• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question to board Re: Grobe

Mbadvisor

Reaction score
I know this is a Haas, but who on the staff is related to him?

This is how real programs respond when their OC's suck, even when they are relatives. Boy it was fun back when we were getting coaches fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2661718

This is the first line of the story - "For months, Florida State fans have clamored for the ouster of offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden, blaming him for the team's woes."

How many years have Wake fans been "clamoring" for Lobo's "ouster"?

I've been #loboout since before twitter existed. 10 Years.

I remember when F$U wore those "unconquered" unis and we laughed at them.

It's a real shame to see a guy who had so much potential to retire a legend and a media darling but chose to throw it all to the wind just to protect a distant family member
and some old-time buddies.

We all have choices at pivotal moments in our careers. Unfortunately for Grobe, I think he chose very poorly and put the loyalty to his buddies above those of his employer and shareholders.

It's in this thread somewhere, though I haven't combed through to find the actual post yet. Not in the first 160 replies.

As a bonus, you get to see a Doofus meltdown over alleged nepotism, IIRC.

ETA: Boom, I win. Looks like BG was right.

FROM A SOMEONE VERY CLOSE TO THE COACHES...that I just talked with...

Grobe sat Billings and Henry down last night (not sure of they were separate or together) and told them that he needed to bring new life into the program and they were both being let go. Coach Henry was supposed to go on a recruiting visit this morning but instead he cleaned out his office.

People (myself included) are wondering why the defense was targeted when the offense has had so many problems the last two seasons. The players on D love Coach Billings and Coach Henry. There is concern with them finding jobs, uprooting family/kids, etc. A lot of upset people.

The person I talked to got the impression that this was not Grobe's idea and that he might be trying to save his job. They think this has Wellman written all over it.

The other interesting tidbit is that the source said Grobe's son (not sure which one) is engaged to the sister-in-law of one of the offensive coaches (the sister of a O coach's wife).

So there you go.

Confirmed. Ben Grobe is engaged to Nicole Hazen.

Sister of Kristen Hazen Lobotzke.

They are to be married in June of this year.

Last edited:
It's a real shame to see a guy who had so much potential to retire a legend and a media darling but chose to throw it all to the wind just to protect a distant family member
and some old-time buddies.

We all have choices at pivotal moments in our careers. Unfortunately for Grobe, I think he chose very poorly and put the loyalty to his buddies above those of his employer and shareholders.

I mean, Lobo has been an awful OC, but for Grobe I'm certain he is more than a "distant family member" or "buddy." I imagine he's more like a son. Grobe's not going to fire his son, especially when Lobo has apparently been dealing with serious health issues with his own kids. It sucks that Lobo has not produced better results, but I'm not going to consider Grobe a turncoat for not canning him and exhibiting more loyalty to me as a random fan than Lobo. They're just too close. It is what it is.

It's his job. If you can't fire your son to do your job better, that's nepotism.

Sure it is. I'm just saying, I get it. He'll never fire Lobo.

I mean, Lobo has been an awful OC, but for Grobe I'm certain he is more than a "distant family member" or "buddy." I imagine he's more like a son. Grobe's not going to fire his son, especially when Lobo has apparently been dealing with serious health issues with his own kids. It sucks that Lobo has not produced better results, but I'm not going to consider Grobe a turncoat for not canning him and exhibiting more loyalty to me as a random fan than Lobo. They're just too close. It is what it is.

Grobe is running a major enterprise and drawing a CEO's salary to do so. It has nothing to do with being a "turncoat". It has EVERYTHING to do with running a program that is beholden (or should be) to thousands of shareholders who pay significant portions of their disposable incomes with the expectation that absolutely everything is being done to run a clean and competitive program.

If Grobe's that concerned about Lobo's well-being then pay him a salary out of his own pocket and hire a competent offensive coordinator.

Lobo only has a job out of charity as it is.

If Grobe's that concerned about Lobo's well-being then pay him a salary out of his own pocket and hire a competent offensive coordinator.

Lobo only has a job out of charity as it is.

Grobe makes enough to pay Lobo $200K to shine his shoes instead of ruining his program.

We all agree Lobo has been a bad OC. My only point is that there's no reason to downplay the relationship between Grobe and Lobo by flippantly referring to them as "buddies." You can continue to argue that Grobe should fire him, but nothing wrong with acknowledging how personally difficult that would be for Grobe to do.

We all agree Lobo has been a bad OC. My only point is that there's no reason to downplay the relationship between Grobe and Lobo by flippantly referring to them as "buddies." You can continue to argue that Grobe should fire him, but nothing wrong with acknowledging how personally difficult that would be for Grobe to do.

Who referred to Lobo and Grobe as "buddies"? Let me re-quote my original post for you:

and some old-time buddies

The distant family member would be Lobo.

Back