• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seriously, Who Should We Hire?

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Since it is obvious we will be looking for a new coach, who is it going to be? The fact is a lot of the names thrown around 3 and 4 years ago have not done so well other than Stevens and Smart, and we never had a chance with those guys, and I am certain Wellman inquired of them. Face it, Turgeon, Brownell, Gottfried, Mooney and some of the others thrown around have not done much either. Tony Bennett was almost run out of Charlottesville not too long ago, and now look at him.

Honestly, other than Shaka (who is NOT coming), I don't see anyone else I am all the thrilled about. I shook my head when I saw the thread about Wojo, but frankly, he looks better to me than most now. God forbid if he turned it down, because I am not sure K is going to coach much longer, and if he is K's chosen successor, K and Duke will make it worth his while to stay.

I just can't get excited about anyone out there who is remotely available. Although most everyone would be an upgrade. I'm fine with Childress at this stage given this crop. He could at least recruit, and is a leader and a total badass who knows the game. I'd be happy with his ability to lead guys into the ACC wars.

Someone please tell me I am wrong and make the case for some of the supposed rising stars. I am not hopeful at all at this point.

I think we should hire someone suggested in one of the other dozen threads about this very same subject.

There is a 160+ page thread on the subject... just sayin'.

Although this is the first one that has mentioned Gottfried. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Oliver Purnell....

Gonna keep suggesting it until it takes off...

I think Billy Lee would jump at the opportunity.

Since it is obvious we will be looking for a new coach, who is it going to be? The fact is a lot of the names thrown around 3 and 4 years ago have not done so well other than Stevens and Smart, and we never had a chance with those guys, and I am certain Wellman inquired of them. Face it, Turgeon, Brownell, Gottfried, Mooney and some of the others thrown around have not done much either. Tony Bennett was almost run out of Charlottesville not too long ago, and now look at him.

Honestly, other than Shaka (who is NOT coming), I don't see anyone else I am all the thrilled about. I shook my head when I saw the thread about Wojo, but frankly, he looks better to me than most now. God forbid if he turned it down, because I am not sure K is going to coach much longer, and if he is K's chosen successor, K and Duke will make it worth his while to stay.

I just can't get excited about anyone out there who is remotely available. Although most everyone would be an upgrade. I'm fine with Childress at this stage given this crop. He could at least recruit, and is a leader and a total badass who knows the game. I'd be happy with his ability to lead guys into the ACC wars.

Someone please tell me I am wrong and make the case for some of the supposed rising stars. I am not hopeful at all at this point.

When was Gottfried ever mentioned in connection with the Wake Forest coaching job? Talk about revisionist history (Brownell and Mooney were also not thought to be anything more than back-ups, and both are proven to be better than [Redacted] by a wide margin).

Also, there's zero proof that Childress can recruit (or coach).

Michael White, Archie Miller, and Masiello have both coaching chops (see advanced stats) and recruiting chops (previous experience / awards as assistants).

Last edited:
Although this is the first one that has mentioned Gottfried. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Certainly no one here wanted Gottfried, but there was lots of talk about how State got a such a great coach who was going to go toe to toe with Roy and K, and now, wellm not so much.... Point being, this board has hero worshipped a lot of coaches who ain't been doin' so hot....

Certainly no one here wanted Gottfried, but there was lots of talk about how State got a such a great coach who was going to go toe to toe with Roy and K, and now, wellm not so much.... Point being, this board has hero worshipped a lot of coaches who ain't been doin' so hot....

More revisionist history. Pretty sure that everyone made fun of the Gottfried hire when it occurred. Keep trying though.

The only reason people didn't want Gottfried was that he tried to recruit our players after Skip died, but after his blazing recruiting start and some early success, this board thought State was going to be a permanent fixture in the top 15 for years to come under him.

Before you speculate too long, better hope Bz in fact is terminated. Hope it is sooner than later.

The only reason people didn't want Gottfried was that he tried to recruit our players after Skip died, but after his blazing recruiting start and some early success, you would have thought State was going to be a permanent fixture in the top 15 for years to come under him.

Not really. A lot of people were talking about the red flags on his Alabama resume.

Before you speculate too long, better hope Bz in fact is terminated. Hope it is sooner than later.

There just can't be any question. There really can't. Years 1 and 2 weren't possible. Year 3 was a toss up. This is it. Ron laid the foundation and made it clear at the beginning of the year as to what was expected, and 17-16 against a soft schedule and no post-season ain't it. It is OVER. Ron said all the things you say when you can't come out and say it. I expect it Monday or Tuesday. He will act fast and fly home after the brackets are submitted, and probably meet Monday, and that will be it. It will be a short meeting, "Buzz, I needed 20 wins and at least an NIT in year 4. Sorry. Good luck. We can still be friends. Gotta go."

Wellman really liked how Tad Boyle built on the foundation that [Redacted] built at Colorado....Tad Boyle has to be on Wellman's short list.

Boyle looks OK, I guess. Would be solid. Not sure I see huge upside, but certainly has to be on the A list with the current crop. I don't see any chance of Marshall. White is the definition of a flyer, but I don't have a problem with that. Will probably get flamed, but I love Anthony Grant, and not sure what the hell happened down there this year. He should have faked a bad back. He is an absolute badass, though. If somehow we could get Marshall, you have to do it, but I see an only slightly better chance of him coming as Shaka (read: Shaka 0%, Marshall .01% chance).

Where is Chupe? Doesn't he live for this shit?

Honestly, by posting this thread, the op has proven that we'd really prefer not have him on the other thread, so it's cool.

You do realize there are only three or four different topics on the entire first page, right? Just checking. It is a pretty big day on one topic in particular......

If all the fans get back on their knees and apoolgize, Dino might answer the call. Right now he is lhao.

Back