• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Gene Wilder

This should probably go in the unpopular opinions thread but I don't find Mel Brooks movies particularly funny. I think they are all enjoyable films but don't laugh out loud or anything. Probably a generational thing, I crack up at Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore etc.

Yeah, Adam Sandler is way funnier than Mel Brooks.

This should probably go in the unpopular opinions thread but I don't find Mel Brooks movies particularly funny. I think they are all enjoyable films but don't laugh out loud or anything. Probably a generational thing, I crack up at Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore etc.

I just... I can't even...

I'm guessing neither Adam Sandler or anyone in the Farley family agrees with you.

55852181.jpg

i'd never say mel Brooks is unfunny or that adam sandler is better (lolz) but I'm not super into Mel's movies. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are great and Spaceballs is fun but the humor/style is definitely of its time. :noidea:

Great art is timeless. Nothing Adam Sandler or Chris Farley has done is timeless. Happy Gilmore is a cute movie. Nothing else he did will be remembered at all. in another 10-20 years,only old farts who grew up with Farley will even remember him.

i'd never say mel Brooks is unfunny or that adam sandler is better (lolz) but I'm not super into Mel's movies. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are great and Spaceballs is fun but the humor/style is definitely of its time. :noidea:

what are the odds of you disagreeing.

His work is funny and helped develop movie comedy. There's nothing that Sandler or Farley did that changed or expanded film comedy. It can argued that Farley is simply trying to be John Belushi. It's ludicrous to try to compare the comedy chops of Sandler or Farley to Brooks.

His work is funny and helped develop movie comedy. There's nothing that Sandler or Farley did that changed or expanded film comedy. It can argued that Farley is simply trying to be John Belushi. It's ludicrous to try to compare the comedy chops of Sandler or Farley to Brooks.

i dunno, Adam Sandler is a pretty successful guy for having no impact on comedy

Being successful doesn't mean being good. Making money also doesn't have anything to do with having a long-term impact.

Adam Sandler has a net worth of $300M. Meryl Streep is worth $45M. He must be 600% better as an actor.

Adam Sandler is supposed to be a great guy. He's been quite successful, but he'll be an asterisk in movie history at best.

Being successful doesn't mean being good. Making money also doesn't have anything to do with having a long-term impact.

Adam Sandler has a net worth of $300M. Meryl Streep is worth $45M. He must be 600% better as an actor.

Adam Sandler is supposed to be a great guy. He's been quite successful, but he'll be an asterisk in movie history at best.

I think you're wrong about that

In a few years, another comic will be the new guy. Sandler will be out.

I like some of his movies, but there is nothing that he has done that is comedy changing. He is a top level B movie guy and is often funny, but that's it.

In a few years, another comic will be the new guy. Sandler will be out.

I like some of his movies, but there is nothing that he has done that is comedy changing. He is a top level B movie guy and is often funny, but that's it.

Despite the #narrative, people don't fail upward

Mel Brooks is kinda in the same category as Monty Python is for me - some of Mel's stuff is brilliant and some so-so. Spaceballs and History of the World are mostly meh with a few chuckles. But Young Frankenstein was really good, and Blazing Saddles is 1 of the funniest movies ever, even if they had no idea how to end it.

And FWIW, Adam Sandler is unwatchable.

Back