• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paid Basketball League to Compete with NCAA?

Or they've been taking out loans based on the earnings potential of the family.

What was Lavar's AAU revenue stream?

It's funny to see Wake fans voicing their support for such a league or the NBA adopting a MLB type rule. If you're not happy with our talent level and the number of fouls called in college hoops now, imagine what things would like with a less talented base of talent entering college.

But at the same time, more four year players would mean better overall basketball. Less star-power, yes, but better development and better basketball. (in my opinion)

The NBA will do everything they can to crush any other US league.

But at the same time, more four year players would mean better overall basketball. Less star-power, yes, but better development and better basketball. (in my opinion)

So if you took the best players off most major conference teams, there would be better basketball.

Maybe BKF would start watching college ball again if all of the stars are in a separate paid league.

So if you took the best players off most major conference teams, there would be better basketball.

I think that's probably right. You would likely have better team basketball, and better-played games. It might not be as flashy, but the games will be played by teams who are more familiar with each other and thus likely better team basketball - better passing, etc. The one and dones are not helping team fundamental basketball. They are often times out there trying to showcase, but they are also freshmen who haven't played together with the other guys more than a couple of months.

So yeah, I think that's right IMO. It would be better basketball. Again, if that's your definition of basketball. If your definition is seeing the most dunks then maybe not.

I think that's probably right. You would likely have better team basketball, and better-played games. It might not be as flashy, but the games will be played by teams who are more familiar with each other and thus likely better team basketball - better passing, etc. The one and dones are not helping team fundamental basketball. They are often times out there trying to showcase, but they are also freshmen who haven't played together with the other guys more than a couple of months.

So yeah, I think that's right IMO. It would be better basketball. Again, if that's your definition of basketball. If your definition is seeing the most dunks then maybe not.

I don't think you would see a drop off in the highlight type plays either. If your really high level 5* guys are going straight to the G-League and with 2-way contracts starting to happen, then the depth of the NBA and G-league will cause the 4* and the John Collins and Jeff Teague type guys to stay in college a 3rd or 4th year.

That's assuming that the 5*s would go to the bush leagues for a few bucks versus going to college and making millions after a year or two. Unless the the G-league takes the players out of HS, a majority of the the best players will go to college. That would be what the NBA what the NBa would want them to do and what the sneaker would want them to do.

Well, unless there is a new generation of Sonny Vacaros who will sign players to long-term, bad money contracts out of HS. The players would get screwed every which way.

Another reason it wouldn't work is that if it did OK for a couple of years, the NBA would let them come into the G-League.

If 4 year players make for better basketball, why isn’t the Patriot League the best basketball in the country?

I don't think you would see a drop off in the highlight type plays either. If your really high level 5* guys are going straight to the G-League and with 2-way contracts starting to happen, then the depth of the NBA and G-league will cause the 4* and the John Collins and Jeff Teague type guys to stay in college a 3rd or 4th year.

The Collins and Teagues would consider going to the G-League to get paid. A lot of top 100-150 players would just go to the minors.

Those one and dones who ruin team basketball go to the NBA and many play elite team basketball. Watch an NBA game sometime.

If 4 year players make for better basketball, why isn’t the Patriot League the best basketball in the country?

Because they get inferior talent. You can't make you or me into Anthony Davis just by staying in college longer.

So we have fans eager to root for hypothetical Wake teams with talent on par with actual Patriot League teams.

Where’s the lie, Loh? Where do you think we would recruit with most of the Top 75 out of play?

The Collins and Teagues would consider going to the G-League to get paid. A lot of top 100-150 players would just go to the minors.

Those one and dones who ruin team basketball go to the NBA and many play elite team basketball. Watch an NBA game sometime.

I probably watch more NBA than college. You are right, some might opt for going to the minors.

All I'm saying is that with a legit minor league system that is developing depth for the NBA, the guys that aren't surefire lotto picks and day 1 starters might stay an extra year.

I don't think the G-League would take guys ranked past the top 10-20. It would take up roster spots, be risky and cost them money. It's not like baseball where they have A, AA, AAA, rookie league, cape cod, alaska, the field beside grandmas house and 10 more.

The G-League would take the most marketable. Not sure if that means filling each position with potentials, or just taking the top 10-20 and filling in with Euro level role players. When Chill left the NBA, would he go Euro again or accept a role player/mentor role in G-League for comparable pay? Would the G-League try to catch the next Curry?

There's something else in that the NBA doesn't need a minor league system. The better teams don't usually add more than 1-2 new young guys in an average year. To create anything more than the G-League would be an unnecessary cost.

Adam Silver has said multiple times that he wants two years in college. I think he'll find something to give then NBAPA to get it.

If that happens, some may say it leaves an opening for a new kiddie league. I think it will be the opposite. The only people who could possibly benefit from this (other than kids are so poor they have to try) are the sneaker companies. Their main benefit would come from predatory contracts that would harm the better players long-term. However, other than controlling a few players, would they really prefer young players to be on their own, playing in front of tiny crowds and to terrible TV ratings or being coached and playing in front of sizable, national audiences to build a legit brand?

Back