum level of work in class to be eligible. There is also a doctor who ensures that a player is actually healthy enough to play and not put his future health/life at risk (think Hank Gathers) because otherwise, a coach may insist s/he play. And on and on.

That will not happen in a league like this. Faaaaaar from it.

The vast majority of college coaches have the kid's best interests in mind. Even a guy like K or Roy, honestly cares for his players and wants to see them succeed. I am not saying every coach is a saint, but I would take Roy or K coaching my son every day of the week over sending him to a semi-pro league at the age of 18 that is governed by Lavar Ball. I can't believe people think this is a good idea. Not only is it bad for the kids, it is a REALLY flawed business model that will most definitely fail. As was alluded to earlier...all the NCAA and NBA have to do is adjust their rules in any number of ways, and it makes this inbetween league completely irrelevant. Good luck finding someone to throw the kind of money that it would take to get this league off the ground.

I think the folks who like the idea of the league, like it in general, not as something specifically run by Lavar Ball. This league will always have the advantage of paying players over NCAA regardless of possibly changing the one-and-done rule. Advertisers/sponsors would take a lot of their college money and pour it into this league. Sponsors would make sure these players would make 6 figures. How much does Nike spend on schools trying to hook the next LeBron or Curry? If they knew that next superstar would play on Nike's team in the development league, they'd move their resources there to make sure to sign that player, that he succeeds, and is popular. Right now, Nike sponsors dozens of college teams to find the next LeBron. They wouldn't move half that money in a single team of top 50 talent? Same for Adidas, sports drinks, sports agencies. Fandom is national, not local, and built in. How many here already have a strong preference in shoe brands? Sports drinks? Rivalries already naturally occur. Team Nike vs Team Adidas!

All revenue streams are open to these players. They can sign with an agent, get endorsement deals, sell jerseys, sell autographs, make personal appearances, make commercials, etc. NCAA will never allow all these things, and CBA does not address them. I think those in support of a new league are thinking way beyond what Ball is proposing. He is basically right - anything outlawed creates an alternative market. But he is too self-absorbed to see the big picture, and he is, at best, just a piece of it.

College fans will be happier with this league as well. There will be more four year players and continuity. There would still be some future NBA players (unheralded Curry types, education types), but it would no longer be the free NBA minor leagues. Academic integrity would improve. I think it is a win-win overall.

I may be in the minority here but I don't watch college basketball because of the academic integrity. I watch because I like seeing the best young players playing in great atmospheres with a lot at stake. Couldn't care less if Marvin Bagley or Trae Young attends a class this year.

I may be in the minority here but I don't watch college basketball because of the academic integrity. I watch because I like seeing the best young players playing in great atmospheres with a lot at stake. Couldn't care less if Marvin Bagley or Trae Young attends a class this year.

I have no idea who's the majority or minority, but I'm the opposite of you. I watch college basketball (or I used to) because of the top schools going against each other, regardless of talent. The "best" teams are relative to the best "available" talent, that's all. There would be no draw for me to watch these paid minor leagues for the "best rising players". I don't even watch the best players, period (NBA).

But I'd love these leagues to draw all the one and dones and take all the craving for money away from college. It all pollutes the game and environment.

Along these lines, does anyone think the NBA or sneaker companies would ever prefer top HS players playing in dank gyms, with 500-2500 people attending over playing on national TV and building a brand?

I think many people watch college BB ( and FB) in part because of some connection to the school. These fans would not move to watching some play for pay minor league.

I think many people watch college BB ( and FB) in part because of some connection to the school. These fans would not move to watching some play for pay minor league.

I agree more with this and would have little interest to watch such a league.

Given the multitude of media available for consumption these days, I can't see this getting much past the 'idea' level. Feels like a money pit for potential investors.

Did I read in the last year that college basketball viewership is down?

Who's going to watch it...in person or via broadcast?

It's a somewhat intriguing idea, but I'm in the camp that this things ain't got legs.

It’s a horrible idea but it speaks volumes about how the Ball family has leaped into public discourse that we are even talking about it.

I couldn’t agree more.

If they would not reward flopping as good defense, I would be all in.

A few months ago, you could rationalize Lavar Ball as a dad trying to do right by his kids. His oldest turned out to be an elite college player and good kid as far as I can see. Lonzo should be at least a solid pro if not a star. He had a plan to keep them close to home at UCLA. Start a family business to keep unscrupulous businessmen away. That's just a protective dad right there. He even exposed some NCAA hypocrisy.

But the fame clearly got to his head and the China incident made it worse. If he had just encouraged his kid to apologize and just dealt with the blowback, he could have weathered it. Maybe even figured out a way to use it to help build the brand. He's way too far gone now. He may have done irreversible damage to his youngest sons careers. I think that's helped Lonzo though. It's kept Lavar distracted and not meddling in Laker affairs as much.

When it comes to Lonzo, I wonder how much of his NBA contract is having to fund Lavar's lunacy. I can absolutely see Lavar pressuring Lonzo to help finance BBB, the younger two in Lithuania and now this league. Hopefully that isn't happening, but if it is, Lavar is being as detrimental to Lonzo, and his future, as he has been to the younger two. Again, it goes back to Lavar wanting to be the star of the show.

As far as the Lakers, I think the basically have told Lavar to take a hike. They can't stop him from coming to games and running his mouth, but I think they have basically just put him on ignore, and he has realized that, which is why he is not meddling in their affairs. In the long run, the Lakers have the leverage over him as all he can really do is encourage Lonzo not to play, which means the money stops flowing. I think Lavar needs Lonzo's money and notoriety to fund his reach for fame.

I think the folks who like the idea of the league, like it in general, not as something specifically run by Lavar Ball. This league will always have the advantage of paying players over NCAA regardless of possibly changing the one-and-done rule. Advertisers/sponsors would take a lot of their college money and pour it into this league. Sponsors would make sure these players would make 6 figures. How much does Nike spend on schools trying to hook the next LeBron or Curry? If they knew that next superstar would play on Nike's team in the development league, they'd move their resources there to make sure to sign that player, that he succeeds, and is popular. Right now, Nike sponsors dozens of college teams to find the next LeBron. They wouldn't move half that money in a single team of top 50 talent? Same for Adidas, sports drinks, sports agencies. Fandom is national, not local, and built in. How many here already have a strong preference in shoe brands? Sports drinks? Rivalries already naturally occur. Team Nike vs Team Adidas!

All revenue streams are open to these players. They can sign with an agent, get endorsement deals, sell jerseys, sell autographs, make personal appearances, make commercials, etc. NCAA will never allow all these things, and CBA does not address them. I think those in support of a new league are thinking way beyond what Ball is proposing. He is basically right - anything outlawed creates an alternative market. But he is too self-absorbed to see the big picture, and he is, at best, just a piece of it.

College fans will be happier with this league as well. There will be more four year players and continuity. There would still be some future NBA players (unheralded Curry types, education types), but it would no longer be the free NBA minor leagues. Academic integrity would improve. I think it is a win-win overall.

Well said.

My opinion has nothing to do with LaVar Ball.

This is a terrible idea for the players. Some will make a very few bucks while most will jeopardize their futures for it. This concept is rife with opportunities to harm teenagers and their families. A vast majority of these players will be done after a year or two and will have no other alternatives to fall back on when their fifteen minutes are up.

If you think street runners and agents are problematic now, you ain't seen nothing like what will happen here. They will start pimping eighth, ninth and tenth graders. Kids will drop out of HS. For every Lebron that goes to this league, there will be hundreds of Schea Cottons.

It would be very difficult for me to think of a worse idea for players and their families.

If you to have a rule that allows, HS grads to go to the G-League for a mandated year or two, at a much lower salary rather than college (and no chance of playing in the NBA) versus staying in college for two years, I'd be all over it.

Another option could be the Euro model that has NBA teams having development teams for 15-20 year old players which includes training and school. I'd have no problem with this either. Of course, this would be almost impossible to implement in the U.S. due to the draft.

I really hope the rise of the G-League does away with the one and done. It is a better product than college ball, but nobody has any reason to care yet. If it weren't for people having previously held allegiances, then CBB would be hurting because the product sucks. If the top 10-20 high school players can go straight to the G-League then it will attract fans. The NBA will realize this and do away with the one year rule.

I still can't figure out where LaVar Ball's money is coming from. Just bought a 16,000 sq ft mansion. And bought the 2 younger sons a Lambo and a Ferrari. Is it all coming from Lonzo? I mean, surely they aren't selling enough of those damn BBB shoes to fund all this.

I still can't figure out where LaVar Ball's money is coming from. Just bought a 16,000 sq ft mansion. And bought the 2 younger sons a Lambo and a Ferrari. Is it all coming from Lonzo? I mean, surely they aren't selling enough of those damn BBB shoes to fund all this.

None of it really adds up. If you google his net worth it says 4 million, which probably is smaller than some who post here. I guess he's just taking a percentage of every one of Lonzo's checks.

And for Christmas Lonzo bought his dad a $400,000 Rolls Royce Dawn. So between the four of them they have a Lambo, a Ferrari and two Rolls.

I wouldn't be shocked if it came out some illegal nonsense is going on.

Back