• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Disappointing end to a disappointingly underachieving season.
Our season was set when Surratt went down. With him, this probably would've been our 11th or 12th win.
(mind you we'd likely have been in the Orange Bowl instead )

There's really nothing more to add.

Seemed like the officials had their heads up their ass. Several no call penalties on their d-line offsides. Two personal fouls one on Jamie’s TD , Walker late hit and Greene held on second to last play of game.

Credit Michigan State on good offensive game plan to create lots of plays to rest their D-fense.

I'm afraid this season was Clawson's peak and that this is the best that Wake fans can realistically expect from Claswon at Wake. This should have been a double digit win season.

Was getting used to having a small bit of joy before the slog that is our basketball season. I think the QB competition next year should be a positive, and our WRs could be legitimately terrifying, but we need to work out our playcalling and defense issues.

Was getting used to having a small bit of joy before the slog that is our basketball season. I think the QB competition next year should be a positive, and our WRs could be legitimately terrifying, but we need to work out our playcalling and defense issues.

Basketball season? We have no basketball team.

Baseball is next.

Need a right guard. He got abused.

Need 2 corners.

Linebackers got exposed by all the MSU mis-direction.

Newman led us to 0 second half points and was not so great the final 5 games. So....8-5 or 7-6 seems realistic, since the o line and cornerbacks may suck.

Our season was set when Surratt went down. With him, this probably would've been our 11th or 12th win.

Nothing to add; this is an accurate post. Injuries have a bug impact on us

Also was disappointed in the effort on both sides of the ball. Just played like we didn't care. Lots of really bad angles and guys just jogging. Not full out. Just bad game plan and bad effort

Thinking back over the season, it was kind of a strange one. Now having lost 4 of the last 5 games, in some ways it feels like a really special season slipped through our fingers. But it mostly feels like we got lucky on the front half of the season by escaping with wins against Utah State, UNC, BC, and FSU. If we lose two of those coin flip games, we’re 6-7 and questioning our process a lot more. I really feel like Clawson got bailed out by the easy front half of the schedule. Still very hopeful with the returning players that next year can be special but we have some serious changes to make in the offseason.

We are obviously a way better team with Surratt. Way better.

But when he went down, we were getting destroyed at Lane Stadium. We weren’t going to beat Clemson with or without him. The Orange Bowl would not have happened.

101 yards of offense in the second half makes this Deacon loss offensive.

Clawson has no offense outside of the RPO. No wrinkles. No trick plays. Nothing. It's a been a good offense but it's not unstoppable or impervious to a poor performance by the QB. I like Newman but he was inaccurate this afternoon. Hartman should have been given a series in the third quarter. He has more time on the field with the receivers who were available and Newman needed kick in the butt to get him going. If you actually thought Clawson would do that you have not been paying attention. Dave was out coached today. The fact that the "next men up" didn't step up is no excuse or reason. The buck stops with Clawson and this team lost four of their final five games. Three of the four losses were winnable. He wanted meaningful games in November. He got what he wished for and came up short.

Maybe so. I’m assuming Taylor continues to improve.

Wake still returns a ton. 8 starters on D, 9 if you count Williams.
Returning starters that aren't getting it done isn't necessarily a good thing...similar to our basketball team.

It does suck to end the season this way but I am fully content to be sitting here at the end of the season with having the joy of owning the state of NC, anticipating which of our players are all conference, anticipating which bowl game we are in and looking forward to the talent we will have next year. Maybe I am LOWF but I have sit through too many losing seasons to not be happy with this year and the way Clawson has turned it around

Need a right guard. He got abused.

Need 2 corners.

Linebackers got exposed by all the MSU mis-direction.

Newman led us to 0 second half points and was not so great the final 5 games. So....8-5 or 7-6 seems realistic, since the o line and cornerbacks may suck.

How would they know about mis-direction? They never see it running against our offense.

101 yards of offense in the second half makes this Deacon loss offensive.

Clawson has no offense outside of the RPO. No wrinkles. No trick plays. Nothing. It's a been a good offense but it's not unstoppable or impervious to a poor performance by the QB. I like Newman but he was inaccurate this afternoon. Hartman should have been given a series in the third quarter. He has more time on the field with the receivers who were available and Newman needed kick in the butt to get him going. If you actually thought Clawson would do that you have not been paying attention. Dave was out coached today. The fact that the "next men up" didn't step up is no excuse or reason. The buck stops with Clawson and this team lost four of their final five games. Three of the four losses were winnable. He wanted meaningful games in November. He got what he wished for and came up short.
Definitely get a lot of these frustrations. We got meaningful games in November. Next step is to win most them.

definite open competition for the qb job, but without solving the protection issues it won’t matter too much against top teams.

This is true. On a related note, we also need to run the ball with some consistency. Ideally with ball carriers other than the QB.

Back