• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Sensory Deprivation Tank"

there's a couple places that do it in portland (shocker!). I keep getting groupons for it.

I dont think i want to spend that much time in my head, quite frankly.

This is the same idea behind not letting my mother-in-law watch Fox News for 5 minutes.

Altered_states.jpg

Completely blocked it at my house. I swear my dad would watch it 24/7.

2 years ago, we rented a beach house and invited my in-laws. After 30 minutes of them being there, we instituted a no Fox News in the living room rule. My mother-in-law spent 8 hours a day in her room.

There's a place in Kernersville that charges 39.99 per hour. My girlfriend and I are going to check it out soon.

2 years ago, we rented a beach house and invited my in-laws. After 30 minutes of them being there, we instituted a no Fox News in the living room rule. My mother-in-law spent 8 hours a day in her room.

You really made a rule? I'm not sure how I would react to someone telling me I couldn't watch something I wanted to watch. Seems pretty aggressive and antagonistic?

I'm kinda with BYM, it's always on at my grandma's when I go visit and it's infuriating to just a) see the absurdist headlines, b) enter conversations where Fox News is the "objective" source presenting "news," and c) it's a vacation get out into the real world, but you can't because d) Fox News has you scared of your own shadow - it may be a person of color.

I'm kinda with BYM, it's always on at my grandma's when I go visit and it's infuriating to just a) see the absurdist headlines, b) enter conversations where Fox News is the "objective" source presenting "news," and c) it's a vacation get out into the real world, but you can't because d) Fox News has you scared of your own shadow - it may be a person of color.

This is very much it. And, I payed for the condo. If I don't want that garbage on, I shouldn't have to deal with it.

I do this every couple of months at a spa here in Austin. The tanks they have are big enough for me to stand in at 6'2 and not touch any walls at full stretch. I always go for a one hour float. Basically it is exactly like what you've probably read; you get in the tank and float and after a couple minutes your senses should be neutralized. Once the brain starts to wander free things can get pretty weird. I've had a different experience with each float, ranging from some interesting visual and auditory hallucinations to feeling like I might have fallen asleep in there/lucid dreaming type of stuff. Common denominator is I always come out feeling amazing and super relaxed. I've never had a massage or anything but I imagine the feeling of relaxation is similar. I also usually feel like my senses are heightened (brighter colors, etc.) for a day or two after. It's usually kind of pricey for a good spa, otherwise I'd probably go a couple times a month.

If you're going to do it I definitely recommend going into it with a plan to do more than one float. Visit the place you plan on going, check out the equipment, ask the staff whatever questions you have. The first time, you'll probably spend at least half the time adjusting to the experience and acclimating yourself to what's going on. I have history with anxiety and panic attacks and I was pretty damn nervous on my first trip -- the whole idea of getting in a tank in perfect dark/silence, breathing hot, humid air and not really knowing what exactly is going to happen can be kind of daunting. It can also be surprisingly tricky to figure out comfortable body position in the tank. Figuring out what to do with your arms/reduce stress on your neck while floating takes a little while. The spa here was really helpful and informative prior to getting in which helped reduce the nervousness but it still took about 30 minutes to really get comfortable in my first float. Second time around it only took a couple minutes and I was able to get more out of the hour.

Last edited:
Also, I've found the fear of being alone in your own head is pretty quickly removed once you get in there. Keeping a constant stream of thought is pretty difficult... For me, my mind always wanders in weird directions kind of like when you're about to fall asleep. There are moments where might have an "active" thought, like realizing that opening and shutting your eyes makes absolutely no difference with regard to what you see in front of you, but most of what you think about is kind of random. Hard to describe the visuals but if you think about when you look at something bright and then close your eyes and still see the technicolor outline of that, most of what I see is like that. But it might be moving shapes or very fleeting, constantly changing images. Your imagination really determines what exactly it is. Most times it is difficult for me to remember any specific visual or thought after getting out.

Last edited:
I do this every couple of months at a spa here in Austin. The tanks they have are big enough for me to stand in at 6'2 and not touch any walls at full stretch. I always go for a one hour float. Basically it is exactly like what you've probably read; you get in the tank and float and after a couple minutes your senses should be neutralized. Once the brain starts to wander free things can get pretty weird. I've had a different experience with each float, ranging from some interesting visual and auditory hallucinations to feeling like I might have fallen asleep in there/lucid dreaming type of stuff. Common denominator is I always come out feeling amazing and super relaxed. I've never had a massage or anything but I imagine the feeling of relaxation is similar. I also usually feel like my senses are heightened (brighter colors, etc.) for a day or two after. It's usually kind of pricey for a good spa, otherwise I'd probably go a couple times a month.

If you're going to do it I definitely recommend going into it with a plan to do more than one float. Visit the place you plan on going, check out the equipment, ask the staff whatever questions you have. The first time, you'll probably spend at least half the time adjusting to the experience and acclimating yourself to what's going on. I have history with anxiety and panic attacks and I was pretty damn nervous on my first trip -- the whole idea of getting in a tank in perfect dark/silence, breathing hot, humid air and not really knowing what exactly is going to happen can be kind of daunting. It can also be surprisingly tricky to figure out comfortable body position in the tank. Figuring out what to do with your arms/reduce stress on your neck while floating takes a little while. The spa here was really helpful and informative prior to getting in which helped reduce the nervousness but it still took about 30 minutes to really get comfortable in my first float. Second time around it only took a couple minutes and I was able to get more out of the hour.

Just made my decision alot easier man, thanks.

Back