• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICIAL 2016/17 Premier League

What a fucking magnificent performance from top to bottom. Spurs were just relentless, playing like a pack of hungry dogs and just ran City into the ground. Too big, too fast, too strong, too good.

Toby Alderweireld is the best player in the Premier League. An absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. He's somehow a cross between the ball playing ability and awareness of Rio Ferdinand and the strength and nastiness of Vidic. Just an absurdly good player.

Yaya can't get a minute yet Sterling is out there dabbing after tackles down 2-0 and won't miss a minute.

What a fucking magnificent performance from top to bottom. Spurs were just relentless, playing like a pack of hungry dogs and just ran City into the ground. Too big, too fast, too strong, too good.

Toby Alderweireld is the best player in the Premier League. An absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. He's somehow a cross between the ball playing ability and awareness of Rio Ferdinand and the strength and nastiness of Vidic. Just an absurdly good player

We have reached peak-vad.

We have reached peak-vad.

lolol, probably. To be fair, Spurs just smashed Guardiola's boys at White Hart Lane in a dominating fashion so I'm excused some excess.

I honestly do think Alderweireld deserves to spoken about as the best player in the PL though. He's played 2 full seasons in the Premier League and the teams he's been on have allowed 33 (having allowed 46 the year before he arrived) and 35 (having allowed 53 the year before he arrived) and then this season his team has allowed just 3 in 7. He's by a long ways the best defender in the Premier League and given the way that every defense he's been at the heart of has been unbelievably stingy I think it's fair to say he's among the very best players in the league regardless of position.

Alderweireld committed 8 fouls last season. As a center back at the heart of the best defense in the league, playing every single match. EIGHT. That's so absurd I'm not even sure how to comprehend it.

He is very good. Excellent, even.

He isn't Rio and he isn't Vidic. And he certainly isn't Rio + Vidic!

And I was coaching today so didn't see any of the games. Looking forward to catching up on my DVR of them or maybe MOTD will be enough. Glad your boys got the 3 points off City. Too bad United didn't turn what seems to have been a dominating performance into 3 points today. Balls.

He's on the same level that Rio / Vidic / Kompany / Terry were at their peaks in terms of recent star center halves in the PL. Spurs are on pace right now to concede less than 20 goals on the season, and he's a huge reason why.

On a side note, it's strange to me how long it takes for defenders to build reputations, it's only now that you start hearing people talk about Alderweireld as one of the best defenders in the world even though he's been at this level for a couple of years now. If he was a striker and came in and banged in back to back 25+ goal seasons nobody would be able to miss it.

Deeper playing midfielders suffer the same weird fate. Certain positions just have to consistently do it to be recognized for whatever reason.

Just saw that West Brom's next 3 matches are Spurs, @Liverpool, Man City ... that's a fucking brutal October for them.

This game emphasizes how well Spurs' summer recruitment turned out. If this was last season, with Dier/Dembele/Kane out injured, we start the game with Mason in MF and Chadli at Striker. Wanyama, Sissoko, and Son (who Poch prevented from leaving after the Olympics) were absolutely huge today.

Prob doesn't help that he couldn't crack atleti's lineup

Yeah, he had some comments about that recently - basically that he learned to play football at Ajax and then had to learn to defend under Simeone. He's clearly not even remotely close to the player he was at Atletico (like a lot defenders, probably just needed age and experience as much as anything ... he still only 27 now, so just beginning to hit his peak years).

Great stuff from Spurs today. Love me some Tobes and Dele, so can't knock Vad on that, they were excellent.

Karius is very handsome (half the battle) but yeah, never came for crosses in Germany so that might be an issue; one hopes not too much of one. But maybe he's a pretty boy who doesn't like to mix it up. I think he'll still be better than Mignolet.

And it is tough to be recognized as a top quality player without doing it in the Champions League as well. That goes for any player.

This is his first CL season as a regular starter at a top 5 league club.

Great stuff from Spurs today. Love me some Tobes and Dele, so can't knock Vad on that, they were excellent.

Karius is very handsome (half the battle) but yeah, never came for crosses in Germany so that might be an issue; one hopes not too much of one. But maybe he's a pretty boy who doesn't like to mix it up. I think he'll still be better than Mignolet.

WHOA BRO

Don't set such a high bar there....

Also, it is interesting that Pochettino and Simeone played together for Argentina have built their careers on young teams that are defensively sound and play with relentless pace and effort. They have different styles in terms of tactics and formations but both share that same almost pathological aversion to conceding goals and they expect their players to run themselves into the ground. Watching Spurs today against City was a bit like watching some of Simeone's Atletico teams play Barcelona - just relentless running and organization.

Back