• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

It's still a long ways off, but I just don't get the feeling the GOP has learned any lessons from 2016. They are still acting the same and making the same "red meat" statements to the base. None of them have done anything to extend an olive branch to women, any of the minorities, or the moderates like myself. I have not heard one thing from any of them that would make me want to vote for them over HRC. Like I stated earlier, I like what I hear about Kasich but feel he'll go the way of Huntsman. GOP is still being too heavily influenced by tea party.

Oh and after hearing my father in law bitch about the Supreme Court's ruling on marriage this past weekend, I simply can't wait for the angry old white man to go away forever.

I think I'd vote for a Kasich/Huntsman ticket before a Hilary ticket unless Sanders or Warren or some actual liberal was attached as VP candidate.

Oh and after hearing my father in law bitch about the Supreme Court's ruling on marriage this past weekend, I simply can't wait for the angry old white man to go away forever.

Angry old white guy ain't never going away. If you live long enough, you might become one.

I think I'd vote for a Kasich/Huntsman ticket before a Hilary ticket unless Sanders or Warren or some actual liberal was attached as VP candidate.

Why does the veep matter unless the president dies or the president is Bush Lite and the veep is Cheney?

As for the Sanders/Warren wing of the party, I appreciate that Warren is 1 of the few pols who is serious about consumer protection. But they're both too anti trade and pro labor for my liking. And while I prefer to maintain a lighter footprint in the Middle East, I think Sanders might move too dangerously in that direction, much like Rand Paul. Not sure about Warren because I haven't heard her comment much of anything on foreign policy.

Angry old white guy ain't never going away. If you live long enough, you might become one.

Let' just diminish the numbers then, since they are incapable of changing or evolving. My father in law thinks the country went down the tubes when the mills in the south closed and everyone (in his opinion) stopped going to/or being forced to go to church. He's a great guy, but feels everything should stay the way is was 40-50 years ago.

Have no idea why the RNC bothered to publish a 2012 autopsy when they're absolutely powerless to implement change. One of the Fox panelist said it's as if Trump is a Dem sleeper agent. He trashes every GOP opponent and has burned bridges to Latinos, who the GOP desperately needs. They have to pray that he isn't worth $9B because filing official financial disclosures is the only way he doesn't run. He can self fund and destroy every other contender and if he loses he can still run as an independent and siphon off enough votes to hand the Dems the election.

If the GOP does have any real dirt on HRC, they'd be better off destroying her post-convention than now. Dems still have a weak bench, but why give them time find a replacement.

Was painful to watch McCain self destruct in 2008 with Joe the Plumber, suspending his campaign, the fundamentals of our economy are strong. People aren't attached like that to Cruz, Huckabee, Carson, and Jinfal who have all made bizarre missteps and stunts so far. Tea Party may not be running the show, but the RNC has zero control over the candidates or the base.

You may as well hope for a Mario/Sonic the Hedgehog ticket because that's as likely from the GOP.

You may as well hope for a Mario/Sonic the Hedgehog ticket because that's as likely from the GOP.

Strong Italian-American voting demographic, Mario breathes life into the Joe-the-Plumber wing of the working class Pub base and Sonic shores up the environmental bonafides; and neither got caught spinning a fanciful 13th hour narrative about a botched embassy security scandal/hid public documents on a homemade server. Better than most other tickets. I'm in.

Absolutely on Walker. Wishful and clouded thinking by Wrangor. I still think Walker has as good a shot at the nomination as anyone. The Christian Right hates Bush and Christie. There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth if either get the nomination. Paul has the libertarian wing of the party and some younger Pubs, but I just don't think an isolationist like him can get the nomination when most of the party still embraces neocons. Tea baggers and fiscal conservatives like Walker's union wars, and he's been kissing up to the Christian Right with some of his creationism statements. After the cray crays like Trump, Huck and Cruz are cast aside, the tea baggers and Christian Right will be forced to coalesce around either Walker or Rubio as the alternative to Bush. Ultimately, I'd guess Walker or Rubio gets it.

Definitely not wishful thinking on Jeb, PROBABLE wishful thinking on Christie. I don't know enough about Walker personally, and with the massive amount of applicants for the job, I kind of let him slide to the back of the pack sometimes. Personal bias of course. I think the debates are going to a massive determiner of the outcome in this primary which is why I value Christie much higher than the polls at this point in time. But it is very likely I am overstating Christie's chances and understating Walkers. The PUB side is really fascinating if you are a fan of politics.

Given the importance of the debates, it's just sad Fox News and the RNC aren't just splitting the candidates to do two debates instead of blocking candidates.

Definitely not wishful thinking on Jeb, PROBABLE wishful thinking on Christie. I don't know enough about Walker personally, and with the massive amount of applicants for the job, I kind of let him slide to the back of the pack sometimes. Personal bias of course. I think the debates are going to a massive determiner of the outcome in this primary which is why I value Christie much higher than the polls at this point in time. But it is very likely I am overstating Christie's chances and understating Walkers. The PUB side is really depressing if you are a fan of the USA.

FIFY

I laughed, but for serious though. Rubio, Paul, and Christie are all pretty exciting candidates. Rubio and Christie have forged their own path through tea infested waters, and while Paul is carrying on his father's traditions, he has stayed true to his cause almost without blemish (I can't think of any massive hypocrisies in his platform). While I wouldn't call Paul moderate, I would call him reasonable. Christie and Rubio are both moderate conservative politicians who are not living in the past. I am excited about all three of these guys at this point, and anxious to see what competition does to the entire group.

Would love Huntsman to get back in the race. Don't know squat about Kasich other than the limited info that has been posted about him on these boards.

I laughed, but for serious though. Rubio, Paul, and Christie are all pretty exciting candidates. Rubio and Christie have forged their own path through tea infested waters, and while Paul is carrying on his father's traditions, he has stayed true to his cause almost without blemish (I can't think of any massive hypocrisies in his platform). While I wouldn't call Paul moderate, I would call him reasonable. Christie and Rubio are both moderate conservative politicians who are not living in the past. I am excited about all three of these guys at this point, and anxious to see what competition does to the entire group.

Would love Huntsman to get back in the race. Don't know squat about Kasich other than the limited info that has been posted about him on these boards.

They may be exciting to the base but not to the tea party or ultra conservatives who will again stay home (as they did in 2012 with Mitt) should one get the nomination. You will again end up with a Presidential loss due to the tea party completely gutting the GOP as we used to know it. As BKF once said, GOP is in a real box and there is almost no way out.

They may be exciting to the base but not to the tea party or ultra conservatives who will again stay home (as they did in 2012 with Mitt) should one get the nomination. You will again end up with a Presidential loss due to the tea party completely gutting the GOP as we used to know it. As BKF once said, GOP is in a real box and there is almost no way out.

I think you are underestimated the hatred of Hillary Clinton by the Tea Party and the base. How can I explain it best...? HEre we go: White Mississippi Republicans voted in the Democratic Primary last time for a black guy for the sole purpose of voting against Hillary Clinton. The Tea Party and the Base won't be a problem if Hillary is the nominee. Trust me.

Tea Party matters in the GOP primaries, but doesn't really matter in the general election. Swing states that determine the election aren't electing Tea Party candidates statewide. Election will be won or lost in FL, OH, VA, NV, NM, CO, IA, and NH. Game's over if Dems win two of the first three. Running up the score in CA, TX, VT, or MS doesn't matter. It's all about winning the middle in swing states. GOP needs to get the Tea Party clowns out the the debates and primaries as soon as possible and hope their eventual nominee doesn't compromise too much to win the nomination leaving them vulnerable in the general election.

I think you are underestimated the hatred of Hillary Clinton by the Tea Party and the base. How can I explain it best...? HEre we go: White Mississippi Republicans voted in the Democratic Primary last time for a black guy for the sole purpose of voting against Hillary Clinton. The Tea Party and the Base won't be a problem if Hillary is the nominee. Trust me.

I think you underestimate the hatred for the tea party and the Pubs in general. No way is the country going to give them control of all 3 branches after the last fuck up in mid 2000. HRC may be somewhat beatable but the electoral college edge she will start with makes her almost unbeatable. Remember she can lose Ohio & Florida and still win the election. GOP can't do the same.

I also remember the hatred for Obama last time out and he stomped on the GOP. Hard to see Hillary not doing the same thing.

You keep calling Christie and Rubio moderates, but that doesn't make it true. When I look at their positions and statements, they pretty well fit into just about every conservative Pub position except for immigration. Kasich and Huntsman are moderates. And Paul is in a mostly libertarian league of his own.

Back