• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

We were missing Johnson, Bradley, and Donovan vs. one of the more talented teams in the world. No need to panic, IMO. We will be fine.

I'd love to see us run out a 4-4-2 on Sunday, just to see what happens. Start Dempsey on the left, Zusi on the right, and either Boyd or EJ up top with JOZY! Why not.

Just feel like we haven't put together "the lineup" since Jurgen's been here. Doesn't seem like he knows what he has.

It was a friendly.

That said, Beasley looked like our best player tonight. I think he's locked down the LB spot with Fabian at LM. Or switch them around, either way, I like that side.

Nice to see Belgium finally start to put their pieces together. They've got more talent than all but 3 teams in the world.

Last edited:
That said, Beasley looked like our best player tonight. I think he's locked down the LB spot with Fabian at LM. Or switch them around, either way, I like that side.

I could get down with this. Lord knows we need width, and if Fab at LM can give it to us, I'm good with it. But keeping Fab at left back, even as he does well in the midfield in the Bundesliga, seems to me like a very Jurgen thing to do.

I hate to admit it, but we need Timmy Chandler to stop being a vagina and suit up at RB.

I could get down with this. Lord knows we need width, and if Fab at LM can give it to us, I'm good with it. But keeping Fab at left back, even as he does well in the midfield in the Bundesliga, seems to me like a very Jurgen thing to do.

I hate to admit it, but we need Timmy Chandler to stop being a vagina and suit up at RB.

Fab has played way more LB for club than LM. That said he and Beasley are both natural LM. I do love the idea of them overlapping all match against CAmerican teams. They provide a ton of aggressive attacking.

I want to see what they look like playing together first against Germany before a qualifier. Half with them, then get Castillo in the mix too.

I actually thought we looked pretty damn good for what we were fielding and what we are up against

hahaha, the score should have been worse. We were fucking overrun. Jones and Kleijstan were both found wanting tonight. Embarrassing performance by both of them, IMO. Just embarrassing. Benteke's 2nd, and the time Defour had to make that easy pass, was all the evidence you need to see that they are fucking clowns at this level.

This is officially an ass whoop. Would love to see Belgium make a big run in the next World Cup.

You might not get your wish next summer, but you will see them go very deep in 2016 and/or 2018.

We were missing Johnson, Bradley, and Donovan vs. one of the more talented teams in the world. No need to panic, IMO. We will be fine.

Donovan by choice by the manager. So... yeah.

Bradley, I give you because we got so overrun in the midfield and he would have surely helped that.

Johnson? Everyone realizes this kid isn't a proven commodity yet, right? Not only that, but it wasn't our flanks that got abused tonight, but Belgium just jammed it straight down our throats.

It was a friendly.

Nice to see Belgium finally start to put their pieces together. They've got more talent than all but 3 teams in the world.

Belgium are undefeated in the WCQ group. The pieces have been coming together for them for months.

Oh, and Germany is still better. Sunday should be fun.

From what I saw last night, Germany is going to run a train on us Saturday.

Belgium is really good, though. Put Hazard on the field with that group and wow.

Sadly, FIFA awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup has done nothing to secure fair play and fair working conditions. Workers in Qatar face abuses of their human and trade union rights on a daily basis…
The average construction worker in Qatar toils for up to 15 hours, 6 days a week for just $8 a day. Up to a million extra workers will need to be recruited to build the stadiums and other facilities needed for the World Cup, yet there are no laws or grievance procedures to protect them.

From what I saw last night, Germany is going to run a train on us Saturday.

Belgium is really good, though. Put Hazard on the field with that group and wow.

Doubt it.

We played pretty even with Belgium in the opening 45 minutes, and the goal we gave up was pretty weak. Belgium dominated the last 45 but I think Howard makes the save on Felanni's header if he's still in the match. Gonzo's freak touch on their 2nd goal can be corrected. Boyd's failed clearance on their 3rd can be corrected. Were they the better team? Yes, absolutely. Was the scoreline harsh? Yes, IMO it was.

Lets not forget we started Sacha Kljestan in the mid as well. Bradley being in there over SK automatically makes us 5x better. Johnson is added to the mid to bump out Brad Davis, that helps as well. Castillo over Beasley is another improvement. Also hope to see Besler over Goodson.

Last night sucked, but it answered some questions that needed answering:

1. Can Sacha contribute? No
2. Can Goodson and Gonzalez side by side work? No
3. Is Cameron our choice RB? No
4. Can older players with lack of NT experience contribute going forward (Davis, Evans)? No
5. Should MB4 play more forward and let JJ do the CDM destroyer work? Yes

Reactions: ONW
That scoreline was not harsh. Belgium abused us. Take off the RW&B glasses....

If anything, the scoreline flattered us a little bit. We got a bullshit penalty called in our favor, and a clear penalty wasn't called when DMB handled in the box. The US basically created nothing outside of set pieces and the penalty kick.

We got abused.

That scoreline was not harsh. Belgium abused us. Take off the RW&B glasses....

If anything, the scoreline flattered us a little bit. We got a bullshit penalty called in our favor, and a clear penalty wasn't called when DMB handled in the box. The US basically created nothing outside of set pieces and the penalty kick.

We got abused.

do you have the opta stats from last night?

Is the starting XI Belgium threw out there stronger than what we'll see from Germany on Sunday? I'm tempted to say yes

Back