• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Pretty much everything I've read is pointing to ^this

Howard
Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks Johnson
Bedoya Bradley Kljestan Pulisic
Altidore Wood

Pretty much everything I've read is pointing to ^this

Howard
Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks Johnson
Bedoya Bradley Kljestan Pulisic
Altidore Wood

If he follows his pattern from last summer, it will be a 4-3-3 with Wood and Pulisic supporting Altidore up front, although it looks very much like a 4-4-2 at times.

If he follows his pattern from last summer, it will be a 4-3-3 with Wood and Pulisic supporting Altidore up front, although it looks very much like a 4-4-2 at times.

agreed

Still think we should go with a flat back 3 with Fab and Yedlin as our wingbacks and just do away with wide midfielders altogether since we have no natural wingers

Not unless that's where he's being played. He plays wing for Dortmund, he plays wing for the US, so he's a wing until he's played elsewhere.
Cool. Rashford plays wing for United because Zlatan plays striker. That doesn't mean rashford is a winger. He's still a natural 9 just like PuliSICK is a natural 10.

Didn't Yedlin #2 against Cuba then like #9 against new Zealand. Not sure I understood that.

Cool. Rashford plays wing for United because Zlatan plays striker. That doesn't mean rashford is a winger. He's still a natural 9 just like PuliSICK is a natural 10.

I didn't say otherwise. And I didn't say Pulisic isn't a natural wing. He plays wing for his club and I like him being used where he's used to playing right now because he's comfortable there. Playing guys in a different position from where they play for clubs is something JK regularly, rightfully, gets criticized for. I'm simply pointing out that whatever his natural skillset or position, he's seeing all of his playing time and success at wing, so i think the US playing him there is smart and consistent and puts him in a position to succeed and us in a position to win.

Every time Pulisic has suited up for his club or country as a professional, he's been a winger. Every single time.

So I'm not sure what else you would call him. Moving him from #10 to the wing has seemed to improve his career greatly.

I'm having second thoughts about the lineup.

1) I think there's a reasonable chance he could put Chandler and Yedlin at outside backs. Chandler is playing very well. Why Chandler?

2) There's also a decent chance he wants to be able to put Johnson at outside midfield, rather than outside back. Stated differently, Chandler and Johnson is probably a more solid defensive tandem patrolling our left side than Johnson + whomever plays left mid (Pulisic, Bedoya).

2b) Somewhat related, there's also a non-zero chance he doesn't want Yedlin being undisciplined defensively when Chicarito is running around, and there's a universe where Chandler and Johnson start in the back for the same reason state above...it's more solid and reliable. Yedlin has been better of late for his club, but he is prone to lapses and tries to make it up with speed. Be nice to have that speed out there, but not the lapses.

3) Kljestan is dealing with a broken nose. I'm wondering how serious it is and whether it keeps him from being able to start and play a full 90. Does Jones start in the middle instead? Does he pull Bedoya inside (bad idea) and Pulisic on the other wing opposite of Johnson?

Little more than 48 hours to go. I'm anxious.

I'm having second thoughts about the lineup.

1) I think there's a reasonable chance he could put Chandler and Yedlin at outside backs. Chandler is playing very well. Why Chandler?

2) There's also a decent chance he wants to be able to put Johnson at outside midfield, rather than outside back. Stated differently, Chandler and Johnson is probably a more solid defensive tandem patrolling our left side than Johnson + whomever plays left mid (Pulisic, Bedoya).

2b) Somewhat related, there's also a non-zero chance he doesn't want Yedlin being undisciplined defensively when Chicarito is running around, and there's a universe where Chandler and Johnson start in the back for the same reason state above...it's more solid and reliable. Yedlin has been better of late for his club, but he is prone to lapses and tries to make it up with speed. Be nice to have that speed out there, but not the lapses.

3) Kljestan is dealing with a broken nose. I'm wondering how serious it is and whether it keeps him from being able to start and play a full 90. Does Jones start in the middle instead? Does he pull Bedoya inside (bad idea) and Pulisic on the other wing opposite of Johnson?

Little more than 48 hours to go. I'm anxious.

Chandler kicked off the last hex cycle at RB, doubt anyone has forgot how that went. He very well could get the start but I don't see it.

I do however thing there's a chance JK goes 4-2-3-1 with Wood getting benched for Jones

Chandler may be playing well in Germany but he needs to build confidence in a USA shirt before I would trust him to play against Mexico in a qualifier.

Chandler sucks donkey dick on the USMNT. He can come in as like a 87th minute sub to sure up a lead but it better be Yedlin back there. Start Bedoya on his side and have him cover for DeAndre when he gets forward.

Regardless, I'm getting super pumped for tomorrow. I land in Columbus in a little under 25 hours. LETS GOOOOOO!

maxresdefault.jpg

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2018 Thread (US v Mexico WCQ: 11/11/16 )

GAMEDAY FELLAS!

Your boy is EN ROUTE

Back