• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's VP Pick: process of elimination = Portman

He does not deliver Ohio. There have been multiple polls that show he adds 1 pointy at most.

The reality is Romney's "let GM die" and "the bailout will be a failure" dooms him in Ohio.

I don't know if he would deliver Ohio either.

Romney's position on the GM bailout is the #1 issue in OH. You can dance around it delusionally all you like, but the people of OH know where he stood and that they would have lost lots of jobs had Romney's advice been followed.

Other than MI, there is no state where there is a defined a difference as there is in OH.

Romney's position on the GM bailout is the #1 issue in OH. You can dance around it delusionally all you like, but the people of OH know where he stood and that they would have lost lots of jobs had Romney's advice been followed.

Other than MI, there is no state where there is a defined a difference as there is in OH.

You're right about this... If Obama and co. play up the Pubs role in the ushering in of the postindustrial-era, then Romney will have trouble in the Rust Belt.

The only way to find out if Portman delivers Ohio is for him to be on the ticket, so it's a wait and see. I strongly believe Ohio moves into Romney's column w/Portman on ticket.

Romney's position on the auto bailout, and the general perceptions or misperceptions certainly will be a factor in Ohio, and Romney has to clearly articulate a response to that issue. I think he's better off hitting it headon and be clear what his position was even if it's not exactly what Rust Belt voters want to hear. People tend to respect honest differences in opinion if they hear them explained.

Ohio is a diverse state which makes it the microcosm of the electorate. I don't think one issue will lose or win Ohio.

I don't know the whole geography, but coal overlaps some in the Rust Belt states, and the Obama administration's attack on coal will not help him with those voters which may offset the union vote to an extent. Not sure.

The only thing I'm certain of is Portman delivers Ohio to Romney if on the ticket.

There are no misconceptions. Even Bain had been asked to put up private money. They said no.

Here are his exact words about what would happen after a government bailout,""Its demise will be virtually guaranteed."

Now he's telling the ultimate lie that the GM was his plan and deserves credit for it.

I don't remember any presidential candidate telling such and outrageous and obvious lie.

Romney is not going to carry Ohio.....no matter who is on the ticket with him. And no Republican has ever won the presidency without carrying Ohio......ever.

So that's it then. Let's save a lot of time, money, and irritation and just call this thing for Obama now. Not that it will make one bit of difference either way. Neither Obama nor Romney have the political balls to do what needs to be done.

So that's it then. Let's save a lot of time, money, and irritation and just call this thing for Obama now. Not that it will make one bit of difference either way. Neither Obama nor Romney have the political balls to do what needs to be done.

Obama tried to make much deeper cuts, but the GOP refused to let him.

The reality of VP choice is that since LBJ no VP choice has led to a victory in any state the winner wouldn't have won anyway. Palin may have cost McCain IN and NC, but no one has won any states in over fifty years.

Romney is not going to carry Ohio.....no matter who is on the ticket with him. And no Republican has ever won the presidency without carrying Ohio......ever.

BKF, you may be the only Dem in the US that isn't worried about Obama's reelection chances.

Is it the truth? Didn't Obama put forth a $4T "grand bargain"? Wasn't it originally agreed to by Boehner only to be stopped by Cantor and McConnell?

BKF, you may be the only Dem in the US that isn't worried about Obama's reelection chances.

Almost everyone thinks Obama will will. You are a in small minority that truly believes Romney will win.

Almost everyone thinks Obama will will. You are a in small minority that truly believes Romney will win.

wow RJ you really lead a sheltered life. I was with 15 adults in Western NC last night, and the only discussion was how big the Romney win will be. Hope you aren't counting on NC.

RJ is right about that. Obama at least tried to reach some common ground. It was never going to be as much as the Republicans would want...but at least it was something. The Republicans, on the other hand, have wanted 100% of their position ever since Bush stole the 2000 election.

The real problem, though, to which I was alluding, is that the problem isn't really the fault of the politicians. They are only giving the people what they want. The problem lies with the greedy American people. If a politician...from either party...ran for office on a platform of what really needed to be done to fix the problems we have....which are by now very serious....the voters would destroy him. We are simply getting the government that the people evidently want, in spite of their constant protestations....at least that's the way the keep voting. You can't expect a politician to commit political suicide by going against that tide. The people are the ones to blame....not the politicians.

Well now the thread has completely disintegrated, let me contribute. BKF, when are you going to get over the 2000 election? Face up to this fact: IF former Tennessee Senator Al Gore Jr. had won his HOME STATE of TENNESSEE, he didn't need Florida to win the election. At some point you have to let it go and realize you guys had a bad candidate running a bad campaign and he got his electoral lock picked.

Given your politics, my guess is at least 10-12 of them voted for McCain.

Obama could lose NC, IN, FL and still have 300 EVs.

How many points will you give me?

Given your politics, my guess is at least 10-12 of them voted for McCain.

Obama could lose NC, IN, FL and still have 300 EVs.

How many points will you give me?

I've already told you. You can have Obama plus 3

Shocked, shocked am I that ncsportsnut would start a thread about how (in his mind) the President is certain to lose. And even more shocked am I that he hangs out with nutjob righties that think the same way he does. And most shocked of all am I that they live in western fucking NC.

Rob Portman- the guy who helped W turn a 5T suprlus into $1.4T deficits...Yep that's a good choice.

Right because the collapse of the housing market as a result of eased lending requirements had nothing to do with the economic downturn which led to this change.

Back