• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

They risk angering their base. Trump vaulted to #2 in the polls. Now you can argue that was despite his comments about Mexicans or because of his comments about Mexicans. Republicans also don't want to risk pissing off a "$9 billion" potential donor.

Jeb, in particular, has to stand up to Trump. Jeb's wife is Mexican and it was no mistake that he mixed in a few Spanish words during his announcement speech. GOP base already hates Jeb, Trump is never going to endorse him, and fundraising isn't Jeb's problem.

Obama campaign used a picture of Mitt with Trump's plane in the background as often as possible in 2012 because they knew how toxic Trump was in a general election. Macy's and Serta aren't dumping Trump because he's broadened his appeal.

Is FOX News going to allow applause during the August 6 debate?

I don't really get people ripping on Romney either. He was a smart dude who was just out of touch with lower and middle class America

I hated him for the same reason I hated John Edwards - they're the 2 biggest phonies in American politics since the turn of the century. In Edwards' 1 term in the Senate, he was up there with Conrad for the most conservative voting record for a Dem. Then when he was eying the presidency, he found Obama as a middle Dem and Hillary as a more conservative Dem, so he decided to do a complete political makeover and become a friend of poor people and run from the left wing. Add to that he was a sleazy medmal attorney and of course the affair. Similarly, Romney had a record as a very moderate gov in a liberal state, and then he had a makeover to embrace all the items on the Pubs' social agenda when he ran for President. The Daily Show did a hilarious bit on that makeover - if you don't remember it, go back and do a search on TDS website. And I think they went to the same $400/haircut barber.

Is FOX News going to allow applause during the August 6 debate?

Will there be a gay service member talking about getting removed from the military? If so, Fox will have to allow applause... again.

Hillary has much more support outside of this board than she does on this board. It's nonsense to equate the board with the rest of the world.

Outside of my grandmother, who loves Hillary Clinton, I have yet to find a single person in my entire swath of relationships that is fired up about Hillary. I have a family member that ran for governor in a state under the Democratic ticket, so that includes a very WIDE sample. Everyone says the same thing. We don't like her, but we will hold our nose and vote for her. That is a terrible principle.

You could not be more wrong. If Rand Paul is nominated, I will vote republican. I don't see myself voting for any of the others. I will almost surely vote Libertarian unless the unlikely happens and Paul wins the nomination. I am done holding my nose with one hand and voting with the other.

I think Rand Paul may have the best chance to beat Hillary as I think the demographics are such that you will need someone that feels different than your standard republican to break through. In my opinion Jeb Bush or some other mainstream republican has no chance to win. I fully expect the Republicans to nominate Jeb or someone who thinks and looks a lot like him. In that case, I really do not care who wins between Jeb and Hillary. I will not vote for either of them.

I will vote 3rd party if it is Jeb vs. Hillary.

Outside of my grandmother, who loves Hillary Clinton, I have yet to find a single person in my entire swath of relationships that is fired up about Hillary. I have a family member that ran for governor in a state under the Democratic ticket, so that includes a very WIDE sample. Everyone says the same thing. We don't like her, but we will hold our nose and vote for her. That is a terrible principle.

Who are they fired up by that they're not voting for?

Bernie is the only person I could imagine really being fired up about on the left. Even with a lot of grassroot support I suspect his ability to grab votes from the Democrats at a national stage is probably 15-25%.

Who are they fired up by that they're not voting for?

Bernie Sanders is the only name I ever see mentioned. I don't understand how no one likes her, yet she is going to beat the rest of the Democratic nominees. I understand why you would vote for Hilldog over a R, but I don't understand how Hillary is going to win the D nomination if no one likes her.

Because the primaries don't take place in a vacuum?

What is there not to understand? Democrats are voting for her because she is a shoo-in for president barring a massive scandal. She's the best opportunity the party has to elect a president in the next election due to name recognition, donations, and her resume.

Any competent high school senior knew that Obamacare wasn't going to be repealed during his presidency without 67 votes in the Senate. Boehner allowed 50+ House repeal votes while the GOP was still the minority party in the Senate. Cruz's loopy government shutdown had zero chance of succeeding. Cruz, Huckabee, and Jindal have floated any number of insane plans to pretend Supreme Court decisions don't matter. Jindal and Cruz are extremely academically accomplished. GOP has been a mess for several years and has amply demonstrated they don't deserve total control of the federal government.

Scott Walker is a complete hack. He became a cult hero for standing up to unions. WI Dem legislature fled to IL to avoid an inevitable vote. They looked just as stupid as Boehner and Cruz and deserved to lose to Walker. It's not always about principle, it's about competence and pragmaticism. Just don't believe in rewarding bad behavior by an entire political party with zero checks and balances.

Bernie Sanders is the only name I ever see mentioned. I don't understand how no one likes her, yet she is going to beat the rest of the Democratic nominees. I understand why you would vote for Hilldog over a R, but I don't understand how Hillary is going to win the D nomination if no one likes her.

Democrats aren't fired up by the field, so they're just choosing or settling for the one they believe defeat the Republicans.

Because the primaries don't take place in a vacuum?

What is there not to understand? Democrats are voting for her because she is a shoo-in for president barring a massive scandal. She's the best opportunity the party has to elect a president in the next election due to name recognition, donations, and her resume.

They should (because all of these candidates suck).

They should (because all of these candidates suck).

Uq1jgDO.jpg

Democrats aren't fired up by the field, so they're just choosing or settling for the one they believe defeat the Republicans.

I guess so. You just seemed to have hitched your wagon to everything that is wrong with American politics. Pretty much everything ya'll complain about you are about to vote for. You admit this, yet you still are going to vote for her.

I guess so. You just seemed to have hitched your wagon to everything that is wrong with American politics. Pretty much everything ya'll complain about you are about to vote for. You admit this, yet you still are going to vote for her.

Because the Republicans are worse. There's no good option here. American politics doesn't offer good alternatives and there's little that voters can do about it.

Why would voting for Chris Christie despite the fact my beliefs don't fit his be a better use of my vote?

Last edited:
What about Rand Paul? And Christie is definitely not worse than Clinton. He is extremely moderate (outside of not liking weed). Or you could choose Clinton, whose policies to be honest will mirror exactly what we have been doing the past two decades that hasn't been working. Everyone makes their own choices, I am just tired of hearing people complain about Washington and then elect the same families to run Washington. Expecting different results from the same action is insanity I hear.

Because I agree with them less than I agree with Hillary. Not sure what you don't get.

What about Rand Paul? And Christie is definitely not worse than Clinton. He is extremely moderate (outside of not liking weed). Or you could choose Clinton, whose policies to be honest will mirror exactly what we have been doing the past two decades that hasn't been working. Everyone makes their own choices, I am just tired of hearing people complain about Washington and then elect the same families to run Washington. Expecting different results from the same action is insanity I hear.

You really think there are no policy differences between Bubba, W, and Obama? America in 2015 is different than America in 1995, as is the world. GOP still has some OK options in Kasich, Jeb, Rubio, and Rand. Christie and Jindal looked a lot better a few years ago but both cratered. God forbid the GOP nominee isn't one of the above. 61% of Anericans now support marriage equality and not one of the 14 declared 'Pubs does?!? HRC and Jeb are probably the two closest to the center and there's still a huge chasm between them on policy issues.

Back