• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Pitt can get to 8-4 with a win over BC; however Pitt might be the least attractive public university in the ACC for bowl selection

Looks like a lot of this was covered by other posters as I was typing it up but here’s my take on the implications of the VT loss…

It’s clear that the Belk Bowl will want VT. But VT could also provide the Gator Bowl with the incentive it was looking for to agree to swap its Big 10 opponent for Music City’s ACC spot. For example, the Gator could look to pair VT with Tennessee. The Camping World might be interested in VT as well, but they might not be able to them (more on that below).

For Wake, the bigger development is the Camping World Bowl, if Notre Dame doesn’t end up there. As Newtondeac3 points out, VT is considered a 7-win team because of its two FCS wins. So VT can’t be chosen for the Camping World Bowl if Wake gets to 9 wins.

So this scenario gets interesting (lots of “ifs”): if goes UVA to the Orange Bowl, the Camping World doesn’t get ND, Wake beats Cuse, Pitt beats BC, and Louisville loses to UK. In that case the Camping World would need to take either a 9-win Wake or an 8-win Pitt.

I think FL bowls would find Wake more attractive than Pitt.

Win tomorrow and the Camping World/Citrus bowls start looking much more feasible. Plus we are a 9 win team, which is more attractive, and we have been ranked this year.

It makes a lot of sense for the ACC and Belk Bowl as a whole for VPI to go there. I'd be shocked if they don't end up in Charlotte. Today was a good result overall. Let's pound Syracuse tomorrow and pull against teams ranked 15-25 the last couple weeks.

Looks like a lot of this was covered by other posters as I was typing it up but here’s my take on the implications of the VT loss…

It’s clear that the Belk Bowl will want VT. But VT could also provide the Gator Bowl with the incentive it was looking for to agree to swap its Big 10 opponent for Music City’s ACC spot. For example, the Gator could look to pair VT with Tennessee. The Camping World might be interested in VT as well, but they might not be able to them (more on that below).

For Wake, the bigger development is the Camping World Bowl, if Notre Dame doesn’t end up there. As Newtondeac3 points out, VT is considered a 7-win team because of its two FCS wins. So VT can’t be chosen for the Camping World Bowl if Wake gets to 9 wins.

So this scenario gets interesting (lots of “ifs”): if goes UVA to the Orange Bowl, the Camping World doesn’t get ND, Wake beats Cuse, Pitt beats BC, and Louisville loses to UK. In that case the Camping World would need to take either a 9-win Wake or an 8-win Pitt.

What scenario would keep Notre Dame from going to the camping world bowl? Getting an at large bid to a NY6 bowl is the only thing, right?

What scenario would keep Notre Dame from going to the camping world bowl? Getting an at large bid to a NY6 bowl is the only thing, right?

3 Big 10 teams in the New Year's Six puts an ACC team in the Citrus Bowl. That would presumably be Notre Dame. That's the most likely scenario.

Unfortunately, while I think VT’s loss today is enough to drop them out of the top 25, I doubt they fall far enough for us to pass them this week. Since we are both off next week, even if a bunch of ranked teams drop out, that will help VT get ranked ahead of us. We need to pound Syracuse by 50 for this to happen.

If some of these other low ranked teams lose, VT may not fall out at all.

There were 22 P5 teams who entered the week with 8 wins and five ranked G6 teams in the AP and Coaches Polls.

I have a tough time believing we won’t be ranked at 9-3.

I still think VT will win. If so, they're guaranteed the OB.

I think we compare variably to UVa.

We have no bad losses, but no good wins. We only have one win vs. a bowl team. If BC beats Pitt and UNC beats State, we would have three wins over 6-6 teams.

UVa lost at ND, at Miami (6-5, plays at Duke), at Louisville. So they have a common loss and losses to two teams a tier worse than our losses to Clemson and VT. Their best wins are Pitt and a common win vs. FSU. Obviously a win today would give them a quality win.

Any slim chance at the OB would likely require a narrow win UVa today, a huge Wake win at Cuse, wins by BC and UNC, and for Clemson to throttle UVa.

This assumes that Top 25 voters and Orange Bowl selectors take the task seriously enough to analyze it to this degree. You’d hope they do, but I suspect some of them will never look past a pretty basic surface level understanding of our football season.

3 Big 10 teams in the New Year's Six puts an ACC team in the Citrus Bowl. That would presumably be Notre Dame. That's the most likely scenario.

But the only way that happens is for two SEC teams to make the CFP. Otherwise, the SEC Champ will be in the CFP, the runner up to the Sugar and Alabama to the Orange, leaving the Big Ten in the Citrus, Notre Dame to Camping World and Wake to the Pinstripe or Sun.

Unfortunately, while I think VT’s loss today is enough to drop them out of the top 25, I doubt they fall far enough for us to pass them this week. Since we are both off next week, even if a bunch of ranked teams drop out, that will help VT get ranked ahead of us. We need to pound Syracuse by 50 for this to happen.

I'm not so sure since 2 of their wins are vs FCS teams, as pointed out above. We only have 1 (Elon).

If we beat Syracuse and UVa gets trounced by Clemson like we were, don't yall think there is a good chance we jump them for the OB spot @ 9-3 vs 9-4? 3 of their wins were vs Liberty, Old Dominion, and Wm & Mary.

No. UVA has the division championship and the two best wins between us and them (VT and Pitt). They have the worst loss but it’s to a bowl team in Miami.

If UVA isn’t ranked the OB can take who they want if I read correctly what was posted on Twitter a week ago. But if we are ranked they have to take us over a unranked team.

Official SIX WINS AND WE'RE BOWLING BUT WHERE?? Speculation thread

Right. And the OB really wants to take a ranked team to matchup against the top at-large team.

Last edited:
Back