• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Presumably OFFICIAL 2016/17 Premier League

Lots of talk today about zonal marking on set pieces because of Klopp's appearance on MNF ... but I really wish someone had contrasted that with the man marking system Leicester used and how United exploited it routinely.

Liecester has a pair of very strong defenders in the air, but the rest of the squad they put out was a bit undersized. Mourinho abused this by having Zlatan (man marked by Morgan) pull his man wide and past the near post on nearly every corner (a few times out past the far post as well). Because United has a number of big aerial threats, this meant that Huth was left as the only effective defender in the air in the mouth of goal and 3 or 4 mismatches for United in his vicinity.

Take Pogba's goal for example ... Morgan is way out of the picture (literally past the goal behind the far post) because Zlatan has dragged him so wide. Huth is marking Smalling who is also running towards the back post ... so there is no strong aerial defender anywhere near the front post. Pogba is man marked by Fuchs, who simply has 0 chance of stopping him. As far as set piece goals that was extremely simple, and it mostly comes down to the fact that United just tore up Liecester's man marking system.

The Telegraph is going with 8 Premier League managers taking bung payments in their edition tomorrow. Reading no foreign managers; guesses? That's what brought down George Graham right?

Lots of talk today about zonal marking on set pieces because of Klopp's appearance on MNF ... but I really wish someone had contrasted that with the man marking system Leicester used and how United exploited it routinely.

Liecester has a pair of very strong defenders in the air, but the rest of the squad they put out was a bit undersized. Mourinho abused this by having Zlatan (man marked by Morgan) pull his man wide and past the near post on nearly every corner (a few times out past the far post as well). Because United has a number of big aerial threats, this meant that Huth was left as the only effective defender in the air in the mouth of goal and 3 or 4 mismatches for United in his vicinity.

Take Pogba's goal for example ... Morgan is way out of the picture (literally past the goal behind the far post) because Zlatan has dragged him so wide. Huth is marking Smalling who is also running towards the back post ... so there is no strong aerial defender anywhere near the front post. Pogba is man marked by Fuchs, who simply has 0 chance of stopping him. As far as set piece goals that was extremely simple, and it mostly comes down to the fact that United just tore up Liecester's man marking system.

Yeah, it's not an either/or thing with zonal v. man which a lot of people don't seem to get. Good post, think the next significant development tactically will be more complicated, choreographed set piece work, we see a bit of now.

Anyway, the Klopp thing was great, he has a nice way of talking about soccer. People should watch it and learn some stuff.

Was it his first pro contract? I might be off on this, but I feel like three years is common for an 18 year old just coming into the first team, and it may be the official cap.

Was it his first pro contract? I might be off on this, but I feel like three years is common for an 18 year old just coming into the first team, and it may be the official cap.

Not sure. A commenter elsewhere likened it to a "bridge" contract in hockey but maybe there's a limit?

Tim Fosu-Mensah got the start today at RB instead of Darmian in a chopped and changed United side. Darmian probably gone in January.

I really like Fosu-Mensah. Has all the qualities to be a CB just like Bailly.

Rooney comes on and gets an assist!

I mean, it was a horrible miskick from a great pull back cross by Fosu-Mensah to the penalty spot that Zlatan headed in, but still...INSTANT IMPACT! He's so crap now.

I mean, it was a horrible miskick from a great pull back cross by Fosu-Mensah to the penalty spot that Zlatan headed in, but still...INSTANT IMPACT! He's so crap now.

These sound like characters from a Harry Potter book.

What a crap performance. I just don't understand playing sure-fire first choice players in this match. They just weren't up for it until a win was looking unlikely without idea bucked up a bit.

Should back up Wilshere in the World Cup.

Back