• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

MHB, yeah Redskin has been used with different intent and in a different context in a pejorative way. It is not being used with a pejorative intent, indeed quite the opposite, nor is its use in the context of a football team pejorative. You could also use the word Jew in a pejorative way, or in a value neutral, or also in a positive way. It depends primarily on intent and context.

In the case of the Washington Redskins football team the use of the word is not pejorative in either intent or context. An adult should be intelligent enough to understand that, and most Indians appear to be able to do so. The liberal activists and their unthinking followers are simply wrong.

Navajo Nation
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/04/11/navajo-nation-officially-joins-fight-against-redskins-mascot-154423

The Navajo Nation Council voted 9-2 on Thursday, April 10 on a bill called “Opposing the Use of Disparaging References to Native People in Professional Sports Franchises” introduced by Councilman Joshua Lavar Butler in March.

Cherokee Nation, Choctaw Nation, Chickasaw Nation, Muscogee Nation, Seminole Nation
http://www.changethemascot.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Intertribal-Council-of-Five-Civilized-Tribes-Washington-Sports-Team-Resolution.pdf

Native American Finance Officers Association

http://www.changethemascot.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20131007_NAFOA_Board_Letter_Redskins_Use.pdf

Poarch Band of Creek Indians
http://www.changethemascot.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ltr-from-Poarch-to-Cantwell-re-DC-NFL-franchise-name-9-23-13.pdf

keep telling yourself that this is just a movement by non-native liberal activists.

Tom Cole is a republican and enrolled member of the Chickasaw Nation. What would you say to his opposition to the name?

Yeah, all of those democratically elected leaders of the largest, wealthiest tribes in America don't know what is going on in their communities.

keep misstating what I said, that only reveals the depth of your confusion

my comment was toward the general board sentiment that this is just a liberal cause without native involvement. But tell me again how deep my confusion goes?

apparently on this issue they don't

So we can just dismiss the support of tribal governments, trade groups and other organizations in favor of a poll of 504 people, 56% of whom are not enrolled tribal members?

I can't do that.

They should change the name to something that goes with DC. I never understood the Redskins name anyways. I'll still pull for them either way.

They should change the name to something that goes with DC. I never understood the Redskins name anyways. I'll still pull for them either way.

Like the Braves, the Redskins originated in Boston. The name comes from the disguised colonists in the Boston Tea Party. So all this actually about white guys, technically.

Like the Braves, the Redskins originated in Boston. The name comes from the disguised colonists in the Boston Tea Party. So all this actually about white guys, technically.

Well white guys dressing as ethnic stereotypes.

Well, let me give you a little history that might help explain the name. Originally the Washington Redskins were the Boston Braves, for a year (1932), then the Boston Redskins, until George P. Marshall bought the time the team and moved it to DC. At the time the team was formed and named, there was an old (founded 1871), established baseball team in Boston known as the Boston Braves.

At the time a newly formed professional football team sometimes used either use the same name as the established baseball team in a city, or something related. Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bears; Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions; Boston Braves, Boston Braves, Boston Redskins.

The new professional football teams were trying to get a little fandom carryover from the much better known and older baseball team in town.

I'm new to this thread, but is sailordeac just being a troll, or is he/she truly that much of a cunt to continue calling Native Americans "Indians"

Some people are just fucking clueless.

Back