• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Well that will be good. I feel like the ball rollback is nearly universally hated by players and fans.

My main problem with LIV was less the Saudis and more with Greg and Figjam. If you want to sports wash in a positive way, my idea was for the Saudis to team up with the DP and double all the non-Rolex purses and have the year end event in Jeddah instead of Dubai. That would have cost the Saudis less than $100mil per year, and it would have grown the game by making the DP more sustainable, given that they mostly lose their best players to the PGA. Instead, what happened is the Saudis funded Greg's and Phil's vendettas against the PGA, and they created an unsustainable and unwatchable rival tour.

I have no idea exactly what this looks like at the moment other than the tours finish out their seasons. I'm interested to see what the specifics are. However, my suspicions are that the $$ won't end up bolstering those non-Rolex DP events as much as it will end up lining the pockets of the big names. And if that's indeed what happens, this is a sad day for professional golf. Also notice who is left out in the cold in this deal - the LPGA. I hope they're able to sustain their sponsors and maintain their $2mil events while the men roll around in their newfound $$. It's unconscionable that Monahan didn't go to bat for the women and get them in on this deal.

My main problem with LIV was less the Saudis and more with Greg and Figjam. If you want to sports wash in a positive way, my idea was for the Saudis to team up with the DP and double all the non-Rolex purses and have the year end event in Jeddah instead of Dubai. That would have cost the Saudis less than $100mil per year, and it would have grown the game by making the DP more sustainable, given that they mostly lose their best players to the PGA. Instead, what happened is the Saudis funded Greg's and Phil's vendettas against the PGA, and they created an unsustainable and unwatchable rival tour.

I have no idea exactly what this looks like at the moment other than the tours finish out their seasons. I'm interested to see what the specifics are. However, my suspicions are that the $$ won't end up bolstering those non-Rolex DP events as much as it will end up lining the pockets of the big names. And if that's indeed what happens, this is a sad day for professional golf. Also notice who is left out in the cold in this deal - the LPGA. I hope they're able to sustain their sponsors and maintain their $2mil events while the men roll around in their newfound $$. It's unconscionable that Monahan didn't go to bat for the women and get them in on this deal.
something tells me supporting the LPGA would have been a non-starter for the Saudi's

Saudis next step will be to start LLIV to take down the LPGA; after that merger, the new women's golf tour will look like this (the one infidel woman on the left with modest skirt will be banned):

IMG_0099-scaled.jpg

Does any of this change whether or not you will watch tour events? I want to say it will for me, but it won't. And that's the brilliance of sports-washing. Sports means too much to most of us. We will be angry or outraged for a bit, then go along with our normal sports consumption

Does any of this change whether or not you will watch tour events? I want to say it will for me, but it won't. And that's the brilliance of sports-washing. Sports means too much to most of us. We will be angry or outraged for a bit, then go along with our normal sports consumption

I'll still watch the big events, but I already had transitioned away from watching the typical weekly tour events mainly due to family time. If anything, a team format that works could draw me back for more.

something tells me supporting the LPGA would have been a non-starter for the Saudi's
My gut would have said the same thing. But please remember that the Saudis hosted a $5mil ladies Euro tour event in February that Lydia Ko won. Needless to say, that's the best ladies Euro payday by probably at least 5 fold. A bunch of LPGA members went over for that 1. They started it in 2020, and this was the 4th edition. So the Saudis are open to helping women's golf. So I still say Jay Monahan and Keith Pelley left them out in the cold.

Generally agree, but hope I'm able to ignore all future three round no cut team events. That's Hero World Challenge exhibition crap.

Three round events I definitely won't pay attention to. Don't care about team events at present but depending on how they are set up I guess I could be intrigued. If this drives more guys to play different/fun courses in Europe or other areas I'm in.

Now if this messes with the ESPN+ deal for watching thursday/Friday then yeah that's gonna impact the amount of golf I watch. The ESPN+ deal is one of the greatest things to happen to any sport in years as far as increasing my personal value for the sport

I won't run away if it is on at a friend's place or a bar, but I probably won't put it on anymore. But some of that is just me not being as interested in watching sports as I get older - so it won't bother me much to boycott it at home.

So does the TPC move to Trump Lowes Island, Trump Bedminster, Trump Doral, or Trump Los Angeles?

Three round events I definitely won't pay attention to. Don't care about team events at present but depending on how they are set up I guess I could be intrigued. If this drives more guys to play different/fun courses in Europe or other areas I'm in.

Now if this messes with the ESPN+ deal for watching thursday/Friday then yeah that's gonna impact the amount of golf I watch. The ESPN+ deal is one of the greatest things to happen to any sport in years as far as increasing my personal value for the sport

It sounds like administration of events will still be left up to the PGA Tour, so I expect the 3 day no cut events are gone.

I doubt it. The only player even left in the lawsuit was Mickelson. This was 100% about money. It always is.

My guess is some combination of the following happened:

1) Sponsors balked at the heavy sponsorship costs

2) The DP Tour saw that their tour was being gutted and their business model was failing and probably started to negotiated a merger with LIV, at which time the PGA Tour realized any leverage they had with players would be gone.

3) The Saudi's probably brought a fuck you level of money to the table that the PGA Tour, acting on behalf of players, couldn't turn down.

In the end it was always about money.

There were no players left in the lawsuit. The last three got out of the suit about a month ago.

Monahan's speech today will be heavily weighted on the new money the players will be making, you can bet on that. He's going to make that sound gooood. And I wonder how many of the players will whisper to the player next to them "I wonder how much Monahan gets out of this?" Monahan looks like the biggest hypocrite there is right now, and that is saying something considering there is a Republican party.

Back