• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Official Christian Pulisic / World Cup 2018 Thread (The fortress has cracks)

Panama has a tough road to finish the Hex--@Mexico, T&T, @USA, Costa Rica. Definitely want to be in a qualifying position before the last round to avoid the possibility of Costa Rica dumping three points to screw us on purpose (like we could have done to Mexico four years ago).

Would like to think we can get a result at T&T. I have less hope that will happen in Honduras--they'll schedule that one in San Pedro Sula at noon and most of our guys will melt in the heat.

Last edited:
If we beat Costa Rica it's really hard to see us not qualifying because we've already been through the two other toughest teams twice

If we beat Costa Rica it's really hard to see us not qualifying because we've already been through the two other toughest teams twice

Totally agree. That game is big. A loss hurts a lot. A tie puts pressure on our road games to get a win. Though I guess in many ways Panama is the biggest threat to actually advancing and a win against them is a huge swing in the standings.

Confederation Cup started today. Russia up 1-0 on New Zealand in what has been a fairly entertaining match so far.

How do we feel about this whole mailing it in on the Gold Cup roster thing? I get doing it when there's another competition like Copa America/Confed Cup in the summer, but it's harder to understand when this is the only thing going. Especially since this matters for qualifying for the next Confederations Cup.

How do we feel about this whole mailing it in on the Gold Cup roster thing? I get doing it when there's another competition like Copa America/Confed Cup in the summer, but it's harder to understand when this is the only thing going. Especially since this matters for qualifying for the next Confederations Cup.

The GC sucks. Use it as a developmental/cap tying event until it goes away and we get Copa in the non-WC even years.

It's no longer needed as a showcase for smaller countries since everyone qualifies for the WC starting in 2026.

USA and Mexico should just join the South American region and be done with it. I like the Gold Cup and hate so many changes are being done to make two countries happy.

I'm fine with it. Euro players needs a break. It's in our best interest and theirs. Hopefully we find out about a few younger/newer players.

I'm fine with it. Euro players needs a break. It's in our best interest and theirs. Hopefully we find out about a few younger/newer players.
This. I'm fine with a B/C team and it gives fringe guys a shot to impress. I can see a guy like Cristian Roldan working his way into the main pool this way.

1-1 between MEX-POR. Entertaining game with absolutely atrocious defending. Goals by Quaresma for Portugal and Chicharito for Mexico.

Arsenal and Chelski played May 27th, and the will restart the season August 6th. That's 9 weeks without cramming the GC and WC qualifying through out the year. MLS is still rolling, also. 23 and under sounds like a solid idea for the GC.

So FIFA to do a good thing and institute some video replay, yet not show viewers said replays while the review is going on

Re: Gold Cup, also worth keeping in mind that if we played an A team in this tournament, the last summer our big guys had off would've been 2013 (and we even technically had a Gold Cup that year but we experimented with the side). And they'll be busy next year. And probably in 2020 too as it's expected another CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Copa America will happen.

Having a Gold Cup every odd year is just a blatant money grab. Fine with having one, but if they're gonna be two we shouldn't send our A team to both

Back