• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rory to Nike?

I get what you're saying, but the design elements just aren't that important to professional golfers. As I mentioned - the speed slot thing is from Adams and is very old. TM just threw marketing at it and suddenly people like you (no offense) think the rocketballz stuff is new technology when it's not. Most of the tech right now is for amateurs - the loft/lie changes on the fly have been around forever for pros - VJ was bending his driver open 4 degrees a decade ago. Same with adding/removing weight to the head, it was just hotmelt instead of screws. Square drivers, cavity backed, multi-compound heads, etc - none of it has improved a well struck shot since they locked down the COR. It's not like Low spin/high trajectory is a new idea, it's just being advertised as such.

If you compare the "innovations" between Ping, Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Adams, and Cleveland right now - I'd like to hear who has "proprietary technology" that actually matters to a pro. Because pretty much all the pros bounce around between equipment companies at different points in their careers, and there's no way they'd do that if anyone gave them an actual advantage or disadvantage (minus the guys pulling down Rory money).

I'm certainly not arguing that flipping your entire bag to a new manufacturer won't have a negative affect for a while - but it's usually just because you've messed with what was working and these guys are extremely meticulous in their equipment setups. It'll take a while for Rory to get dialed in, and when you're working on your equipment you're not working on your game as much, but after a few months my guess is he'll be back to normal.

Fair points. Thanks for expounding on your position. And I was aware that Adams started that club design awhile ago, but TM took it over recently. It was the first example I could come up with on the fly but didn't exactly make the point well. And you are right, pros need very little of the "gimmicky" design that guys like me need.

I'm hoping Rory keeps butt with his new gear, the kid seems very likeable, which is not something I would have said about Tiger at a similar stage of his career.

Agreed. Love Rory, still pull for Tiger even though he's an ass... He's just fun to watch when he's on. Definitely pulling for Rory in a head-to-head matchup though.

I'm not saying some companies don't come up with technology that's hard to replicate for a while - for instance the Titleist 910 and the follow-up 913 were awesome for me because, as a tall player, I've always needed to bend my driver/3wood up a degree or two. Nobody else had a clean hosel design that could do both open/closed face and loft/lie independently without screwing with the shaft position until the 910. For a pro, who cares, they just have their drivers bent and if they break who cares. For me, bending a driver hosel was a $300 risk.

The best thing that's happened recently is the upgrading of stock shafts. Historically the public really didn't notice if they saw Tiger hitting a Diamana and their club said Diamana "made for xxx" on it - even though Tiger's was a $400 shaft and the crap in the retail versions was worth under $10. The secret is out now though (probably due to interchangeable shafts), and a lot of manufacturers are having to include OEM-grade shafts as stock options. Taylormade has historically delivered them via the ultra-expensive Tour Preferred line, and now that's boiled down to just $100 difference because all the heads are identical.

Oh wait, just saw they're offering it with the Kyoshi for $900. Gotta love TM - "Super TP." Ha.

Back