• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Very bummed out about this game and the second half of the season. Started 7-1 and ended 1-4.
Our performance today in almost every phase of the game was poor.
To at all what I was expecting.

Trying to pull some positive things from this.....
Clawson isn’t getting hired away
Newman isn’t declaring for the NFL
We have some very good players coming back.
Our standards and expectations have risen tremendously. As a Deacon who’s been around for decades and was used to seasons with 2-3 wins (not that I ever liked it) we are now terribly disappointed with an 8 win season. I’ll consider that progress.....a lot of it.

Until September and the next season. Go Deacs.

Not too upset about this because the game played out about like I expected, including the result. Based on how the regular season ended, I did not believe we would win.

I hope Clawson continues to address the malaise that sets in around the midpoint of every season. Some of it is fatigue and injuries, but we also lose the sense of urgency once we hit bowl eligibility. Maybe we overemphasize just getting to a bowl, consistent with the way the AD has been managed for the last 30 years. This game was there for the taking if we'd played with the focus and energy we had in September.

No one should be surprised that Wake lost this game. Newman was 2 and 5 his last 7 games.

Agree with the football part of this post. We need to keep Dave, great for Wake, but some his luster as a guy that can take his and outplay/outsmart you with his in general lower rated players took a hit. Run, run, pass, punt series mainly, really reflects a lot. Seems like having a few wrinkles could have a positive impact. We really do seem to only have 3 plays as several have noticed.
On our 2nd possession we have MSU a bit on their heels. So, with 4th and 2 at 50, we punt. If it worked, great!.Even failing there we had time to recover with high energy still with us. But, it just let the air out of the balloon.

PEOPLE... you all know that we run an RPO, so why do you keep blaming the offensive coordinator or Dave Clawson (of all people, he doesn’t even call the offense!!!) for the decision of run or pass? It is completely on the quarterback to make that decision in our offense. They have to decide whether to run or pass. The reason our offense was so execrable after the State game was Jamie Newman. In the first 8 games of the season, Jamie was confident in his receivers, lineman, running backs, and himself. He made smart decisions. After the State game, that all went away. Not only was he not confident, he made poor decisions with the football. Our offense had a net score of 14 points today. 14!!! That was due to the poor decision making of Jamie. He was not confident in his ability to throw. When Hartman came in against Syracuse, we threw way too much, and that was completely on him. Jamie had the best balance we’ve had since Wolford in the beginning of the season, and we saw evidence of what that balance does. But he lost that balance when he lost Scotty and Sage, two guys that were almost automatic. You just had to put it in their area code and they were going to make the play.

Maybe we need more plays where all 11 players know if it’s a run or pass and where a run will go.

Last edited:
at Old Dominion Monarchs - Win
Appalachian State Mountaineers - Toss up
Villanova Wildcats - Win
vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Definite loss
at Duke Blue Devils - Toss up
at Florida State Seminoles - Definite loss
at Louisville Cardinals - Definite loss
at NC State Wolfpack - Toss up
Boston College Eagles - Toss up
Clemson Tigers - Definite loss
Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Toss up
Syracuse Orange - Toss up

Other teams run rpo and incorporate elements of Misdirection and screen and swing passes or other variations. We run rpo and its almost all we do.

Nice turnout from Deacon nation today. Probably between 15 - 20 thousand which is really good. Hope Newman comes back and continues to improve his accuracy throwing. He is a beast running the ball.

I think it will be interesting if and how Clawson and staff address the offense. I don’t think anybody could look at it and say nothing needs to be changed. Yeah we put up some good numbers and injuries hurt, but our offense is way too predictable. Heck, it’s not even a matter of changing anything we’re doing, keep what we’re doing, but add some stuff to it so the defense has more to think about. You got a good QB playing receiver and he attempts no passes? Same guy is also he best player we have in space and only 1 or 2 times is he handed the ball off to? How about some pistol or some good old I formation on occasion, for some quicker hitting running plays, we certainly run enough slow developing running plays. Heck, I think it speaks to how much talent we had on offense this year when fully healthy that we put up the numbers we did with such a limited playbook.

Nice turnout from Deacon nation today. Probably between 15 - 20 thousand which is really good. Hope Newman comes back and continues to improve his accuracy throwing. He is a beast running the ball.

If that is accurate that was a great turnout, too bad it wasn’t rewarded by a better game from our team.

at Old Dominion Monarchs - Win
Appalachian State Mountaineers - Toss up
Villanova Wildcats - Win
vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Definite loss
at Duke Blue Devils - Toss up
at Florida State Seminoles - Definite loss
at Louisville Cardinals - Definite loss
at NC State Wolfpack - Toss up
Boston College Eagles - Toss up
Clemson Tigers - Definite loss
Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Toss up
Syracuse Orange - Toss up

Why the definite loss at FSU? Addition by subtraction with Taggert gone?

FSU, NCSU and Miami have terrible QB situations. I think those should be better than toss ups.

Unless Wake plays with 50% backups due to injury.

New coach is real deal. FSU talent discrepancy will shine. Look for a better turn around than Louisville this year, simply due to talent. Won squeaker at home. Yea, I'd say a loss away next year, especially knowing Clawson will change nothing and we lose 9 starters and core OL.

Last edited:
I think it will be interesting if and how Clawson and staff address the offense. I don’t think anybody could look at it and say nothing needs to be changed. Yeah we put up some good numbers and injuries hurt, but our offense is way too predictable. Heck, it’s not even a matter of changing anything we’re doing, keep what we’re doing, but add some stuff to it so the defense has more to think about. You got a good QB playing receiver and he attempts no passes? Same guy is also he best player we have in space and only 1 or 2 times is he handed the ball off to? How about some pistol or some good old I formation on occasion, for some quicker hitting running plays, we certainly run enough slow developing running plays. Heck, I think it speaks to how much talent we had on offense this year when fully healthy that we put up the numbers we did with such a limited playbook.
You hit the nail on the head.

Other teams run rpo and incorporate elements of Misdirection and screen and swing passes or other variations. We run rpo and its almost all we do.

Would have been nice to see a reverse to Hinton for a throw. Bowl trick play. Also would like to see a lot of fake reverses where the WR could passes the mesh point. Doesn’t take the ball, takes the ball or continues down the field for a pass opportunity. I would like to see mis directions and screens.

Not last year in Birmingham.

Did you notice Clawson tried same loser mentality of wanting MSU to score near the end like we had to do at Memphis? Didn't anticipate MSU looking at our bowl tapes. Memphis ran and passed on the D all game. Stupid coaching kicked ball short right to returner who was one of national leaders for TDs on KORs. Memphis will give Penn State all they want, IMO.

Back