• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long College Basketball Thread

Can someone explain why FSU still has such a low KenPom rank? They are six spots behind Duke and twelve behind UVA, despite having beaten both of them. And they only have one total loss, compared to three for each of those teams. Is it a strength of schedule issue? It just seems to me that they have a really good resume so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The simple explanation is that per 100 possessions they don't score as many points as some other teams do & per the same 100 possessions on defense they give up some more points than other teams.
They did play a soft OOC schedule, but that is factored in to those adjustments. What will likely be harder for some to comprehend is that on the offensive side they are about the same team as Wake.

Good ?. I thought maybe them not blowing out weaker teams would explain it, but generally they've taken care of biz vs. everyone (Temple aside).

Are his preseason projections still factoring in to some degree?

Pre-season is in for another 10 days, but it's pretty small at this point.

They are ranked 21st offensively and 22nd defensively.

The Temple loss took them from 34 to 41, and they bounced back slowly each game since then to get to their current spot of 16th.

Whom in the upcoming draft class do you feel really confident can be a #1 on a championship-contending team? There are a lot of guys, but I don't feel all that good about any of them.

Fultz.

Where did I say "flawed?" I'm just saying I'm a bit skeptical.

Which guy from this class do you feel pretty confident will be a #1 on a contender?

Fultz, Ball, Smith.

this is the best draft for PGs I can remember. Those three Fox, the French kid look like stars. Monk, Josh J., Tatum, Isaac and Bam look like stars. There are more. This is a great draft.

pretty sweet games starting at 6 pm now. tyler cavanaugh and GW on espn2 now vs vcu

Kinda like BC getting +5.5 at home. They played Duke well on the road and beat decent teams in their last 2 home games. NC State coming off that embarrassing loss. Not convinced State will bounce back right away. They have lost every true road game they have played.

Of course, DSJ could go off for 30+.

NCST/BC is close with under 10 mins to play

Good cover for BC. Don't know how they have so many terrible losses early, they look OK.

State looks like they could go into free fall with Gott.

Pretty crazy that Gott's tournament results haven't bought him more rope with the State fans, he's been to 2 or 3 sweet sixteens, right?

Gottfried actually has a very similar tournament record to Skip, but Gott has 1 more sweet sixteen.

Pretty crazy that Gott's tournament results haven't bought him more rope with the State fans, he's been to 2 or 3 sweet sixteens, right?

Their regular seasons have been so-so. Their best NCAA Tournament seed with Gottfried was as an #8 seed in 2013 and 2015. Opposite of Prosser in that regard. Prosser had good regular seasons, but poor NCAA Tournament showings.

Fans tend to get a bit irritated when the program appears to be stagnant without any signs of progress.

They don't make banners for regular seasons though.

Their regular seasons have been so-so. Their best NCAA Tournament seed with Gottfried was as an #8 seed in 2013 and 2015. Opposite of Prosser in that regard. Prosser had good regular seasons, but poor NCAA Tournament showings.

Fans tend to get a bit irritated when the program appears to be stagnant without any signs of progress.

You don't say!? :tard:

Richmond up to 4-0 in the A-10, with road wins @Davison and @George Washington.

College of Charleston is also helping us out from a SoS standpoint, as they sit at 13-4 (4-0 in CAA play).

The point I was trying to make is that 2 runs to the Sweet 16 as a higher seed isn't anything that should make State fans feel great about the guy. Cinderella runs in the NCAA Tournament are nice when they happen, but when you have shown an inability to build on that, fans will get frustrated. I think Gottfried's ceiling is pretty clear right now.

Sure they do.

13455380655_ca788b97a3_b.jpg

Riddle me this:

4 NCAAT appearances in 5 years

0 NCAAT appearances in 7 years

Which fanbase feels more frustrated?! :(

Back