• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seriously, Who Should We Hire?

Since it is obvious we will be looking for a new coach, who is it going to be? The fact is a lot of the names thrown around 3 and 4 years ago have not done so well other than Stevens and Smart, and we never had a chance with those guys, and I am certain Wellman inquired of them. Face it, Turgeon, Brownell, Gottfried, Mooney and some of the others thrown around have not done much either. Tony Bennett was almost run out of Charlottesville not too long ago, and now look at him.

Honestly, other than Shaka (who is NOT coming), I don't see anyone else I am all the thrilled about. I shook my head when I saw the thread about Wojo, but frankly, he looks better to me than most now. God forbid if he turned it down, because I am not sure K is going to coach much longer, and if he is K's chosen successor, K and Duke will make it worth his while to stay.

I just can't get excited about anyone out there who is remotely available. Although most everyone would be an upgrade. I'm fine with Childress at this stage given this crop. He could at least recruit, and is a leader and a total badass who knows the game. I'd be happy with his ability to lead guys into the ACC wars.

Someone please tell me I am wrong and make the case for some of the supposed rising stars. I am not hopeful at all at this point.

Don't know if the Wojo hire would be a good thing long term even if he would accept the job.

I have heard it bantered back and forth whether there is a definite rule/policy within the ACC that would prevent one conference team from hiring the coach of another conference team.

If there is no rule to prevent that, then you can bet the farm that Wojo would return to Duke when K resigns. (And at this point, could you blame him?)

Shaka just got approval for a new $20M+ bball practice facility to be ready in 2015. If he didn't take off in the last 4 years, he surely isn't leaving now. Why would Marshall leave? He is killing it at Wichita State. Why leave for a better conference when you can just join one now if that is what you really want? I don't think Marshall is going anywhere either.

Back