• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

You keep calling Christie and Rubio moderates, but that doesn't make it true. When I look at their positions and statements, they pretty well fit into just about every conservative Pub position except for immigration. Kasich and Huntsman are moderates. And Paul is in a mostly libertarian league of his own.

Rubio is a bit of a mixed bag. Still would put him in the more moderate camp. Christie is very moderate. What are his outliers? He is socially pragmatic, he is fiscally conservative, but he doesn't discriminate on his fiscal conservative nature. His goal is middle class jobs, and he has made a pretty good effort in NJ. Environmentally he has been very middle of the road. He doesn't kowtow to pressure from fox news or the right media. He dances to his own beat. How is Christie not moderate? Heck he relaunched his media campaign on MSNBC 'Morning Joe'.

Shots fired at Rand Paul by the way. Can't wait to see those two in a debate.

Last edited:
Christie is very moderate. What are his outliers?

Christie is quite conservative on education, labor, and guns.

He's moderate about the environment, immigration, and same sex marriage.

Relative unknowns include foreign policy and healthcare as far as I can tell. Generally, he's conservative, but compared to the GOP field, he's certainly one of the more moderate candidates.

Agree with the above. I would say he is conservative on Foreign Policy (definitely not isolationist) and healthcare he has pretty much stayed out of the fray. I imagine he would condemn ACA just out of self preservation, but not sure what his true views on that are. I imagine he would be pragmatic on his approach rather than idealistic. That is kind of his M.O.

I just read that the Wisconsin legislature removed the Milwaukee Bucks stadium funding from the budget proposed by Scott Walker. That could get interesting.

Walker's not too sharp and he makes up too much stuff on the fly which will end up costing him since his zig zagging is blatantly politically motivated. Walker didn't fight the court decision on gay marriage in WI, but is now advocating a constitutional amendment. His kids are adamantly opposed to his views on marriage equality and his wife is very close to her lesbian cousin. Walker's toast if he doesn't win Iowa and there are bigger true believers (Huck, Santorum, Cruz, Jindal) in the field.

If he gains traction, flip flopping will be used against him. He was pretty clear about his earlier financial support for the Bucks arena. Being an awkward dorky bastard isn't going to help either.

Exactly, Rube. It's worth reminding people every few weeks.

Walker's not too sharp and he makes up too much stuff on the fly which will end up costing him since his zig zagging is blatantly politically motivated. Walker didn't fight the court decision on gay marriage in WI, but is now advocating a constitutional amendment. His kids are adamantly opposed to his views on marriage equality and his wife is very close to her lesbian cousin. Walker's toast if he doesn't win Iowa and there are bigger true believers (Huck, Santorum, Cruz, Jindal) in the field.

If he gains traction, flip flopping will be used against him. He was pretty clear about his earlier financial support for the Bucks arena. Being an awkward dorky bastard isn't going to help either.

Remind you of anyone on the Dem side?

kind of shocked by the excitement/confidence in Rubio. I've followed him since his days in the FL house and actually went to his first senate fundraiser in Tallahassee (gifted an invite + free booze).

I don't think he has any shot at the nomination and is making a huge mistake if he sticks around long enough to give up his senate seat. Maybe the plan is to gain recognition, go after the FL governor in '18 and POTUS in '20?

I heard Adam Putnam was the top GOP candidate for FL governor in 2018. I would have greatly preferred him over Scott.

kind of shocked by the excitement/confidence in Rubio. I've followed him since his days in the FL house and actually went to his first senate fundraiser in Tallahassee (gifted an invite + free booze).

I don't think he has any shot at the nomination and is making a huge mistake if he sticks around long enough to give up his senate seat. Maybe the plan is to gain recognition, go after the FL governor in '18 and POTUS in '20?

I do think it is probably a bit early for Rubio. But I think he will be very much in play for the VP.

Can Rubio run for the nomination and his senate seat at the same time or does FL prohibit that?

Conservatives claim to abhor identity politics, but they still play them just rather poorly. Dem women who supported Hillary were never going to vote for Palin. Obama thumped Alan Keyes and Herman Cain was never going to beat him. Harriet Miers wasn't a great legal scholar. Fiorina's a failed CEO who couldn't beat Barbara Boxer.

If the GOP wants something even remotely close to parity with Dems among Latinos, Rubio or Cruz aren't the answer. Cubans' immigration issues are significantly different than other Latinos' issues. Reject Trump in a very public manner and nominate Susana Martinez, a Latina border state Governor who can relate to the far mor Latinos than Cruz or Rubio.

Patrick Murphy or Alan Grayson (both Dem US Reps).

God help me if I have to vote for Hillary and Grayson.

Murphy is decent but not ready for prime time from what I've seen.

Back