• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seven years for this

So in the past twenty years we've outplayed our seed in ACCT or NCAAT exactly once (that ungood post-Chris Paul team in ACC) - is that right?

You're not going to go very far in the NCAAT without playing defense. That's why Skip's teams always got bounced early. He only made that one Sweet 16 because the #5 seed got upset in the 1st round and we were able to slip by the #13 & #12 seeds by 1 & 4 points. You can beat teams that have inferior talent to yours during the regular season by simply outscoring them, but as you move along in the NCAAT you are going to run into teams with comparable talent....and that's when not playing defense will inevitably knock you out of the tournament.

Wake was a top 25 defense in 09 & Dino couldn't beat Cleveland St.

Can't stop grandma in man to man so why not try something different? Are you that damn stubborn Manning? Can't remember seeing a worse performance but it's been so long my memory is probably clouded. What a joke of an effort. If Collins can't play the pick and roll defense any better than he did last nite he has no hope in the NBA. Johnson never missed a shot although it's hard to when all you have in layups, dunks and tip ins.

We lack the talent to be a very good defensive team. All this BS ramble ramble about effort and coaching being the only keys to good defense is silly fan talk. As an example, There is no way in hell Austin Arians will ever be a good defender at this level. He plays his ass off, but has almost zero lateral quickness. Same for Dinos. But you can't convince me we can't do better than what I saw last night. If things don't improve going forward I'll be surprised. The addition of Brown has got to help. I'm happy D Man knows how to coach a solid offense. I'm hopeful with the right athletes in place he can teach defense too.

You're not going to go very far in the NCAAT without playing defense. That's why Skip's teams always got bounced early. He only made that one Sweet 16 because the #5 seed got upset in the 1st round and we were able to slip by the #13 & #12 seeds by 1 & 4 points. You can beat teams that have inferior talent to yours during the regular season by simply outscoring them, but as you move along in the NCAAT you are going to run into teams with comparable talent....and that's when not playing defense will inevitably knock you out of the tournament.

Damn, Uncle Bob. Impressive insight.

The Wake Forest AD job has to be the best job in America. You can attend Bowling Green U, be a washed up baseball coach, act like a pompous ass to everyone for 26 years, fail in nearly every decision you make, have the support of virtually none of your fans, and just keep getting paid 6 figures until you are 70.

We are better than this people. Allowing Ron to keep his job is squarely on us.

not-like-this.gif

your caps seem to be choking down the stretch

Wake was a top 25 defense in 09 & Dino couldn't beat Cleveland St.

As I said in an earlier post, I've kept hearing that statement made, but I do not know what it is based upon. The following link shows that the 2009 team gave up 2,193 points in 31 games.....which was 186th in the nation in fewest total points allowed. This chart doesn't give each team's defensive ppg average, so you would have to divide each team's points allowed by games played for a true comparison. Still, WF played 31 games that year which was around the average for all teams....and gave up 2,193 points for an average of 70.74 PPG. I would be very surprised if that was in the top 25 defensive scoring averages in the country, but I didn't divide all the teams' points allowed by games played to get all the averages, so I could be wrong. Do you have a list of scoring defense PPG for that year?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2009-school-stats.html

ETA: Found a chart with the averages:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2009-04-07

WF was 244th in the nation in scoring defense in 2008-09.

Last edited:
The Wake Forest AD job has to be the best job in America. You can attend Bowling Green U, be a washed up baseball coach, act like a pompous ass to everyone for 26 years, fail in nearly every decision you make, have the support of virtually none of your fans, and just keep getting paid 6 figures until you are 70.

We are better than this people. Allowing Ron to keep his job is squarely on us.

Nearly every decision. We are in the middle of one of the most successful all around years for the department as a whole right now.

As I said in an earlier post, I've kept hearing that statement made, but I do not know what it is based upon. The following link shows that the 2009 team gave up 2,193 points in 31 games.....which was 186th in the nation in total points allowed. This chart doesn't give each team's defensive ppg average, so you would have to divide each team's points allowed by games played for a true comparison. Still, WF played 31 games that year which was around the average for all teams....and gave up 2,193 points for an average of 70.74 PPG. I would be very surprised if that was in the top 25 defensive scoring averages in the country, but I didn't divide all the teams' points allowed by games played to get all the averages, so I could be wrong. Do you have a list of scoring defense PPG for that year?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2009-school-stats.html
Bkf shows that he doesn't understand the impact of tempo

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I see. You wish to frame your argument around an unquantifiable variable which you can use in any manner you choose to claim that you are right no matter what the actual numbers are.

The purpose of defense is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. The team that allows the fewest points is the team that plays the best defense. You can still win games by allowing more points if you have a better offense and score more points yourself....but that doesn't mean that your defense has played better.

Yeah his shtick is as old as the Government's misuse of our funds but in this case he happens to be right. I remember when Manning was hired (and ever since) he commented that we would "hang out hat on defense". Only thing is the hat is a dunce cap. It should be obvious to him by now that whatever he is teaching is not getting through to the players or else is just plain wrong.

Per Kenpom this season was actually our worst defensive season -- by some distance -- under him. His first two years our defense actually rated higher than our offense -- not by much, but still.

The difference was our offense was light years better this year than it had been in his first two years. Also, he had pretty good defensive squads each of his two years @ Tulsa too.

Maybe this season will just serve as a wake up that he needs to do a better job of identifying defenders and get them on our roster, as it was his first season as a head coach where essentially the entire roster was guys that were his

There is a lot bkf doesn't understand. Honesty, being a man, reading comprehension, empathy, courage of your convictions, how a vagina works- the list goes on and on.

Funny how his posts on Wake basketball show up after losses and not after wins. What a tough guy.

I see. You wish to frame your argument around an unquantifiable variable which you can use in any manner you choose to claim that you are right no matter what the actual numbers are.

The purpose of defense is to prevent the opposing team from scoring. The team that allows the fewest points is the team that plays the best defense. You can still win games by allowing more points if you have a better offense and score more points yourself....but that doesn't mean that your defense has played better.
No I have kenpom that adjusts for tempo and strength of opponent. They had us listed as the 23rd best defensive efficiency in 2009. Our problems that year ended up being on offense.

Back