• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Precedent for in-season coaching change?

If [Redacted] is firied I would do everything in my power to every home game the rest of this season...

Agreed. I recently moved back to the area and one of my great excitements was Wake hoops games. My wife loves hoops and I thought it would be a great weekend outing for us. But no way in hell I'm driving two hours each way for this. My wife would never want to go back.

This situation has gone beyond embarrassing ... on national tv. Losing at home to the doormat of the big ten by a score that doesnt reflect how bad it was in front of a "crowd" of two thousand people. Long-time supporters are continuing to bail on the program. Folks who bought tickets not deeming it worth the effort to come to the game. Players continually coming out flat and not giving their best effort. A coach that admits on the air that he doesnt know why it continues to happen.
Making a change now wont address the revenue issue ... fans wont light up the ticket office phones with the announcement that Jeff Battle is taking over for the duration. However, it would reinvigorate the team. We would see a difference on the court, and that very well might help us land a better coach next spring.
I dont see it happening ... and it baffles me how RW can sit there and watch our once-proud program fall apart and not do anything about it ... ego be damned.

I was quite embarrassed to see how few people were there - looked more like 200 than 2000 on TV. But I can't blame the fans for not showing up. The product that [Redacted] puts on the court is so far from what Wake Forest basketball used to be & could still be...with a coach who knew what the hell he was doing. Wellman needs to suck up his pride, admit he made a bad hire, and send Bzzz packing. NOW!

Childress....at least he'd be enthusiastic. Plus he's a baller!!

I get what everybody is saying here, and all the "anybody but bzz" stuff, but just firing bzz isn't the end game, we HAVE to hit the next one out of the park. Let Chill or Rusty or Battle or whoever finish out the season. Yes, I would go buy season tix for the rest of the season right now if Bzz was out, but we have to be prepared to say goodbye to ALL of those guys next year if that's what a new coach wants. And none of those three needs to be the next head coach.

I know we all know this, but just as the bar has been set so low that mediocrity seems an accomplishment, remember the goal is still to hire a coach that is better than Dino, and who will take us the next step from there (which was top ranked tournament team with 4 and 5 stars that just needed to learn how to finish a season!!!).

There's only one man who can turn this around, today:

0.jpg

The first thing that needs to happen is to fire the pompous asshole who created this mess.
Second, fire [Redacted].
Third, install Rusty as interim coach
Fourth, begin a LEGITIMATE search for a competent AD
Fifth, let the new AD determine our new basketball coach
Sixth, the new AD has Grobe on a VERY short leash next season.

Will any of this happen? Hell no.

I wouldn't want a head coach who doesn't have his own guys. That was a huge red flag for Bz from the beginning.

I keep thinking about my Winston area friends who stopped going to games. They always looked forward to sharing their love for Wake sports with their kids and now they don't even go themselves. We're missing out on a generation of young Deacon fans because the product is too painful/ugly/boring to watch.

The first thing that needs to happen is to fire the pompous asshole who created this mess.

You can't fire a heart attack.

I wouldn't want a head coach who doesn't have his own guys. That was a huge red flag for Bz from the beginning.

I keep thinking about my Winston area friends who stopped going to games. They always looked forward to sharing their love for Wake sports with their kids and now they don't even go themselves. We're missing out on a generation of young Deacon fans because the product is too painful/ugly/boring to watch.

He tried to bring one who had ties to Valvano and we turned down. He also brought in Mark Pope.

Yea, i want to post more on this later, but a coach needs his own staff. Even by Bzdeliks insipid career standards, these Wake Forest teams are horribly under performing. They are far worse than any previous [Redacted] team, and I do wonder if our FrankenStaff is part of the reason.

It was bad that [Redacted] didn't have a lot of college assistants, and it was bad that Wellman didn't let him bring the few he did have.

Next coach gets to clear house on his own terms. No more half measures.

I was quite embarrassed to see how few people were there - looked more like 200 than 2000 on TV. But I can't blame the fans for not showing up. The product that [Redacted] puts on the court is so far from what Wake Forest basketball used to be & could still be...with a coach who knew what the hell he was doing. Wellman needs to suck up his pride, admit he made a bad hire, and send Bzzz packing. NOW!

How does Wellman get away with such obvious dishonesty? The Wake Forest website has the attendance as 6508. I was always proud that our old "culture" had integrity as a core value. But where is that integrity now...? This new "culture" is just not right for MSD.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/wf112712.html

How frequently does this occur in college hoops...

Not very often, but at my own alma mater, which has not made an impact on the college basketball world in decades (Dartmouth is more of a hockey school), it happened in rather spectacular fashion three years ago. I'm not suggesting that this could or should happen at Wake. For one thing, Ivy League players are not on scholarship, so there was no real risk to the players in organizing a rebellion. But it is an interesting example of a mid-season coaching change.

Dartmouth fires coach following boycott threat
Jeff Goodman
foxsports.com
Updated Jan 8, 2010 10:14 PM ET

Dartmouth men's basketball coach Terry Dunn was forced to resign after his entire team threatened to boycott taking the court this weekend.

Multiple sources told FOXSports.com that the each player signed a document that was taken to the administration on Friday stating they refused to play for Dunn.

Dunn, who had a 47-103 overall record in five-plus seasons, was forced to resign on Friday afternoon.

The school released the news that Dunn resigned in a statement on Friday evening.

"Terry has been a loyal and dedicated member of our staff,” Acting Athletic Director Bob Ceplikas said in the statement. "We thank him for his service and leadership to our basketball program and wish him the best in his future pursuits.”

The Big Green was 3-10 this season.

Sources also told FOXSports.com that the entire staff from a year ago chose to leave this past offseason.

No interim coach has been named yet. First-year Dartmouth assistant coaches Mark Gaupe, Michael Brown and Tim Lane will share coaching against Harvard on Saturday.

It's the second Ivy League coach that has been forced to leave during this season after Penn fired Glen Miller last month after a winless start.

That number must reflect tickets sold (including unused season tickets), not fannies in the seats.

And what is amazing is how low that number has gotten. It has decreased dramatically since BzArrival.

You can't fire a heart attack.

He tried to bring one who had ties to Valvano and we turned down. He also brought in Mark Pope.

Bz kept 3 guys. Pope had never coached with him.

FWIW, we allegedly almost had a situation like Dartmouth back in the 1980s. Word around campus was that the hoops team went to Gene Hooks and told him they were ready to quit on Tacy, and Hooks did replace Tacy after that season.

Funny Tacy story. I met Jim Miller at a UVA function recently, and we talked about ACC hoops back when he was playing. He said he looked at Wake but chose UVA. He said Tacy called him once while recruiting him, said who he was and that was about it. Jim said he had to bring up topics to discuss because Tacy was mostly silent - said it was very awkward. Fit well with everything I heard about Tacy during his tenure - very good Xs and Os coach but no personality and had little relationship with his players.

That number must reflect tickets sold (including unused season tickets), not fannies in the seats.

I think it always has. The difference between fannies and tickets sold is just greater.

cville, get ready for a bobknightfan tirade.

Last edited:
I think it always has. The difference between fannies and tickets sold is just greater.

cville, get ready for a bobknightfan tirade.

I have him on ignore. So if we do get an entertaining bkf tirade, lemme know so I can unblock it.

I fbusz were fired I would buy as many tickets as possible and give them away.

This is absolutely correct. We need all the fans we can get. Young support provides energy, excitement, money, word-of-mouth growth, which is what we absolutely need because we don't have enough bandwagoners. We need young kids to be pumped about the Deacs. But kids are attracted to winners. Just a fact. When both sports are just embarrassing, kids' attentions are drawn away.

Raising young people to be staunch Deacons in this woeful era is one proving to be one of my greatest parenting challenges! I'm sure many on here can relate.

Not very often, but at my own alma mater, which has not made an impact on the college basketball world in decades (Dartmouth is more of a hockey school), it happened in rather spectacular fashion three years ago. I'm not suggesting that this could or should happen at Wake. For one thing, Ivy League players are not on scholarship, so there was no real risk to the players in organizing a rebellion. But it is an interesting example of a mid-season coaching change.

Dartmouth fires coach following boycott threat
Jeff Goodman
foxsports.com
Updated Jan 8, 2010 10:14 PM ET

Dartmouth men's basketball coach Terry Dunn was forced to resign after his entire team threatened to boycott taking the court this weekend.

Multiple sources told FOXSports.com that the each player signed a document that was taken to the administration on Friday stating they refused to play for Dunn.

Dunn, who had a 47-103 overall record in five-plus seasons, was forced to resign on Friday afternoon.

The school released the news that Dunn resigned in a statement on Friday evening.

"Terry has been a loyal and dedicated member of our staff,” Acting Athletic Director Bob Ceplikas said in the statement. "We thank him for his service and leadership to our basketball program and wish him the best in his future pursuits.”

The Big Green was 3-10 this season.

Sources also told FOXSports.com that the entire staff from a year ago chose to leave this past offseason.

No interim coach has been named yet. First-year Dartmouth assistant coaches Mark Gaupe, Michael Brown and Tim Lane will share coaching against Harvard on Saturday.

It's the second Ivy League coach that has been forced to leave during this season after Penn fired Glen Miller last month after a winless start.

That happened while I was living in Lebanon. Crazy stuff. Good for the team for standing up for themselves.

Back