• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Is the starting XI Belgium threw out there stronger than what we'll see from Germany on Sunday? I'm tempted to say yes

Belgium's A team is stronger in just about every position than Germany's B team. I'd take Podolski over De Bruyne and Bender over Defour, but the rest is all Belgian.

do you have the opta stats from last night?

USA - BEL

Shots (on target) *not including shots blocked*: 4(2) - 10 (7)
Corners: 5 - 4
Fouls: 4 - 10
Pass Accuracy: 86% - 87%
Possession: 49 - 51
Duels won: 41 - 27

Is the starting XI Belgium threw out there stronger than what we'll see from Germany on Sunday? I'm tempted to say yes

Podolski starts for Belgium, Bender too. Howedes probably gets in over Vermaelen. And there would be a case to be made for Draxler starting over Defour. I'd also take Adler over Mignolet.

But, overall, now that I'm looking at the side that Germany brought over here, there team isn't as strong as Belgium's was last night.

I was surprised that the stats were so close.

But my eyes last night saw a match that was one-sided. And match reports that I've read have only confirmed that. But the stats did go against me this time, admittedly.

Fair enough. Respect.

Our problems last night are fixable. That's what I'm taking out of it.

If we fail to create chances in any of the next 4 matches, winter is coming for JK and his ego battle with LD10.

Fair enough. Respect.

Our problems last night are fixable. That's what I'm taking out of it.

If we fail to create chances in any of the next 4 matches, winter is coming for JK and his ego battle with LD10.

If we fail to create chances in those matches we're starting to look seriously at how we matchup with New Zealand and hope we get the opportunity.

But I'm sure we'll bunker a nice result at Bosnia and it'll be seen by the apologists as further progress!

Ref gives us 2 key bullshit calls, we still lose 4-2. Not good.

To be fair, the Belgian players were the real losers here. They get a friendly in the U.S. and they play at a half empty stadium in a city so gross the river caught on fire.

The part I'm most upset about last night is leaving Jones and Dempsey in there for a full 90. What was gained by doing that? Give them a little rest in this meaningless game so they aren't burned out by Honduras. Of course, given last summer, I'm not confident in that happening.

Maybe he's just setting up starting Bradley and Holden in the MF vs. Germany :jerkit:

Brazilian newspaper Estado de S. Paulo reports a court order has suspended the Brazil v England friendly on Sunday. The Marcana is not ready apparently.

There is a World Cup to be played there in just over 12 months. Fun!

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus 7m
Brazil vs England has been 'suspended' for now by a court decision as the Maracanã is not safe for fans, is not capable of hosting events.

ETA:
Gary Duffy ‏@Duffygary
#Brazil Football Association says all safety requirements met and this information will be sent to judge showing suspension is wrong

Last edited:
Crazy ending in the Tijuana - Atletico Mineiro match. Tied 1-1 and 3-3 on aggregate in injury time, Tijuana draws a penalty. Keeper makes a ridiculous kick save on what was a pretty poor penalty. Atletico survives.

Doubt it.

We played pretty even with Belgium in the opening 45 minutes, and the goal we gave up was pretty weak. Belgium dominated the last 45 but I think Howard makes the save on Felanni's header if he's still in the match. Gonzo's freak touch on their 2nd goal can be corrected. Boyd's failed clearance on their 3rd can be corrected. Were they the better team? Yes, absolutely. Was the scoreline harsh? Yes, IMO it was.

Lets not forget we started Sacha Kljestan in the mid as well. Bradley being in there over SK automatically makes us 5x better. Johnson is added to the mid to bump out Brad Davis, that helps as well. Castillo over Beasley is another improvement. Also hope to see Besler over Goodson.

Last night sucked, but it answered some questions that needed answering:

1. Can Sacha contribute? No
2. Can Goodson and Gonzalez side by side work? No
3. Is Cameron our choice RB? No
4. Can older players with lack of NT experience contribute going forward (Davis, Evans)? No
5. Should MB4 play more forward and let JJ do the CDM destroyer work? Yes

With this logic Belgium could correct the two things we did well and win 2-0. With similar logic we could have lost 10-0.

Back