• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

rex chapman - Worst Final Four announcers ever

Uh, ok sure. Large big screen, looking at the center of the screen where the game is being played, while typing on the computer in this forum. Yeah, real obvious.
jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Hey people confused by the homer broadcasts, Charles Barkley says you're an idiot:

Not saying I agree, but I agree with him.

Of the board posters that were confused by this (rj, socal and 83), 83 has to be the biggest idiot because he doubled down later in the thread.

jke7anmrjpizrncjjdn2.jpg

I wasn't confused by it, but I had to DVR the games and unwittingly recorded the homer broadcasts of Kentucky and Florida. So I had no option to change the channel to TBS.

Really this was an awful idea. Obviously the majority of the audience who are not fans of these particular teams have no interest in hearing the homer announcers. And if I was a fan of a Final Four team, I'd still rather hear the game called by the big-time announcers than the local guys that I can listen to 30 times a year.

Last edited:
The Final Four’s television viewership is down after its move to cable.

The two NCAA semifinals Saturday averaged a total of 14 million viewers, an 11 percent decrease from last year’s games on CBS. That number included viewers of the main coverage on TBS along with the school-specific “TeamCasts” on TNT and truTV. Turner Sports and CBS did not receive network-by-network ratings breakdowns from Nielsen.

TBS is in about 14 percent fewer homes than CBS.

Kentucky’s victory against Wisconsin averaged 16.3 million viewers, down 5 percent from last year’s Michigan-Syracuse game. The 11.7 million viewers for UConn’s 63-53 victory against Florida were down 19 percent from Louisville-Wichita State in the early game last year.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ose-to-hiring.html#.U0K0S_ldWgY#storylink=cpy

I did say on the Final Four game thread that this was bad for those that DVR'd it. If CBS had carried Saturday's games, it would have cut down on some confusion, as most people naturally would have gone there for the main feed. Clearly marking the descriptions on TNT and Tru in the on-screen channel guide would have helped also. Golf Channel does a good job of this when they have bonus coverage of live PGA events going head to head against CBS or NBC's coverage.

For the live viewer, it was pretty obvious what was going on as you can tell from the screen shot above. 1) Teamcast on the bottom of the screen in between score & time. 2) Note above the score that it is airing on TBS. 3) That graphic in the upper right corner. 83's "large big screen" obviously isn't large enough, or big enough...not sure which.

Only down 11 from CBS? That's a win for cable.

Only down 11 from CBS? That's a win for cable.

Maybe, but you have to figure they outbid CBS for the games. Based on viewership, they probably won't be able to charge as much for ad space next year. However, if an advertiser wants to make a splash in this time frame, the Final Four is the only thing going. I'm sure the NCAA cares about the money first and foremost, but viewership is important and a drop of 5 million viewers is not what they're looking for.

Kentucky game only down 5%. They've gotta be thrilled with that number.

Barkley is the best. If he was doing soccer or baseball I'd start watching.

Maybe, but you have to figure they outbid CBS for the games. Based on viewership, they probably won't be able to charge as much for ad space next year. However, if an advertiser wants to make a splash in this time frame, the Final Four is the only thing going. I'm sure the NCAA cares about the money first and foremost, but viewership is important and a drop of 5 million viewers is not what they're looking for.

Outbid CBS? They bid WITH CBS for the rights to the tournament. The NCAA didn't go to both CBS and TBS and say "okay, one of you gets to broadcast the 2014 Final Four games, give me your bids right now and the highest number gets that year".

CBS was going to lose the tournament to ESPN unless they found a cable partner to go in with, that's how the CBS/Turner Sports marriage happened. They aren't bidding against each other for the rights to the Final Four/Championship games each year, there is a set rotation, and Turner Sports took advantage of a contracted right to air the Final Four on TBS this year.

Outbid CBS? They bid WITH CBS for the rights to the tournament. The NCAA didn't go to both CBS and TBS and say "okay, one of you gets to broadcast the 2014 Final Four games, give me your bids right now and the highest number gets that year".

CBS was going to lose the tournament to ESPN unless they found a cable partner to go in with, that's how the CBS/Turner Sports marriage happened. They aren't bidding against each other for the rights to the Final Four/Championship games each year, there is a set rotation, and Turner Sports took advantage of a contracted right to air the Final Four on TBS this year.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why it was on cable channels.

Back