• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seven years for this

not-like-this.gif

Any nicknames for this game?

None are coming to mind yet, but we can certainly add the phantom Crawford flagrant to the following list:

1. Randolph's dribbling ball off foot
2. Timmy D's flu
3. Craig Dawson's shoulder
4. The nut punch

What have I missed?

Don't forget 2003 losing to #10 auburn as a #2 seed!

See ya'll in Seven years! I'm not sure I'll see us make the SS again before i die

Don't forget 2003 losing to #10 auburn as a #2 seed!

You're not going to go very far in the NCAAT without playing defense. That's why Skip's teams always got bounced early. He only made that one Sweet 16 because the #5 seed got upset in the 1st round and we were able to slip by the #13 & #12 seeds by 1 & 4 points. You can beat teams that have inferior talent to yours during the regular season by simply outscoring them, but as you move along in the NCAAT you are going to run into teams with comparable talent....and that's when not playing defense will inevitably knock you out of the tournament.

You're not going to go very far in the NCAAT without playing defense. That's why Skip's teams always got bounced early. He only made that one Sweet 16 because the #5 seed got upset in the 1st round and we were able to slip by the #13 & #12 seeds by 1 & 4 points. You can beat teams that have inferior talent to yours during the regular season by simply outscoring them, but as you move along in the NCAAT you are going to run into teams with comparable talent....and that's when not playing defense will inevitably knock you out of the tournament.

The board vulture. Comes out only when there is carrion on the ground.

One of the most pathetic performances on defense I have ever seen, from Wake or anyone else (except maybe for just last week in the second half against Va Tech in the ACCT, but at the time you could write if off to tired legs since they had played the day before).

Defense (including rebounding on the defensive end) is about effort and coaching, pure and simple. Mediocre talent with good effort and coaching can produce decent defense. Neither effort nor coaching was present against K-St.

So it looks like the ceiling (or roof, acc. to Michael Jordan) for the Manning Era is this: the occasional invite to the Big Dance off the bubble, then an early flameout when a mediocre offensive team hangs 90 pts on them).

Or hire an assistant who can teach defense.

Last edited:

Good thing he died so we don't have to worry about that!

Yeah his shtick is as old as the Government's misuse of our funds but in this case he happens to be right. I remember when Manning was hired (and ever since) he commented that we would "hang out hat on defense". Only thing is the hat is a dunce cap. It should be obvious to him by now that whatever he is teaching is not getting through to the players or else is just plain wrong.

watched in amazement as they abused our man to man defense, especially taking Collins away from the basket. Even most high school coaches would have tried something different, when getting outscored in the paint 20-2 in first half and allowing 70% shooting, which was mostly uncontested layups. Why not pack a zone down low to see what happens. Collins had only one foul, but was pretty much a non-factor on defense, because he guarded his man around the top of the key and the foul line, most the night.

Back