• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman meets the media.

It's more like when your Mom says you were good at stuff then turns around and stabs you in the back and talks crap about you.

That's a pretty crappy Mom.

Wellman extended Dino and his buyout went from 300k to over 800k. I don't know how many years we had/have to pay it.

Anybody have a list of ACC coaches with 3 straight losing seasons and how they fared?

That may be a good starting point. I can look it up in a few hours or so.

[ADTalkingPoints]K and Crean (not ACC, I know), duhhhh.[/ADTalkingPoints]

I do not believe it will be a six year extension, but an extension is inevitable at this point. I think it will be somewhat closer to three years with a mentioning towards it being needed for recruiting.

an extension will feel almost like a breakup. like something (our idea of Wake Forest Basketball) being taken away and being powerless to change it.

It appears that the plan is also to change the "culture" of our fanbase. Alienate everyone who actually cares to the point that the only fans left are those who worship Wellman's every word and deed.

I do not believe it will be a six year extension, but an extension is inevitable at this point. I think it will be somewhat closer to three years with a mentioning towards it being needed for recruiting.

tumblr_ll8nueUxSH1qd3vdn.jpg

I have to admit, landing Black and Giles would make the extension more palatable

I have to admit, landing Black and Giles would make the extension more palatable

Why? Any decent coach can land some recruits at Wake. Hell, you don't even have to be a decent coach if [Redacted] is able to land those guys.

[ADTalkingPoints]K and Crean (not ACC, I know), duhhhh.[/ADTalkingPoints]

Wrong. Coach K was 33 when he was hired and his FIRST year at Duke ended with a 17-13 record. They made the post season and played 3 games in the NIT Coach K's FIRST year at Duke. Coach K has NEVER had three consecutive lossing seasons much less six.

And Tom Crean had NEVER had a losing season prior to taking over Indiana's sanction destroyed program. In fact, in eight years as a head coach prior to Indiana, his teams got post-season bids 7 out of 8 years. Indiana hired a proven winner who was 42 years old at the time.

There is NO basis for comparing Jeff [Redacted] to these successful coaches.

Last edited:
We all may as well bend over, pull our pants down, and grease up because Ronnie Wellman isn't bringing any lube.

Why? Any decent coach can land some recruits at Wake. Hell, you don't even have to be a decent coach if [Redacted] is able to land those guys.

This. Just because you can recruit doesn't mean you are capable of coaching those recruits, and Bzzz has proven that in spades.

Any extension will be nothing more than Wellman thumbing his nose at the fans & donors and pulling a Roy Williams by saying, "I don't give a shit about (you)".

This. Just because you can recruit doesn't mean you are capable of coaching those recruits, and Bzzz has proven that in spades.

Any extension will be nothing more than Wellman thumbing his nose at the fans & donors and pulling a Roy Williams by saying, "I don't give a shit about (you)".

When I was asking around about an extension last week (after I heard the rumor) I got one response that I thought was pretty funny (in an infuriating sort of way).

Paraphrased: "No, I haven't heard of that happening, but it wouldn't really shock me. Ron Wellman is a vindictive man."

Wrong. Coach K was 33 when he was hired and his FIRST year at Duke ended with a 17-13 record. They made the post season and played 3 games in the NIT Coach K's FIRST year at Duke. Coach K has NEVER had three consecutive lossing seasons much less six.

And Tom Crean had NEVER had a losing season prior to taking over Indiana's sanction destroyed program. In fact, in eight years as a head coach prior to Indiana, his teams got post-season bids 7 out of 8 years. Indiana hired a proven winner who was 42 years old at the time.

There is NO basis for comparing Jeff [Redacted] to these successful coaches.

plus, Indiana was destroyed because of what a previous coach did, Crean had to pick up the pieces and use the hand he was dealt, which wasn't great. now they're as good as ever. Wake is in shambles because of what our CURRENT coach did, not previous.

When I was asking around about an extension last week (after I heard the rumor) I got one response that I thought was pretty funny (in an infuriating sort of way).

Paraphrased: "No, I haven't heard of that happening, but it wouldn't really shock me. Ron Wellman is a vindictive man."

writing_process.gif

I've never understood why this board takes so many things Wellman says at face value, ...

Agreed. The man is a liar. I miss the days when Wake's "culture" was based on integrity.

Hell NO! They would just be more players for "Buzz" to throw under the bus! It is time to move on from this failed experiment and get a competent coach.

Last edited:
Back