• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Victor Wembanyama ROY, runner-up DPOY; Spurs pick #4 and #8

Heard some complaints about Wemby's rebounding. He may never be a great rebounder but he is disruptive. I'd be curious how many of his tips and blocks show as rebounds or steels for teammates.

So the next three games are on national TV.
Sunday at Clips on NBATV
Tuesday at Suns on TNT
Thursday at Suns on NBATV

Spurs offense is hard to watch until Jones and Branham enter the game.

Sochan at PG was and is a goofy experiment that keeps leading to loss after loss. His energy level picks up once Branham and/or Jones come in. He's like whew.

Through 3 games, the starting lineup with Sochan at PG is -33.3 net rating. Replace Sochan with Tre and it's +11.4. The "Tall Ball" lineup isn't good on D or O. They get cooked by guards. The rebounding is bad as well.

I like Sochan but he's not a PG. He was supposed to be the PF of the future. Now Wemby seems to be the PF. Can he be a playmaking wing at SF? I don't know.

If you look at the 2 player lineup advanced stats, the 4 players Wemby plays best with are all bench players: Osman (+56.7), Jones (+31.3), Branham (+18.7), and Bassey (+13.5). That lineup is +39.9 in 7 minutes.

Last edited:
that 1-2 with Durant then Wemby was awesome

Through 3 games, the starting lineup with Sochan at PG is -33.3 net rating. Replace Sochan with Tre and it's +11.4. The "Tall Ball" lineup isn't good on D or O. They get cooked by guards. The rebounding is bad as well.

I like Sochan but he's not a PG. He was supposed to be the PF of the future. Now Wemby seems to be the PF. Can he be a playmaking wing at SF? I don't know.

If you look at the 2 player lineup advanced stats, the 4 players Wemby plays best with are all bench players: Osman (+56.7), Jones (+31.3), Branham (+18.7), and Bassey (+13.5). That lineup is +39.9 in 7 minutes.
This is crazy. It's like Clawson with Griffis.

Hey Pop, there's no Booker or Beal and you are getting embarrassed by Èric Gordon and Grayson Allen.

Time to reconsider the experiment before you mess up Sochan.

So does KD get the prize for first dunk on Wemby?

Keldon plus the second team briefly got it down to single digits with KD on the floor before back to back threes from Watanabe.

Hope y'all didn't go to sleep. 5 point game with 8:22 left. Wemby getting into 4th quarter mode. But KD will probably come back in.

Sochan picked up his 4th foul with 8:22 left in the 3rd and has been out the last 12 minutes.

ok Spurs...

edit: this overall run started when Sochan went out in the 3rd

ok Spurs...

edit: this overall run started when Sochan went out in the 3rd
Yeah. It was 73-53 when Sochan exited. It was 95-82 at the end of the 3rd. Now it's 98-93.

Sochan back in.

That KD jumper over Vic and Sochan was glorious.

Pop went with last year's if healthy starting lineup of Jones/Vassell/Johnson/Sochan/Collins for a stretch to hold the lead. Interestingly, that lineup only played 1 min this season. Then he replaced Sochan with Wemby.

Now he's going with what I thought would be the closing lineup this season with Wemby and Sochan together in the frontcourt.

Last edited:
I was thinking that this was even a "moral victory" type of game but that was nuts. Lots to like about the Spurs tonight but I love the grit.

The Spurs led for 1.2 seconds of this game! Pop pulled all the right lineup strings with the comeback. Vassell, KJ, and Wemby were so good down the stretch.

original_240046_RIrfxNxdc49e83seq7OB47ghe

LOL at Chuck. "How do you say churro in French?"

The Spurs started 13-0 vs. the Suns with Booker.

Pretty impressive game here. Up 53-28 with 8:31 left.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty optimistic Spurs fan, but this team has far surpassed my expectations. Every player looks as good as my high-end expectations. They're evolving in front of us. Sochan was much improved at PG. He had 14/5/9 with only 1 turnover. Worth noting despite the 13-0 run to start the game, Sochan was 0 and Tre Jones as +19.

I thought this would finally be an inventory year to take stock and see who would be part of the future with Wemby. Well after 5 games, I think the core 6 are all keepers. Bassey has been good in spots although he barely played tonight. Branham looks like a professional bench scorer who can generate instant offense and doesn't hurt you too much when his shot isn't falling.

Worth noting KBD and Eubanks played well for the Suns. Happy that they landed on their feet, but the Suns can't depend them to be part of a championship rotation.

Next games on Sunday at 3:30 vs. the Raptors and Monday at 7:00 at the Pacers. I'm busy Sunday afternoon and I'll miss some of the Panthers and Spurs.

Collins has been pretty good in what I've seen, which I think is funny cause someone on the other thread said 'nobody is coming to watch Zach Collins.' Vassell thinks he is a dude but I'm not so sure he has it. I like Johnson's game the most out of the non-Victor players

I don't know if Vassell has "it." But he sure looked like it in the 1st half. He had 17 on 7-10 fg, 3-3 from deep. On the season, he's shooting 36-67 (.537) and 11-27 (.407) and averaging 19.4 despite missing a half.

I think this roster needs a veteran PG and a star player as a 2nd option between Wemby and Vassell to compete for a championship. Right now, my ideal championship roster around this core 2-3 years from would be something like:

PG Veteran PG, Jones
SG Vassell, Branham
SF Star SF, Johnson
PF Wemby, Sochan
C Collins

With Bassey, Barlow, Cissoko, and another young guard rounding out the roster. I don't think they'll get that PG or SF from the draft unless they get lucky with the Hawks picks or draft really well mid-1st.

Back