• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney backs increased military spending

This speech and this thread prove that a lot of people act like they're for cutting spending, but really only one person in this race is. The rest are just for cutting the spending they don't like and replacing it with the spending they do.

There is only one principled, unwavering champion of liberty; only one person grounded in true morality who understands the connection of morality to prosperity, although they all blabber about their great "compassion". I can't wait to get richer so I can better suppport this one person. God save the hard working "rich" people of America so they can selflessly, voluntarily continue to bear the burden of the failed prodigies and the poor, misguided redistributionists. God save Freedom!

Haters. The defense industry pays big bucks to employees. Building ships brings in serious coin to union workers. I'm surprise Obama hasn't glommed onto this strategerization.

This speech and this thread prove that a lot of people act like they're for cutting spending, but really only one person in this race is. The rest are just for cutting the spending they don't like and replacing it with the spending they do.
I believe Romney is still for cutting spending from current levels, he just doesn't want to cut as much as Obama has projected down the road. If I understand correctly, he wants to establish a floor in defense spending cuts, a metric determined by % GDP or % budget, which I think needs to be determined. Is there something wrong with that???? I don't think so. Is that hypocritical??? No.

The fact few even get his point, on either side, is scary to me.

So he wants to outspend Obama.

I believe Romney is still for cutting spending from current levels, he just doesn't want to cut as much as Obama has projected down the road. If I understand correctly, he wants to establish a floor in defense spending cuts, a metric determined by % GDP or % budget, which I think needs to be determined. Is there something wrong with that???? I don't think so. Is that hypocritical??? No.

The fact few even get his point, on either side, is scary to me.

What a cop out. Like I said, he's for cutting the spending the other guys favor, and for spending more on what he wants to spend on.

I think establishing a floor is a bad idea, as it basically sets a minimum amount that you MUST spend on defense, regardless of how sensible it is to do so.

China say hi, dingus.

I see it as inevitable that China will eventually have a stronger military than us. I really don't think we can avoid it. If we try to keep them from ever becoming dominant, we will bankrupt ourselves. We should just prepare for a world where we are a powerful, influential force in every part of the globe, but China is stronger. Russia did fine with this transition, and we should too. It's not like Russia is lacking influence all over the world.

Good. Our fleet hasn't been overhauled since Reagan. And it would actually create real jobs that exist in the real world as opposed to green jobs that don't really exist and won't for decades.

Wouldn't this be government creating jobs, which right wingers say is impossible?

the military is a tool the same as a corps of diplomats, not a necessary evil. to think otherwise is fucking fantasy

Yes. Let's deconstruct our military because Russia and China are obviously no threat to our national interests. We could reinvest the money in tamborines.

Nobody has said we should deconstruct our military. What smart people are saying is that any plans to increase military spending because of some perceived threat from the current commies or the former commies, is not necessary.

Nobody has said we should deconstruct our military. What smart people are saying is that any plans to increase military spending because of some perceived threat from the current commies or the former commies, is not necessary.

I think some people here are suggesting that. Not yourself. And I am the first to point out that we could save billions in the defense budget with better oversight and planning. But I would like to get more with the same because I think Kissenger would agree with me when I say the US military strength lends stability to the world, not the other way around.

Back