• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recruiting by Prospective Coaches

tbpnwe

Reaction score
Gregg Marshall one 4 star recruit....vast majority NR
Tommy Amaker two 4 stars at Harvard

Will any of the Dukies recruit hard for the same guys Coach K wants? I doubt it.

Will any of the Dukies recruit hard for the same guys Coach K wants? I doubt it.

I would think their professional integrity says otherwise. Besides, if Coach K wants them bad enough they are not coming to Wake anyway...ie McDonald All Americas Besides, Coach K will not be around much longer so these guys have their own legacies to build.

It's absurd to think that a coach would purposely tank their own job to protect their mentor who doesn't need protecting in the first place. Asinine. These guys have pride.
There are plenty of reasons to not want Amaker, but DinDC's point on multiple threads is not one of them .

It's absurd to think that a coach would purposely tank their own job to protect their mentor who doesn't need protecting in the first place. Asinine. These guys have pride.
There are plenty of reasons to not want Amaker, but DinDC's point on multiple threads is not one of them .

Amaker will stay at Harvard building a program and reputation, once K retires Duke will bring back Amaker or Dawkins based on how each perform over the next 5-10 years.

Amaker will stay at Harvard building a program and reputation, once K retires Duke will bring back Amaker or Dawkins based on how each perform over the next 5-10 years.

Thinking wojo already has that job

Who the hell knows. At one time Dawkins had it on lock and then he went to Stanford. Now it could be one of about four guys.

These guys and Wojo are all in the running to replace K...sometime. The three will compete over the next several years. The question is, what jobs in the interim make the best showcase? I don't think another ACC school just down the road is a good showcase.

K can only take as many as he has scholarships. Who will get the others is our concern.

The question isn't how have they recruited at [SCHOOL X] but how would they recruit at Wake Forest. That Gregg Marshall isn't roping in one top 50 recruit after another at Wichita effing State doesn't bother me per se, unless there are broader trends in his style and method of, and commitment to, recruiting that is indicative of a deeper issue.

Part of the reason why I'm not as bearish on Amaker as many others is because I think he'd be able to leverage his prior experiences at Wake more effectively than what is reflected solely in Harvard's yearly commitment tables. He is from Fayetteville, NC, played and coached in the ACC, and has coached a pair of high-major schools as well as an academically rigorous institution. And it's quite possible that his tenure at Harvard has taught him a thing or two about how to make the "academics" pitch to high school basketball players, which he wouldn't have necessarily had (or knew how to) do at schools like Seton Hall or Michigan. Basically, I'd like to think he'd be able to synthesize all of that into a recruiting 'package' peculiarly effective at a school like Wake, which is an ACC school in North Carolina that also happens to be small and academically oriented.

TL/DR: I think Amaker could package and turn his prior coaching experiences into better-than-expected recruiting success at Wake.

Last edited:
I feel like Shaka Smart might be able to occasionally get a decent recruit.

Gregg Marshall one 4 star recruit....vast majority NR
Tommy Amaker two 4 stars at Harvard

Here's my take on these guys:
1) Shaka
2) Amaker
3) Miller
4) Howland
5) Marshall
6) White
7) Masiello
8) Lonergan

Smart went from overachieving on the recruiting trial to turning his hype into results. Check the rankings - dude has done work. Clear cut #1.

Amaker's recruiting at Harvard is nothing short of outstanding. He's beaten us on at least three occasions, locked up 2 4-stars, 3 Top-100 guys IIRC, and just done an outstanding job of finding "Harvard guys." He locked up stellar classes at SHU and UM, as well. He's a proven commodity in this area and in a lot of different types of environments. No doubt, this guy can recruit well here.

Miller's recruiting is very under-the-radar, but has been very good. I'd put him as #3 of our candidates behind Smart and Amaker, in this area. He got Pierre completely under the radar (seriously - NOBODY in domestic circles knew about this guy until the very end of the recruiting period) and has definitely upped the solid/unspectacular recruiting culture that Brian Gregory had laid down there. I have no doubt that he'll recruit up to ACC standards and then some with a promotion.

Howland is as good as his assistants, but his resume speaks for itself. Dude has recruited very well at every stop and, even in his off years, lands some absurd talent. Coaches up under-the-radar guys, too, so I think he'll be really successful for us should we offer.

Marshall has one 4-star, but has recruited very good teams. JuCo recruiting is among the best in the country, too. Cleanthony was the top JuCo his year, iirc. It's kind of a moot point, though, since we're not going to be a team of JuCo's. That said, dude recruited NC VERY well when he was at Winthrop. It was the Big South, but he got some rock solid regional talent and those guys over performed their rankings every year.

White and Masiello have been solid, but I don't know how much you can take away from either of their resumes in this area. Remember that their jobs aren't really great jobs. White has been solid, but his teams the past few years have been very good, outperforming their collective "stars."

Masiello is recruiting in the MAAC, for Christ's sake, so I don't know how much we can get out of that.

Lonergan is in a weird spot, but his team is the sum of their transfers. I don't really like any of the guys that he's brought in, personally...

Last edited:
Part of the reason why I'm not as bearish on Amaker as many others is because I think he'd be able to leverage his prior experiences at Wake more effectively than what is reflected solely in Harvard's yearly commitment tables. He is from Fayetteville, NC

Amaker is from Falls Church, VA. A photo of his ~4th grade team in on the James Lee rec center wall. Also, after his decision to play at a HS several miles away, but close to where his mom taught, Fairfax Co. changed its rules regarding the right of teachers to send their kids to schools close to where they teach. It's known as the Amaker Rule.

The question isn't how have they recruited at [SCHOOL X] but how would they recruit at Wake Forest. That Gregg Marshall isn't roping in one top 50 recruit after another at Wichita effing State doesn't bother me per se, unless there are broader trends in his style and method of, and commitment to, recruiting that is indicative of a deeper issue.

Part of the reason why I'm not as bearish on Amaker as many others is because I think he'd be able to leverage his prior experiences at Wake more effectively than what is reflected solely in Harvard's yearly commitment tables. He is from Fayetteville, NC, played and coached in the ACC, and has coached a pair of high-major schools as well as an academically rigorous institution. And it's quite possible that his tenure at Harvard has taught him a thing or two about how to make the "academics" pitch to high school basketball players, which he wouldn't have necessarily had (or knew how to) do at schools like Seton Hall or Michigan. Basically, I'd like to think he'd be able to synthesize all of that into a recruiting 'package' peculiarly effective at a school like Wake, which is an ACC school in North Carolina that also happens to be small and academically oriented.

TL/DR: I think Amaker could package and turn his prior coaching experiences into better-than-expected recruiting success at Wake.

Capel is from Fayetteville, NC

Hasn't Shaka benefited a lot from transfers?

He had Skeen for his first run, but he had proven himself as an ace recruiter as of late. Recruiting at a Wake level in the CAA/A10 is impressive. Same goes for Archie, IMO.

Gregg Marshall is not an outstanding recruiter, but he is a good one. A lot of the misconception on this board comes from an ignorance of JuCo recruiting and under rating what he's done at a MVC and Big South program.

Back