• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So Taxing Small Business Owners is Going to Lead to Jobs/Growth?

Businessman-Sitting-in-Corner-with-Dunce-Hat-Posters.jpg

Read his direct quotes. The source is unimportant and he is an idiot. And there is no chance in hell tax rates are going to increase when unemployment is at 9%.

Read his direct quotes. The source is unimportant and he is an idiot. And there is no chance in hell tax rates are going to increase when unemployment is at 9%.

Exactly. Do you want to address the substance of his quotes, Chris?

Much ado about nothing. I still say we should roll back all the bush tax cuts

Obama's plan is to roll back the Bush tax cuts on the top two tax brackets. In practice, this means that people with income above $200,000 for single people and $250,000 for couples would see taxes increase.

Now what does this mean for small businesses? It's not as easy as you might think to identify small businesses via the tax code. But there are several typical ways that small business owners pay their taxes, usually by declaring business income on their individual tax returns. Many people who declare business income are small businesses, though the group also includes professionals like lawyers, authors, or public speakers.

Looking at all the tax filers who report any business income at all, the Tax Policy Center confirms that about 2 percent will see their taxes increase under Obama's plan.

In an effort to focus more effectively on small business owners, the Tax Policy Center did an additional analysis where they looked at people who reported business income that accounted for at least 50 percent of their income. This means people who derive a significant living off their business income.

In 2007, about 2 percent of those tax filers would have made enough money to see a tax increase under Obama's plans.

There is a small bit of uncertainty in the best data available; it includes some people who we would not think of as traditional small business owners. But still, Obama's statement during the debate that "98 percent of small businesses make less than $250,000" matches the findings of a respected, non-partisan group of tax analysts. For that reason, we rate Obama's statement True.

This is a scam the RW has brainwashed its followers into believing. There is NOTHING a business can't do with 3% less that they can do now.

If it makes sense to hire someone when you have a gross profit of $250,000 and a tax of about $85,000, it makes sense to hire that pperson if you have the same income and a tax of $92,500.

If the guy isn't worth hiring with 3% less take home. He never was worth hiring.

This is a red herring that even red herrings understand is a scam.

Is there a set definition of "small business"? Hard to imagine someone making $250,000 in revenue has a small business.

Is there a set definition of "small business"? Hard to imagine someone making $250,000 in revenue has a small business.

Pass through income.

Rolling back the Bush tax cuts wouldn't change a thing about FL's unfunded retirement obligations.

Much like I support Chris Christie requiring public workers to pay in a few extra percent for what they are getting, I support it being done in FL as well.

On the federal level, if we are truly serious about balancing our budget we absolutely have to repeal the Bush tax cuts and have massive spending cuts simultaneously.

Getting out of a handful of stupid fucking wars wouldn't hurt either.

People seem to forget that there is a much larger crisis (albeit much of it taking place in FL) that explains why retirement accounts and pensions are unfunded.

This is a scam the RW has brainwashed its followers into believing. There is NOTHING a business can't do with 3% less that they can do now.

One might be tempted to say the same for the federal and state governments.

One might be tempted to say the same for the federal and state governments.

You can do both. In fact, the Dems have proposed more than 3% in cuts last year. Why won't the GOPP meet those cuts with 3% in taxes?

Because the GOP is intentionally sabotaging the economy to increase their chances in 2012. The New York Times told me so.

People seem to forget that there is a much larger crisis (albeit much of it taking place in FL) that explains why retirement accounts and pensions are unfunded.

This isn't about why they are unfunded, it's about how to fund them going forward.

This isn't about why they are unfunded, it's about how to not fund them going forward.

Fixed.

Any solution that has nothing to do with the problem isn't really a solution.

No, there isn't. And I think that is one of the problems. For most Small Business Administration programs, under $7 million in average annual receipts will generally classify you as a small business (but it depends on the industry, some will qualify with up to $35 million in average annual revenue and some are determined by number of employees (generally under 500)). Under the healthcare bill, there's a small business health care tax credit for employers with less than 25 full time employees and the average annual wages of the employees has to be under $50,000.

I work for a law firm with 2 partners and about 10 employees - that sounds like a small business to me, but we definitely wouldn't qualify for the health care credit and I'm not sure that we would qualify under the $7 million SBA standard.

In any event, $250,000 in revenue is, by almost any measure, "small."

Fixed.

Any solution that has nothing to do with the problem isn't really a solution.

The problem is that your state pension plan is underfunded with respect to future obligations.

The solution is to get more money into the pension plan from the people that will actually benefit from it.

I'd say that explicitly deals with the problem. What you're bickering about is the causes of the problem, of which there are many.

Back