• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Gene Wilder

To be fair to RJ, Adam Sandler's "success" is difficult to comprehend since his movies have been dogshit for the past decade, but you can't deny Sandler's popularity and subsequent financial success.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Say what you want about Sandler, but he's got staying power.

To be fair to RJ, Adam Sandler's "success" is difficult to comprehend since his movies have been dogshit for the past decade, but you can't deny Sandler's popularity and subsequent financial success.

so, it's pretty easy to comprehend, then.

I've NEVER said he wasn't a financial success. What I've said is that he has not done anything to forward or change comedy or be remembered as a comedy legend.

Thinking about it, I did sort of like Funny People, but it was overlong by about 45 minutes.

I've NEVER said he wasn't a financial success. What I've said is that he has not done anything to forward or change comedy or be remembered as a comedy legend.

you have no basis for that comment whatsoever

Adam Sandler is certainly no Dick Martin!

You are so right. Laugh-In gave the world of comedy people like Lorne Micheals, Goldie Hawn. Lily Tomlin, Arte Johnson. Henry Gibson and more. Several of its writers went on to create many successful TV shows. The show was so popular that superstars lined up to be on it.

In reality, without Laugh-In, it's likely there is no Adam Sandler as who knows if Lorne Michaels ever gets the chance to create SNL.

Last edited:
the last thing I'll say on this issue is that RJ is wrong.

35ic36w.jpg

you have no basis for that comment whatsoever

Yes, I do. Comedy legends are revered in their times. In real time, people understand how a Charlie Chaplin or Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock or Richard Pryor or George Carlin or Robin Williams are legends and how they have contributed to the art. This is not the case with Sandler.

You can hem and haw all you like but you can't compare him to people like them.

I fell for the RKarl post hook, line, and sinker.

RIP, Mr. Wilder. I will always have a soft spot for him due to Wonka, Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles, but his output was rather limited other than that. Even his movies with Pryor kind of sucked, even though they were a good match onscreen. At least he's with Gilda now.

I fell for the RKarl post hook, line, and sinker.

RIP, Mr. Wilder. I will always have a soft spot for him due to Wonka, Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles, but his output was rather limited other than that. Even his movies with Pryor kind of sucked, even though they were a good match onscreen. At least he's with Gilda now.[/QUOTE]

But he remarried and has been married for 25 years. Going to be awkward...

That just reminded me of some of the good ones -- Wedding Singer, great movie. Chuck and Larry, not terrible. Big Daddy, pretty good. 50 first dates, not bad at all.
50 First Dates is probably my favorite rom-com.

Back