• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recruiting by Prospective Coaches

Gregg Marshall is not an outstanding recruiter, but he is a good one. A lot of the misconception on this board comes from an ignorance of JuCo recruiting and under rating what he's done at a MVC and Big South program.

Which one is the better in game coach?

I would honestly be happy with both. Think Shaka would be better at relating to the students though

I don't understand how you could think White's got more recruiting upside than Masiello considering their respective backgrounds. Other than that, I agree with the list.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't understand how you could think White's got more recruiting upside than Masiello considering their respective backgrounds. Other than that, I agree with the list.

I'm not talking about upside really. Both obviously have upside. White had recruited a couple of players. you know I like Masiello, but he's a completely unknown commodity and MAAC coaches are a mixed bag when they move up a level. Willard is a best case example, IMO.

I'm not talking about upside really. Both obviously have upside. White had recruited a couple of players. you know I like Masiello, but he's a completely unknown commodity and MAAC coaches are a mixed bag when they move up a level. Willard is a best case example, IMO.

White's recruiting at Ole Miss absolutely pales in comparison to Masiello's at Louisville, though. I know those two schools are different beasts, but I have way more respect for Masiello's resume, at least as far as recruiting is concerned.

Masiello was the lead recruiter for a national championship Louisville team, wgaf what players he's recruited to Manhattan in 2 or 3 seasons.

White's recruiting at Ole Miss absolutely pales in comparison to Masiello's at Louisville, though. I know those two schools are different beasts, but I have way more respect for Masiello's resume, at least as far as recruiting is concerned.

That's fine (and you're right), but I don't feel comfortable projecting like that. There are top assistants every year who are unable to replicate their success at their next stop. Also, there's a huge difference between Ole Miss and Louisville. Furthermore, we don't know each school's respective divisions of labor on the recruiting trail. Lots of variables mess around with that projection, IMO.

We have a larger sample at a higher level with White. That's why I think I like White better, but it's definitely close. Both are a risk; I think both will be fine.

That's fine (and you're right), but I don't feel comfortable projecting like that. There are top assistants every year who are unable to replicate their success at their next stop. Also, there's a huge difference between Ole Miss and Louisville. Furthermore, we don't know each school's respective divisions of labor on the recruiting trail. Lots of variables mess around with that projection, IMO.

We have a larger sample at a higher level with White. That's why I think I like White better, but it's definitely close. Both are a risk; I think both will be fine.

I agree with you that an assistants recruiting success won't necessarily transfer to his head coaching spot, but Louisville hasn't built their current success on top 25 recruits. Pitino & Masiello built the current Louisville dynasty (can we call it that?) on fringe top 50 players who stay 4 years. Wake is easily capable of the same level of recruiting that Louisville has had in the last 6 or 7 years.

Masiello was the lead recruiter for a national championship Louisville team, wgaf what players he's recruited to Manhattan in 2 or 3 seasons.

I'm sure recruiting players to play for Pitino at UL was a tough job.

Amaker will stay at Harvard building a program and reputation, once K retires Duke will bring back Amaker or Dawkins based on how each perform over the next 5-10 years.

K wants Wojo to succeed him. So, Wojo will be the next head coach unless K collapses and dies before the next coach will be hired.

Masiello scares me. I don't Tony Soprano and Winston-Salem are a good match.

Back