• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS)

Just got back. The first half of the movie was really slow, but I enjoyed the second half quite a bit.

Didn't have issue with the character CGI at all, it was well done.

I don't get why Vader didn't pull Leia's ship back with the force. Seems like an easy plan.

You can't just pull massive objects with the force. Remember how hard it was for yoda to pull Luke's xwing out of the dagobah swamp. Why the devastator didn't use its tractor beam is another question entirely. Must have all been too quick

Finally saw this (in a badass Dolby Experience theater no less) and was really impressed. Avoided the hype and spoilers heading in so I didn't have a lot of preconceived notions other than knowing it didn't suck.

Thought the ending was phenomenal, but not sure I get why a great ending means a slowish start is somehow a bad thing. I thought the pacing was excellent overall. The disjointed and flawed Rebellion/Alliance stuff seemed far more genuine than any previous movie dared to show.

Been a while since I've enjoyed a movie that much - probably Guardians of the Galaxy... Thought it was much better than the Force Awakens (which wasn't bad).

You can't just pull massive objects with the force. Remember how hard it was for yoda to pull Luke's xwing out of the dagobah swamp. Why the devastator didn't use its tractor beam is another question entirely. Must have all been too quick

Finally saw this (in a badass Dolby Experience theater no less) and was really impressed. Avoided the hype and spoilers heading in so I didn't have a lot of preconceived notions other than knowing it didn't suck.

Thought the ending was phenomenal, but not sure I get why a great ending means a slowish start is somehow a bad thing. I thought the pacing was excellent overall. The disjointed and flawed Rebellion/Alliance stuff seemed far more genuine than any previous movie dared to show.

Been a while since I've enjoyed a movie that much - probably Guardians of the Galaxy... Thought it was much better than the Force Awakens (which wasn't bad).

How was the dolby experience thing -- I wanted to to watch it in a dolby experience theater but ended up going to a shitty theater instead. Agree with your take on the movie as well -- the ending was as intense as anything I've ever seen in a movie, which is amazing considering we knew how it ended. CGI characters were bad at first, but got used to it with Tarkin. I did think technology had moved beyond where it was, for some reason.

How was the dolby experience thing -- I wanted to to watch it in a dolby experience theater but ended up going to a shitty theater instead. Agree with your take on the movie as well -- the ending was as intense as anything I've ever seen in a movie, which is amazing considering we knew how it ended. CGI characters were bad at first, but got used to it with Tarkin. I did think technology had moved beyond where it was, for some reason.

It was solid. Tons of speakers and the explosions literally rock your seat. They run 2 projectors together to make the picture much sharper, better contrast, etc. More like watching a giant HD plasma screen than the typical movie look. The recliners that actually recline were a nice touch. Best difference was the sound though.

So always wondered what determines canon in these situations

Disney established that only the films and Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are canon.

Disney established that only the films and Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are canon.

Yeah, when Disney bought the rights, they wiped out years of novels and comics (IIRC) that were considered canon by Lucasarts. Some of the novels were really good.

Yeah, when Disney bought the rights, they wiped out years of novels and comics (IIRC) that were considered canon by Lucasarts. Some of the novels were really good.

Most significantly, the Thrawn trilogy, which I think were the old parts 7-9. While it's fun to see the action on-screen, so far it's Old Canon 1 New Canon 0 as Heir to the Empire was, for my taste, a much better story than TFA.

Took my 8 year old daughter to see it today. We both really enjoyed it, and it was great when she finally realized how everything was tying in to the beginning of Episode IV. Vader wrecking shit at the end was, of course, badass, as was the look on Krennec's face when he sees that the Death Star has appeared on the horizon.

I didn't mind the CGI with either Tarkin or Leia (and my daughter went nuts when young Leia appeared on screen).

On a related note, she also freaked out when she saw the trailer for Guardians Vol. 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most significantly, the Thrawn trilogy, which I think were the old parts 7-9. While it's fun to see the action on-screen, so far it's Old Canon 1 New Canon 0 as Heir to the Empire was, for my taste, a much better story than TFA.

Thrawn is in Season 3 of Rebels which takes place s few years before Rogue One.

Not cannon, but establishes the possibility that the force can move a massive starship.

If yoda couldn't do it, i kinda doubt a random trainee could do. Sounds like wish fulfillment and exaggeration.

You fucking love your star wars rebels. Geez.

Very true. My poor childhood ruined.

Yes sir. So good. And Young Jedi stuff.

Yoda didn't struggle pulling the x-wing out of the swamp. He said "size matters not" when Luke said moving stones was different than moving the ship.

However, being able to move objects that size makes the Jedi and Sith ridiculously over powered so hopefully they never push the extremes like they did in that force unleashed video game.

Star Wars Rebels is the only other canon that takes place between Eps III and IV. It provides context for Rogue One.

Someone mourning the loss of Thrawn from the old canon would probably want to know he's in the new canon as well.

I've said it before but I'd maybe be more inclined to watch Rebels if the animation was better. I watch the occasional clip online to try again and nope. Also, they made it pretty clear the only Jedi left are Yoda and Obi Wan but this show seems to be like well actually there's another you haven't heard of.

Last edited:
Back