• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

eh - i think it's hard to say that sam left a year "early"

he had 5 years at wake, and it was clear that 2022 would be his last season at Wake

Would Sam have been better off going pro end of 2021 vs. now?

I know we've had a couple of 6th/7th year offensive linemen, but are there examples across college football of a QB who stayed at one school for 6 years playing significant minutes like Sam would have been?

I know we've had a couple of 6th/7th year offensive linemen, but are there examples across college football of a QB who stayed at one school for 6 years playing significant minutes like Sam would have been?
I was going to say Jordan Travis but just read he started his career at UL. Didn't know that

I was going to say Jordan Travis but just read he started his career at UL. Didn't know that

Wake had to be one of only a few universities who hadn’t take a transfer QB in the last decade. Wake still hasn’t had a transfer QB take snaps.

Actually I’m not sure who the last QB to transfer into Wake.

Wake had to be one of only a few universities who hadn’t take a transfer QB in the last decade. Wake still hasn’t had a transfer QB take snaps.

Actually I’m not sure who the last QB to transfer into Wake.
Jamie Harris transferred from UGA to Wake in the mid 1980's. He's the last one that I remember. Started the opener against VT but got hurt and Foy White took over as the starter.

Good info. That's before my time.

Jamie Harris transferred from UGA to Wake in the mid 1980's. He's the last one that I remember. Started the opener against VT but got hurt and Foy White took over as the starter.
The many years prior to the immediate eligibility rule being in effect probably are much less relevant. Since that ruling, Wake had an incumbent starting QB return every year until 2023.

Led us to a season ending upset against Ga. Tech when Mike Elkins got suspended a long with a few other players I think for that game. Maybe 1986?

You guys know that if Sam stayed for this year, we would have most likely just gotten the Mitch Griffis experience next year right? I have my doubts that Griffis would have landed a starting P5 job if he transferred last offseason, so he most likely would have just stuck around and Clawson would have given him the job for 2024.

With that said, I don't think Sam leaving a year early significantly altered the trajectory of the program in the long run.
Hard to say. Banks, Williams, and Grimes might all still be here. Clawson has one more proven season of good offense to sell transfers and recruits. Now, you can't sell the system the same way.

Maybe it just delays the inevitable, but I rather win more games for as long as possible.

Led us to a season ending upset against Ga. Tech when Mike Elkins got suspended a long with a few other players I think for that game. Maybe 1986?
Reminds me of the great Spurrier quote about how he liked playing Georgia early because they would always have a couple of guys suspended.

It was 1986. It was the first time we beat them after they joined the ACC.

Hartman on campus today and last night. Not sure if it has to do anything with pro day— maybe rolling with WF instead of ND for the draft?

Hartman on campus today and last night. Not sure if it has to do anything with pro day— maybe rolling with WF instead of ND for the draft?
Supporting teammates for their pro day is what it seems like to me. It is interesting to think about pro days in the transfer portal era. Pro days can be an opportunity to elevate the profile of teammates if a player has lots of interest. I guess you just do the pro day at whatever your last school is.

Back