• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Far be it for someone with a Fuckmouthed alias to bag on profanity, but Trump's demeanor last night was way more troubling than his cursing. Not even remotely presidential and he snapped multiple times after being cracked. Rubio screwed up last week, but he never lost it like Trump did.

Weird thing is that Jeb and Cruz hit him hard, they missed additional opportunities to go after him. Trump's weak on emminent domain and cracked on Jeb for what the Rangers did to build a new ball park. If Jeb were quick, he would have pointed out Trump's Dem sister's judicial rulings. Cruz should have gone after Trump on Planned Parenthood.

Rubio was a little hyper and uneasy early, but recovered. Trump realized he screwed up big time and immediately stalked off the stage at the end. Probably still wins SC, but much closer than expected. Never say never with Trump, but major problems if Cruz beats him in SC.

Comrade Carson: GOP candidate pulled fake Stalin ‘quote’ from right-wing Facebook meme

CbLdmIBVAAA3Rs7.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this article. When I was watching the debate I had my doubts about Trump's strategy...and said as much in a previous post. However, if there has been one constant in this wild GOP race it has been that Trump has always been one step ahead of his rivals in judging the mood of Republican voters....and this time may be no different than all the others. I guess we will know more after South Carolina votes next Saturday.

The fact is, though, that the GOP deliberately filled the auditorium with anti-Trump people for that debate in an increasingly desperate attempt to make Trump look bad before a national audience. The questions is whether Republican voters as a whole are more driven by their past fondness of the Bushes or by their anger of feeling betrayed by the GOP establishment. Certainly, it's hard to believe that GOP voters who hold anti-immigration views would be very supportive of George W Bush today.....and while they may be loathe to admit it publicly, there can't be many of them left who truly believe by now that Bush's decision to invade Iraq was the right thing to do. So, it took balls for Trump to come down hard on George W Bush in that debate....but I'm beginning to think that it was a calculated move, not a guy who was "out of control". It falls right into what voters have been attracted to Trump for all along....his willingness to "tell it like it is" and to take on the GOP establishment anywhere & everywhere. (And by the way, if he should get the nomination, his willingness to attack Bush & the Iraq War in South Carolina will only help him with Independent voters & Democratic voters who aren't enamored with Hillary Clinton, should she be the Democratic nominee.)

It seems to me that we should be long past the time to continue to write Trump off as a "crazy buffoon". It might even be time to paraphrase Marco Rubio instead:

"Let's end this fiction that Donald Trump doesn't know what he is doing. He knows exactly what he is doing."

And I am reminded of another quote I once heard somewhere....author unknown:

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American voter."

His record speaks for itself. Do you feel like Kasich is an advocate for reproductive justice? Should not be a partisan issue

He seems to like protecting female babies in the womb. So that's a positive. Tough to be pro women when you terminate millions of their lives before they exit the womb.

Stop with your rhetoric. It is embarrassing. Kasich doesn't hate women and he doesn't hate reproductive rights. He abhors abortion. That is a completely reasonable and non-sinister platform to stand upon.

Trump calling out the crowd was smart. Now that story has legs and it's more publicity for The Donald. He also set himself up to pick up independent votes in the national election by Bush bashing. Thinking ahead.

He seems to like protecting female babies in the womb. So that's a positive. Tough to be pro women when you terminate millions of their lives before they exit the womb.

Stop with your rhetoric. It is embarrassing. Kasich doesn't hate women and he doesn't hate reproductive rights. He abhors abortion. That is a completely reasonable and non-sinister platform to stand upon.

Maybe so, but it's not moderate.

Why not? Half the country is one one side and half is in the other. You assume the moderate position is the one you agree upon. The reality is there is no middle ground when you are arguing over government sanctioned elimination of Life.

My guess is that you believe a moderate position includes a platform that allows abortions. How 'moderate' of you to think so. Someone can be a political moderate and believe that killing a baby is wrong. Those two ideologies can coexist rather easily.

Why not? Half the country is one one side and half is in the other. You assume the moderate position is the one you agree upon. The reality is there is no middle ground when you are arguing over government sanctioned elimination of Life.

My guess is that you believe a moderate position includes a platform that allows abortions. How 'moderate' of you to think so. Someone can be a political moderate and believe that killing a baby is wrong. Those two ideologies can coexist rather easily.

I haven't looked into Kasich's positions on the issue, but I would think the moderate middle ground on abortion is pretty nuanced. For example, it's moderate to support allowing a woman to choose an abortion in the case of rape. I would consider it a moderate position to be against late term or partial birth abortions. Defunding Planned Parenthood is in no way a moderate position. That's extremism and sharply partisan. It's not as B&W for most voters as it is for you.

Latest CBS/You gov polling has Trump at 42, Cruz 20, Rubio 15. If this is even close to right, its lights out time for the Pub establishment.

I haven't looked into Kasich's positions on the issue, but I would think the moderate middle ground on abortion is pretty nuanced. For example, it's moderate to support allowing a woman to choose an abortion in the case of rape. I would consider it a moderate position to be against late term or partial birth abortions. Defunding Planned Parenthood is in no way a moderate position. That's extremism and sharply partisan. It's not as B&W for most voters as it is for you.

He allows the rape/incest provision. So by your own definition he is a moderate.

Back