• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Russian Meteor Strike; Hundreds injured...

WFdeacon04

Reaction score
Moscow (CNN) -- A meteor streaked through the skies above Russia's southern Chelyabinsk region Friday morning, before exploding with a flash and boom that shattered glass in buildings and left hundreds of people hurt. The number of people reporting injuries climbed to more than 500 by lunchtime, according to Vladimir Stepanov, of the National Center for Emergency Situations at the Russian Interior Ministry.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html

Here's the high definition video from a dash cam on a car - pretty wild.

Last edited:
Video with sound... at the 12 second mark, you'll hear it. If I'm correct, this is actually the shock wave from the meteor passing through the atmosphere causing all of the windows to blow out, and not the meteor actually striking Earth. Pretty amazing (and probably scary as shit if you live there)...

I love that if something happens in Russia, there's a 95% chance it's caught on a dash cam.

I wonder how many cold war era survivors thought we'd finally started armageddon?

I'll be interested to see what the scientists think of this air blast. How large was the meteor and was it related to 2012 D14?

This is 2012 D14, a asteroid that is about 50m in diameter. It will pass within 17,000 miles of Earth today.

original

Watch the moving spherical object, not the line(most likely a satellite.)

hdeWYQe.gif

TW, I heard that they think it technically is a meteorite (they believe it did hit the Earth's surface) and they think about a meter in diameter but haven't found it yet.

I'll be interested to see what the scientists think of this air blast. How large was the meteor and was it related to 2012 D14?

This is 2012 D14, a asteroid that is about 50m in diameter. It will pass within 17,000 miles of Earth today.

original

Watch the moving spherical object, not the line(most likely a satellite.)

hdeWYQe.gif

holy shit space lasers

TW, I heard that they think it technically is a meteorite (they believe it did hit the Earth's surface) and they think about a meter in diameter but haven't found it yet.

From watching the videos, I think most of it probably burnt up in the air and small pieces of debris hit the ground. I'd be surprised if it was large enough to hit the surface but who knows! This is fascinating.

ZmG7yvICMbM.jpg

[video=youtube;4ZxXYscmgRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ZxXYscmgRg[/video]

I read it was the size of a semi truck when it entered the atmosphere, then broke up to about 1m in diameter when it hit.

I read it was the size of a semi truck when it entered the atmosphere, then broke up to about 1m in diameter when it hit.

From one of the astronomy blogs I follow:

I don’t know how big the meteoroid (the solid part) of this was. The information is too scattered; we’d need the position of the people who took the videos to triangulate and see how far up the debris trail is, for example. I’ll note that people were taking video of the trail for some time before the explosion is heard, which is consistent with it being the shock wave from the passage of the meteoroid through our atmosphere high above the ground. I know a lot of folks will think that’s the sound from the explosion due to impact, but it’s more likely to be the sonic boom from something big moving at multiple times the speed of sound through the air.

This RT clip has a couple of different videos put together... Typical Russian non-chalance at seeing a fireball in the sky... Sweet lord.

Crazy. Oddly enough, I first read about the damage last night from a Capitals blog I frequent. Their KHL arena is one of the damaged buildings.

"The meteor shower which struck Chelyabinsk and its environs has also caused some disruption to the hockey season schedule. The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed.

The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use."

No one appears to be sure whether the meteorite hit any buildings, or if it was the shitty construction combined with the shock wave that did the damage. Damn you Russia! Give us more information!

Back