• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rory to Nike?

Respect Wood

Reaction score
This has been the hot rumor around the golf world for the past couple of months. Does this explain the Tiger/Rory bromance?

i wanna see what CATURDAY has to say about this

Holy crap at the $100M from Gatorade.

I don't have any numbers in front of me but I would guess Tiger was a big loser for gatorade. Between the big price tag on him and the epic failure of the Tiger line of gatorade, that's a lot of money in someone that would go on to lose a lot of marketability.

What brand does Rory play with now? I've never noticed, but I'd guess Taylor.

$250M over 10 years? Isn't that more than they've paid Tiger during his career? I doubt that will happen considering Tiger is the sole reason Nike golf exists.

$250M over 10 years? Isn't that more than they've paid Tiger during his career? I doubt that will happen considering Tiger is the sole reason Nike golf exists.

Which is precisely why most people think this "rumor" is complete nonsense. I can certainly understand a rumor that Rory will leave Titleist as they have a history of not paying big money to players (Woods, Mickelson, Els all left Titleist for more money). I doubt very much it would be Nike.

i wanna see what CATURDAY has to say about this

Ask and you shall receive my friend. Thanks to TW I have my username back. I've heard this rumor for over a year now and I think it's almost inevitable that Rory goes to Nike. Rory makes a ton from his current contracts but they were signed when he was very young, most before he'd won on tour. So it wouldn't be that difficult for Nike to buyout his deals. Nike basically reverse engineered Tiger's irons when he switched to Nike but they won't have to do that for Rory. They can make comparable irons and wedges without a problem. I expect it would take more coercion to get Rory to switch woods and putters as he's show he tends to stick with what works here. A lot of you laughed at me when I said Rory would be the highest paid athlete in the world but it's inevitable at this point. I still think he's more Palmer than Nicklaus/Woods.

Already have my 913D3 on order. Heard nothing but ridiculously good things about that club and the 910D3 was already the best driver I've ever hit. Plus the OEM Diamana's are stock this time around - not the made-for-Titleist imposters. So much win.

Rory can leave if he wants, but it'd take a lot of $$$.

I would laugh my ass off at Chubby Chandler if Nike buys out Rory's current contracts and then gives him $250mm or whatever the amount might be.

Ask and you shall receive my friend. Thanks to TW I have my username back. I've heard this rumor for over a year now and I think it's almost inevitable that Rory goes to Nike. Rory makes a ton from his current contracts but they were signed when he was very young, most before he'd won on tour. So it wouldn't be that difficult for Nike to buyout his deals. Nike basically reverse engineered Tiger's irons when he switched to Nike but they won't have to do that for Rory. They can make comparable irons and wedges without a problem. I expect it would take more coercion to get Rory to switch woods and putters as he's show he tends to stick with what works here. A lot of you laughed at me when I said Rory would be the highest paid athlete in the world but it's inevitable at this point. I still think he's more Palmer than Nicklaus/Woods.

No. When we laughed at you it wasnt because you said Rory would be the highest paid athlete. Nice try. You said he'd be bigger and more popular than Tiger from a marketing perspective. And, yes, that's still a completely asinine comment. Woods is an icon. The only other athlete in his league in terms of popularity/marketing is Jordan. It's not even close. I know one can never say never... But, some ugly Irish golfer will never reach Tiger/MJ status. Sorry.

Also, when we last had this conversation you were bolstering your idiotic argument by saying Rory is going to take Oakley to the next level. Also, absurd. Now, it seems like Rory needs Nike... You know the golf brand that would not exist but for you know who.

Back