• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Supporting teammates for their pro day is what it seems like to me. It is interesting to think about pro days in the transfer portal era. Pro days can be an opportunity to elevate the profile of teammates if a player has lots of interest. I guess you just do the pro day at whatever your last school is.
Don't know if still the case, but we also used to include guys from other achools in the area that didn't have enough players for their own pro day, i.e. APP State, WS State, Elon, A&T, etc.

With so many QBs mocked to go in the first round I wouldn’t be surprised if Sam gets drafted.

maybe you are right. Would be nice to see Sam get a shot and get some money.
Not like he needs it. With that said, I wonder how much NIL makes players ambivalent about being drafted late compared to being a UDFA trying to make a career

With all the donks who end up getting starts over the course of an NFL season any decent college QB has a shot

I think Sam gets drafted day 3 or ends up UFA. His NFL career is likely similar to Wolford's. Backup, with a few sporadic starts. As noted above, all sorts of backup random guys get starts because the starters get hurt.

I think he'll fall shy of Wolford, but I hope I'm wrong.
Hartman, like Wolford, is accurate as a passer. That helps with training receivers. Also the Wake offense puts a premium on reading defenses, both pre and post snap. That too is a useful attribute for backup QB's. He would have an eye for finding "tells" in defenses, especially his own team's D in practice.

I think Sam will get drafted in or after the 5th round. My guess is 6th, someone will take a flyer.

I think Sam will get drafted in or after the 5th round. My guess is 6th, someone will take a flyer.
Sam's draft position in the late rounds is very dependent on him impressing one GM/scouting staff. If somebody likes him, and doesn't have a better option on their draft board and could use a backup QB, Sam gets drafted.

Everyone is trying to find the next Brock Purdy
In fact, Sam kinda reminds me of College-Purdy. Gunslinger, a lot of TDs and a lot of INTs. I think a team takes a chance on him, even with a draft pick. It locks him up for four years which is four years of organization-specific development (compared to a UDFA)

Sam would do very well as a backup in SF.
Why is that?

Personally, I don’t think Sam is an ideal NFL backup. Successful NFL backups tend to fall into 2 categories, low ceiling- high floor game management types and unpolished raw prospects who could use a couple seasons of coaching.

Sam doesn’t appear to be either. Sam has had too many multiple interception games where the loss was on him and he was unable to get out of his own way. Sam is also a polished passer with solid mechanics who may have reached his ceiling in terms of potential. While this season at Notre Dame did assist him with national exposure, I didn’t see it endearing him to NFL scouts. This may be due in part to the coordinator change that happened after he arrived, as well as the lack of NFL caliber offensive weapons at Notre Dame.

Since fewer teams are keeping a 3rd QB active, I see Sam more likely to have a career on several different practice squads.

John Wolford has proven himself to be a coach’s best in the quarterback room and has been able to have a career based on that. Maybe Sam could potentially follow a similar path but I haven’t heard too much about Sam being that type of student of the game outside of generic platitudes.

Back