• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

The AO tailgate will have unlimited free food and beer. I'm down for anything and will bring my tailgate tent, some chairs, and liquor, but lets set up close to that free food and beer. Because free food and beer

When will the Hex roster be released?

I can't say that it's awesome to have many of our XI playing in a competitive MLS match the Sunday before one of our biggest matches of the year.

What's wrong with that? You realize that there will potentially be plenty of guys in Europe playing on Sunday too, right?

What's wrong with that? You realize that there will potentially be plenty of guys in Europe playing on Sunday too, right?

Yeah, I guess that was a pretty dumb comment. It's just seems like guys will be exerting more for playoff games, but you're right, everyone across the globe is playing on Saturday/Sunday.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the awards in the MLS skew towards the big names. Like how could Tim Howard be eligible for that award? He played in around a third of their league matches.

Giovinco seems like a glaring omission, but hard to argue with the 3.

Nice of Jack to get the mention for the "Jordan Morris Rookie of the Year" award.

16 year old Ben Lederman is now back at Barca. However, he had to obtain a Polish passport. We will see how this plays out.

Looks like no Geoff Cameron vs. Mexico.

Yedlin-Gonzalez-Brooks-Johnson appears to be locked in

Also, Mexico released their roster yesterday and its as strong as ever. Gonna be a dogfight

Looks like no Geoff Cameron vs. Mexico.

Yedlin-Gonzalez-Brooks-Johnson appears to be locked in

Also, Mexico released their roster yesterday and its as strong as ever. Gonna be a dogfight
That sucks. He's looked good for Stoke. You might argue that he's been the linchpin during their run of late as he's settled down the back four at DM.

JAB on the Premier League and Hertha Berlin's rise (there a link to the Kicker article, but you'll have to choose to translate it)

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...play-in-the-premier-league-but-not-yet-110216

Strange that what they took out of the article was his comments on maybe playing in the Premier League, when he said a lot of other very interesting things (far more interesting than that). They asked about his choice to play for the USA for example, and he straight up said that he did not know much about the US at first and that through the USMNT he's grown to learn about the culture and the country and that he's proud to play for the USA. That's a pretty interesting and powerful statement, way moreso than the PL stuff.

Also asked him about being compared to Jerome Boateng (something the German press does a lot due to his early age breaking in, his mixed background and the struggles with consistency that Boateng had early in his career), about playing against Messi ... bunch of interesting stuff. Kicker normally has pretty good interviews, this was one of them.

Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (9): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

No Wondo. It's a miracle.

Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (9): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

He was originally on the roster but was pulled due to injury. Same with Beckerman/Cameron

Morris pulled after 45 with a thigh injury

Beckerman wasn't making this roster. If Morris is out I'd like to see us maybe add Danny Williams. Maybe he thinks between Bradley/Jones that we're set at defensive midfield, but Jones is coming back from injury and we seem light in that spot. Heck, Green could always play up top if you had to, we have options at wing midfield...we seem thin at center mid.

Has Jozy ever scored a goal against Mexico in a meaningful match?

Nope, although his first international goal was against Mexico.

The question actually got me intrigued, so I looked up who has scored against Mexico in competitive matches since we made it back to the World Cup in 1990.

Geoff Cameron
Bobby Wood
Eddie Johnson
Landon Donovan 4
Michael Bradley 3
Charlie Davies
Benny Feilhaber
Steve Ralston
Josh Wolff
Earnie Stewart
Eddie Pope
Own Goal
DaMarcus Beasley
Eddie Lewis
Brian McBride
John Doyle
Peter Vermes

Stating the obvious but F. Johnson is almost certainly starting at left back where JK doesn't name any actual left backs. So Yedlin and Johnson as the outside backs and Brooks and either Besler or Gonzales in the middle?

I'd have to think it's Brooks and Gonzalez in the middle. Gonzalez has been starting and playing well in Mexico and paired well with Brooks in the past. Here's my guess at our 11 (I'm going with the Jones not fit enough to start scenario)

Howard
Yedlin Gonzalez Brooks Johnson
Bedoya Bradley Kljestan Pulisic
Altidore Wood

I could see Zusi instead of Pulisic and Bedoya on the left and Zusi on the right. I wouldn't do it, but he just seems to love Zusi.
I could see Jones for Kljestan

Back