• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Steele pre-season All-Acc (4 teams)

here is some inside scoop for you.....

the problem is our trainer. the trainer tells grobe that a kid is good to go but he just doesnt "want to go". of course grobe takes that as a kid being soft. the truth is the kid knows that his hamstring is not ready to go and he will re-tweak it if he goes and set him self back. injuries are part of this game and just because we are not as deep as most D 1 programs doesnt mean every kid that gets hurt should be blasted in the media as being soft everytime he cant go because we need him so bad....

this is a reaccuring situation on this team.....

Lectro?

na not lectro but I think lectro is the man!!

im sick of this "player not being tough" crap tho. these guys are D 1 football players with asperations of goin pro. Do we really believe that they dont want to practice? that they are "not tough"? bottom line it takes the spotlight off the coaching and puts it on the players. Its total BS

Yeah, any player would prefer to work their assess off and get beat up in practice all week than take it easy and still get PT on Saturday.

Yeah, any player would prefer to work their assess off and get beat up in practice all week than take it easy and still get PT on Saturday.

have you ever played???

sitting out of practice while all your teamates are out their bustin ass is probably the worst feeling that any athlete could have...

When was the last time Duke beat us?

We only needed to beat Duke to become bowl eligible. We got off to a terrible start in Durham and trailed like 35-0 after the first quarter. Made a valient comeback but lost 48-35.

The next week we ruined Joe Hamilton's Heisman chances by beating a ranked GT team at home to make the bowl game and then beat Ariz State in Hawaii to finish 7-5.

Last edited:
I think Lobo will somehow over work Harris and he will get injured.

Lobo has no clue how to manage a game or a player (see people asking why Tanner Price was running the ball so much and then he keeps running it or even has the option to run it and then nearly gets decapitated last year).

I'm sold on JRock but not Tanner. He's got a great arm, but so do a lot of QBs at this level.

Phil Steele on 2011 Deacons

For those looking for a lining it should be noted that in all 9 categories Steele has WF listed as 'expected to be much improved'.

Myself, I throw the blowouts away and focus on games like BC, the first half of FSU (D was exceptional led by Joey Ehrmann), the run game vs VT and the fact that our offensive battery is 3 Sophomores (Price/Camp/Harris) and a couple of rising jr's (Bohannon and Givens).

Combine that with Whitlock up 35 pounds at NT and a huge Sophomore class ready to contribute across the 3 tiers of Defense. New Speed influx with Jackson, Allen, Noel, Tate joining Olson, Mack, Lowe and A.J. Marshall.

The question to be answered is along the DL -- the time has come for Sophomores Souza, Redding and Gallagher as well as the huge JR Ramon Booi (if Whitlock has motivated anybody it has certainly been Ramon -- the light appears to be coming on for the big NT). Need his Nease teammates to step up.

Last edited:
In my mind, the biggest key for us to have a successful season is the defensive line. We simply have to get more production from that group to be competitive.

In my mind, the biggest key for us to have a successful season is the defensive line. We simply have to get more production from that group to be competitive.

That, as well as the OL, is where Steele sees "much improvement expected".

Part of it will depend on guys ability to adapt to Nikita Whitlock. Certain LB's need to stop crying and learn how to play with this unique talent. Learn that Nikita is going to open up possibilities. He is not a conventional NT and that fits the unconventional football program at WF very well.

Whitlock has an energy and attitude that rivals any of the Grobe era...including Abbate and Curry.

We will be improved across the board by virtue of the fact that we could not have been much worse across the board than last year.

Glad to know Steele's guide is out. Have been looking for it in the stores for a couple of weeks now.

In my humble opinion, line play is always key on both sides of the ball. Our line play in recent years has been poor. It must improve and improve substantially.

That, as well as the OL, is where Steele sees "much improvement expected".

Part of it will depend on guys ability to adapt to Nikita Whitlock. Certain LB's need to stop crying and learn how to play with this unique talent. Learn that Nikita is going to open up possibilities. He is not a conventional NT and that fits the unconventional football program at WF very well.

Whitlock has an energy and attitude that rivals any of the Grobe era...including Abbate and Curry.

This is why I can't take you seriously. Abbate and Curry are legendary for WF football. I'm sure Nikita is a great kid, but that is a ridiculous statement...

This is why I can't take you seriously. Abbate and Curry are legendary for WF football. I'm sure Nikita is a great kid, but that is a ridiculous statement...

To be fair, Lectro is referring to his attitude and work ethic. All WF fans know of his physical limitations. The kid was always noted to be a workaholic, even in high school. If Nikita ends up being half the player of a Curry or Abbate, we should be in good shape.

Back